PDA

View Full Version : PTP MicroMag

WSCopic
06-19-2007, 06:54 AM
Howdy, just purchased a LNIB MicroMag. I haven't owned a Mag since about '96, but have always regretted selling it, so this is my replacement.

I have read a few similar threads, but was just looking for tip pertaining to this style of Mag. I didn't know if the MicroMag has any special quirks that I should know about.

It doesn't have a LVL10 bolt, is that a necessity or just a nice addition?

Thanks for any info.

Warwitch
06-19-2007, 07:39 AM
Welcome back to the family! Now post pics before we have you bludgeoned into submission :argh:

Level 10 is both a nice addition AND a necessity ;)

WSCopic
06-19-2007, 08:00 AM
I don't have the gun in my possession yet, unfortunately.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=004&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=140127995205&rd=1&rd=1

Link to the EBay auction. I think that is a decnt price. It was $100 until about 1 hour left....grrr. :D

Anyway, nothing fancy about it. It matches most of my other guns. I will have to look into the lvl 10 and I already contacted Forest at PTP about a vert asa/foregrip.

They have nickel vert ASAs or gloss black/nickel one piece gas through grips. Which do you guys recommend?

Warwitch
06-19-2007, 08:32 AM
Looks like its in really good condition. Nice score!

Walrus
06-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Vert ASA's are nice, but if you aren't running a vert air source or expansion chamber then I would just go with a gas thru grip. On my three Micros, two have expansion chambers and one has a gas thru grip. If you want to run HPA, then the gas through is nice, but if you want to use CO2 then you may want to get a vert ASA.

Level 10 is the best upgrade for a Mag. If you don't have it, make plans to get it.

Congrats on the purchase, but please keep the trigger frame on there and don't hack it up :D It is nice to see one that still has the PTP info on the frame!

athomas
06-19-2007, 12:44 PM
I have one like that. The level 10 bolt tip can be tight in the breach area or these bodies. You may need to sand it down just a bit if you get one.

A gas through grip would be a nice addition. You will need a PTP asa adapter to fit on the front of the body.

WSCopic
06-20-2007, 04:06 PM
I found out that he has located the stock PTP barrel, assuming it is an Armson. :)

That sweetens the deal, old school smartypants all american and the stock barrel. Too bad both are probably about a .710 ID. :(

Ordered the gas through from PTP today, so assuming everything comes together, I can have pictures this weekend. Woot....no beatings for me. :rolleyes:

WSCopic
06-25-2007, 06:31 AM
Received my MicroMag. Aired it up and it shot just sweet in my basement for about 500 rounds of air. (I was shooting some oil through it at the time.)

Aired it up the next morning at the field, and the bolt stuck instantly.

Cleaned and oiled, air up, bolt stick.

Again, and again.....so I put it back in the gear bag and played pump all day. :/

Got home, aired it up, and shot about 300 air shots through it...not a single bolt stick.

WTH?

I am way rusty on my mag trouble-shooting....what causes bolt stick? Grrrr.

athomas
06-25-2007, 03:20 PM
Thre are a few things that could be causing your bolt stick problems. An older bolt spring can be weak and will definately cause bolt stick. A powertube spacer that is too short can also cause a bit of bolt stick but is less likely.

Bolt stick can be exaggerated by temperature and humidity, which could explain why it shoots in your basement buy not at the field.

I would definately change the bolt spring first.

WSCopic
06-25-2007, 05:20 PM
Sounds very likely, as it was about 98% humidity this past Sunday as well as around 80-90 degrees depending on the time of day.

So, will installing a lvl 10 kit replace all the seals, or will I need a seal kit as well? The spring comes in the kit, right?

Thanks for the help so far.....I need to watch the video again....:D

Coralis
06-25-2007, 06:49 PM
yes the level 10 comes with the seals necessary for the level 10 to function , be aware that you may have to sand the bolt or the breech ( the bolt is easier imo) to make it work properly.

WSCopic
06-25-2007, 08:09 PM
Ugg. That sounds like a P.I.T.A.

Me and hand tools are like the ape at the beginning of 2001: A Space Odyssey. I am good with big heavy hand tools that smash stuff, but sanding a paintgun.....hmm....I see many chances to screw up the gun.

:(

going_home
06-25-2007, 08:16 PM
yes the level 10 comes with the seals necessary for the level 10 to function , be aware that you may have to sand the bolt or the breech ( the bolt is easier imo) to make it work properly.

I put an Xvalve in mine and the level 10 fit just fine.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b195/going_home/DSC_0006-2.jpg

Coralis
06-25-2007, 10:26 PM

thats why i said may have to sand down the bolt/breech , i had to on mine, mine is also nickel plated so it may not be the reason as well . also sanding the bolt only took like 20 mins with some emory cloth so its not a big deal.

athomas
06-26-2007, 05:59 AM
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b195/going_home/DSC_0006-2.jpg
Yours is a newer model. I think the older ones were smaller inside. I had to sand mine as well.

It doesn't take very much. It is easier to sand the bolt than the breach. Its just that with the breach sanded all future bolts will fit and with the bolt sanded, only that level 10 bolt will fit.

WSCopic: The level 10 replaces the powertube orings, spring and bolt only. You will still need an oring kit for the valve. That will ensure you are always able to maintain your gun.