PDA

View Full Version : Andrew’s AGD Chronicles 9 June 2007

Badmovies.org
06-09-2007, 10:31 PM
In my last Chronicles I mentioned going to play paintball with my nephews. Since they seemed to really enjoy themselves, I decided to proceed with something I had been thinking about doing. I will be upgrading my second marker to something comparable to the MiniTac Pro.

After changing to a Recon Rail and Y-Grip (with Splinter Pro Trigger), I decided to play with the marker today. That would let me see how it worked. I switched over my tank from the MiniTac Pro for the day, because it has an AGD Flatline Reg.

I was playing at Outdoor Adventures Rosedale and turned in my second Crossfire 68/4500 tank to have an AGD Flatline Reg installed (another part of the upgrade for the marker).

Once I arrived at the field, I realized that I had left my toolkit. Man, that was stupid. Especially once I aired up and realized that I had a problem: the marker was leaking when the trigger was pulled and held back. I drove back home to get my kit. Replacing the o-rings in the ULT (all four) did not solve the problem, which made me think for a few. I went ahead and removed a shim from the Lvl 10 and that solved the leak.

Next time, I’ll not forget my toolkit. It has everything required to fix almost anything that normally could go wrong. Shims, o-rings of all types, Teflon tape, carriers, and such are in there (along with wrenches, Allen wrenches, and probes for removing o-rings).

This ULT is pretty much brand new, so I shot out two tanks of air once I got it working correctly. That helped break it in, but even with the tank turned to 1200 psi I couldn’t get the same rate of fire I can out of the MiniTac Pro. On the other hand, the MiniTac Pro’s ULT is one I’ve had for a while now and it is well broken in.

I wasn’t too happy with the position of the air supply line. It lies right along the foregrip. I’ve ordered a 10” line (the line on it is a 13”), to try and change the position. However, after playing today I didn’t find that gripping the foregrip and hose was uncomfortable.

There were not many walk-on players today at Rosedale OA, compared to other times I have been out there. We had a Blue Team with 9 players and the Red Team had 7 players. I was on Blue, who had apparently been losing all the games. They certainly were a largely inexperienced group.

Shooting X-Ball Silver again though my Scepter with the .690 insert. I went through 1000 balls in six games, but I got out one game pretty quick, so it was more like five games, meaning an average of 200 balls per game.

My chrono was good, ten shots with the highest being 293 and the lowest 276. The 293 was an aberration, all of the other shots were under 283. I’ve seen that sort of thing before and with X-Ball Silver. Based on my fitting tests, I think that sometimes the X-Ball Silver has a ball with some variance and that is what causes the weird velocity spike shots.

One game, when I got out early (I’ll talk about that in a few), I did not take out anyone. Two games I eliminated four and three games I took out three.

The game when I got out early was a great shot by one guy on the other team. We were playing on a field with a big hill in the center. At the start, I ran forward fast as I could. I tried to get one bunker too far (I was trying to keep the other team pushed back – you can do it on that field if they go slow and you RUN) and ended up diving over the side of the hill when two opposing players unloaded on me. Lying on the side of the hill, I could see two opposing players moving in the low area. I opened fire at fairly far range (35 – 40 yards) and they dove for cover. I was shooting through a 6” hole in a light tangle of vines 3’ in front of me. The other guys had to shoot uphill. They were in trouble, but one of them tried maybe half a dozen shots and one sailed perfectly through my little firing hole and hit me in the mask. Man, that was a great shot!

One game I pushed up (my team did not like to advance) and took cover behind a thick grass clump. A big field grass plant, like the ornamental grass you see used in landscaping, is pretty good cover. From there, I engaged two of the opposing team who tried to move down the tapeline and flank us. I was shooting through heavy brush, but managed to get both of them. Moving quickly to my left I found and engaged another guy who was hiding under a fallen tree. He was counting on his friends (who I had just gotten) to cover him from my direction. I stitched him and pushed forward, pretty much to the enemy back tape and didn’t find anyone. Doubling back, I heard a firefight start up and I charged to help. Got one of them, but another of their team had done the same as me and took me out as I turned and started firing at him.

