PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Strip Aluminum Of Its Colors

Micromag5371
01-07-2002, 07:14 PM
ok...First off, I am sorry if this Belongs in the Tech forums, i dont know but i thought it might be better to post it in here.

The question speaks for itsself. How can i take Annodizing off of aluminum, and polish it so it looks chrome? Say, if i bought a PMI pure energy tank, how would i go about Taking the black coating off so i could make it shine like SS or polished aluminum? any info or input would be appreciated, i might like to try this.

nutz
01-07-2002, 07:18 PM
dont know how... but i would recomend taking the paint off of ur tank.....

zvanut
01-07-2002, 07:20 PM
nutz, dont u mean u dont suggest removing it, if not thats my suggestion?

SoupRman
01-07-2002, 07:24 PM
taking the paint off your tank off your tank may:

cause whoever is filling to refuse to fill it

it not pass hydro

be dangerous

anyways the best way to take off any paint off of metal woudl be to hand-sand it off. start with using emory sand paper 320, 400, 600 then get wet-dry sand paper 1000, and then 2000. make sure you sand everythign off evenly and take off coat by coat and not be to hard on the surface. do not use a dremel tool to polish. also after 2000, get some nice chrome polish from the auto store (mother's mag) and polish it up to give it that nice look. i did this on my mag only to 600 and it gave it a nice shine (see pictures).

i am not liable by any damage you do to anything that you polish. yoru doing it at yoru own will :).

http://home.houston.rr.com/paintballkingz/automag/AUT_0644.JPG

DaXtremeist
01-07-2002, 07:36 PM
actually that is a good way to get paint off but ano is a little different and alot harder. if you do a search i know a couple years ago i saw several posts of using some oven cleaner to remove ano.

Micromag5371
01-07-2002, 07:52 PM
ok...well i know not to do it to my current tank, becuz its fiber...lol. but a PMI 48 CU? i see people with aluminum tanks that are polished or shiney, not black. i think it would be possible, your not weakening itbecause your taking off paint. but i wont try it, im not getting an aluminum tank. i heard you can do this from a Q&A from R/C car action, i want to do this to a d/f, and maybe some other stuff on my gun.

Any body have or have access to a milling machine? i got an invention for a dropforward, and it would be cool if i could make it or have somebody make them...pretty neat stuff. i might go to my local regional highschool where the kids operate the machines and give them $25 to make anything i want...

LaW
01-07-2002, 08:22 PM
steel wool is nice :)

DYE-BaLLeR
01-07-2002, 08:28 PM
from miscue.... dont mill your tank

LaW
01-07-2002, 08:30 PM
haha good point :)