There were a couple of good firefights today. A game on the hill I ran up, realized that there was an opponent hiding out behind a pallet and playing it stealthy. I kept two of my team back, because they were going to walk into his line of fire; I unloaded on the pallet. It took about 120 balls, but I finally snuck one through the slats. When I moved up, I caught another guy lying down in an ambush position to get our guys who were moving up the low side of the hill. Then, and this was a blast, I got into a short range (12 yards) horrific firefight with another guy. I had a pallet for cover and he had a thick tangle of vines and a tree. We couldn’t get each other, though we were slinging some serious paint. Finally, I got him by planting my foot out and suddenly standing up and leaning, giving me a clear shot at him. We were both snapshooting as I did it, but I knew where I was going and was firing before my barrel cleared the obstacle. I put one hit on his shoulder and tucked back in.

Standing up and shooting can be a great way to get an angle or clear shot when you play woodsball. One game I did it and suddenly saw this BRIGHT BLUE Pulse loader to shoot at. What is hilarious is that I was firing at another guy, but upon seeing the BRIGHT BLUE loader, I just had to hit that player. I unloaded on it and got him. Unfortunately, standing up also makes you a good target too. Another player on that team shot me in the head about three times. However, I had already gotten two of them on that flanking attack and run another away. It distracted the opposing team enough for a force from my team to push through the other team, grab the flag, and head back to our base.

Seeing that BRIGHT BLUE Pulse was awesomely funny to me. The Pulse itself was only a smoky blue (I think), but it was half full of blue paintballs. With the sun hitting it through the trees, it nearly glowed.

Interesting thing, when you are shooting through light and dark in the woods, aim up. I noticed that I was naturally aiming too low. Correcting by aiming a bit high was rewarding me well.

Something that plagued me the last time I was out was other people picking up my pods (and not returning them). To fix that, I wrote “Badmovies.org” and “Andrew” on all of them with silver Sharpee marker. Today, I got all my pods back.

To make sure I don’t forget my toolkit again, I am going to make a quick checklist:
Marker
Loader (with batteries)
Air Tank
Barrel Condom
Barrel Kit and Inserts
Pods and Carrying Pack
Toolkit
Squeegie
Mask
Mask Spray and Small Towel
Water/Gatorade
Trail Mix or another snack
Paintballs (if purchased beforehand)

The Y-Grip was very comfortable to use. I love it. The only detractor is that you need to push the foregrip out by using something like the Recon Rail with its adjustable foregrip slot.

After the tank comes back with the Flatline Reg on it, the last upgrade I have planned for this marker is an Exile Body. Heck, I think once the upgrades are done and the ULT fully broken in, I won't mind using this one whenever. I certainly didn't feel like it was a secondhand marker compared to my normal primary, the MiniTac Pro.

This might be the last time I get to play for a while. In fact, I didn't think I was going to play today. My wife, Katie, is very close to delivering our third child and, even though Rosedale OA is only twenty minutes away, I think I'll postpone playing again until after the baby is here.

Shot count for this marker is now 16,000

Picture of this marker:
http://www.badmovies.org/common/forum/rtpro_20070609.jpg

Current setup for this marker:

X-Valve with Lvl 10 (1 shim, 2.0 carrier)
ULE Mainbody
Recon Rail
Y-Grip with Splinter Pro Trigger
ULT (6 ULT shims)
Hogue .45 Grips
Viewloader Vlocity
CP Perfect Drop
RT Pro Front Grip
13” Shrink-wrapped Hose w/Quick Disconnect
68/4500 Tank with AGD 4500 Flatline Regulator and Dye Rhino cover
12" Powerlyte 2007 Scepter kit (.684, .686, .688, .690, and .692 inserts)

Previous entries in the Chronicles here:

26 May 2007:
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=215872

12 May 2007:
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=214981

28 April 2007
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=214340

22 April 2007
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=213998

14 April 2007:
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=213611

5 April 2007: