PDA

View Full Version : idiotic game called paintball.

ProblemKinder
06-21-2007, 10:36 PM
"There was some sort of idiotic game called paintball going on back at the encampment,..."

this was taken from a book i'm reading called The Sigma Protocol written by Robert Ludlum.

I just thought it was funny. I don't FEEL idiotic...although sometimes when i look at all the welts i acquire from a day of paintball...i begin to wonder :rolleyes:

SCpoloRicker
06-21-2007, 11:30 PM
Ludlum

Fail. ;)

It's funny, most hobbies seem a bit absurd when viewed from the outside. It's tough enough to explain paintball to people who aren't aware; imagine explaining some of the odder hobbies people pick up and take great interest in.

Ninjeff
06-22-2007, 02:24 AM
seems like a better hobby then chasing a little white ball around acres of land trying to make it fall into a tiny hole.

;)

Instead we just use the balls to chase PEOPLE around acres of land.....and then try to shoot them with it.

See..paintball is way cooler than golf.

maglover728
06-22-2007, 02:48 AM
"why do you play paintball?"

"What do you do for fun?"

"I play WOW on line."

"Yeah, good bye."

trevorjk
06-22-2007, 03:13 AM
seems like a better hobby then chasing a little white ball around acres of land trying to make it fall into a tiny hole.

;)

Instead we just use the balls to chase PEOPLE around acres of land.....and then try to shoot them with it.

See..paintball is way cooler than golf.

i like to sit down while moving my wrist back and forth while agressively pushing my self faster and harder...

man i love my motorcycle :spit_take

PBI82
06-22-2007, 04:49 AM

"I play WOW on line."

"Yeah, good bye."

I play wow and paintball :P

Jaan
06-22-2007, 09:10 AM
"There was some sort of idiotic game called paintball going on back at the encampment,..."

this was taken from a book i'm reading called The Sigma Protocol written by Robert Ludlum.Robert Ludlum started his career in Broadway musicals. Read into that what you will.

"I play WOW on line."It's spelled WoW.

Tac-OneFun
06-22-2007, 09:14 AM
Man i hate Robert Ludlum..

i cant make it through the last 52 pages of a 752 page book. can't stand his writing style.

Eurochris
06-22-2007, 10:31 AM
Man i hate Robert Ludlum..

i cant make it through the last 52 pages of a 752 page book. can't stand his writing style.
I actually like reading his books occaisonally, however I like Dale Brown, Harold Coyle, and Tom Clancy better.

-Eurochris

Ninjeff
06-22-2007, 05:17 PM
i like to sit down while moving my wrist back and forth while agressively pushing my self faster and harder...

man i love my motorcycle :spit_take

AMEN! :headbang:

paintballfiend
06-22-2007, 06:34 PM
I plays th3 pAINtball!!!eleven11!!!

ProblemKinder
06-22-2007, 06:35 PM
he's referring to the capitolization of the W's. he says it's WoW as apposed to WOW. :rolleyes:

Roger Wilco
06-22-2007, 07:01 PM
he's referring to the capitolization of the W's. he says it's WoW as apposed to WOW. :rolleyes:
That's really interesting.

behemoth
06-22-2007, 07:13 PM

GREAT SCOTT!

ProblemKinder
06-22-2007, 07:49 PM

lol that's one way of putting it i guess :D

i tell you what, one thing I don't miss (and there are PLENTY of things i don't miss) about the navy, is all the ET's talking about warcraft all the time....it was like they had no other life, it was work, and warcraft. possibly sleep. :tard:

Roger Wilco
06-22-2007, 07:51 PM

i tell you what, one thing I don't miss (and there are PLENTY of things i don't miss) about the navy, is all the ET's talking about warcraft all the time....it was like they had no other life, it was work, and warcraft. possibly sleep. :tard:

Really? Wow.

Mescalito
06-22-2007, 09:07 PM

this was taken from a book i'm reading called The Sigma Protocol written by Robert Ludlum.

I just thought it was funny. I don't FEEL idiotic...although sometimes when i look at all the welts i acquire from a day of paintball...i begin to wonder :rolleyes:

You think paintballers have it bad? You guys get almost no "wuffos". Paintball is mainstream these days. How many times a day are you asked to explain exatly why you play paintball? How many times do you think I have heard "The only thing that falls fromt he sky is bird **** and idiots," and how many more times will I hear it?

People always fear the unknown. The will react to thier fear by criticizing. Thats how people work. We choose our hobbies and have to live with the concequences.

Then again, a jammed paintball gun and a malfunctioning parachute... Well those are two very different animals. :D

skife
06-22-2007, 09:20 PM
GREAT SCOTT!

you ever wonder who scott was?
i know i do

cyrus-the-virus
06-22-2007, 10:30 PM
you ever wonder who scott was?
i know i do

that makes one of us.

ProblemKinder
06-23-2007, 12:45 AM
You think paintballers have it bad? You guys get almost no "wuffos". Paintball is mainstream these days. How many times a day are you asked to explain exatly why you play paintball? How many times do you think I have heard "The only thing that falls fromt he sky is bird **** and idiots," and how many more times will I hear it?

People always fear the unknown. The will react to thier fear by criticizing. Thats how people work. We choose our hobbies and have to live with the concequences.

Then again, a jammed paintball gun and a malfunctioning parachute... Well those are two very different animals. :D

i'm going to assume you...like to go sky diving?

i dunno, i think sky diving is more mainstream. when people hear about sky divers they usually just say "oh, they're just a thrill seaker" or "an adrenaline junkie"

when people hear that i play paintball, most of them refuse to even consider it a sport :eek: "why would you run around and get shot at, doesn't it hurt? sounds silly to me..."

thats the response i usually get :rolleyes: they just don't understand the adrenaline rush you get from doing things like sky diving and playing paintball. they'd much rather take part in their safe "intelligent" hobbies :rolleyes:

PBI82
06-23-2007, 04:49 AM
I think they reply i get from paintball the most is "oh you play paintball? I have once but it hurt." "I want to but i'm afraid it will hurt"

olinar
06-23-2007, 07:01 AM
i understand exactly why i play and why everyone else does. i have a violent side , and that side of me wants nothing more than to hunt something that is hunting me as well. the survival of the fittest without the whole "death" part.

i play because i want to be able to hunt someone out and shoot them without anyone getting hurt. the adrenaline plays a big role in our hobby and frankly its what we thrive on. i have never felt more alive than when im running from cover to cover knowing full well that someone is gunning for me. it may seem barbaric to some but once you play you understand why we play.

ProblemKinder
06-23-2007, 10:41 AM
I think they reply i get from paintball the most is "oh you play paintball? I have once but it hurt." "I want to but i'm afraid it will hurt"

word.

Ninjeff
06-23-2007, 03:21 PM
Problem ive found is that alot of people have "tried" paintball.

Unfourtunately that consisted of them playing with some friends in the woods with guns from Wally world that probably werent chrono'd. So go figure it hurt like hell and they dont want to try again.

The ones i have persuaded to play at a real field have ALWAYS come back for more.

Or the ones that havent played always say " doesnt it hurt?!?"

"well, yes, but just enough to get your blood pumping, and the pain goes away in about 10 seconds. It makes you feel alive"

PBI82
06-23-2007, 08:46 PM
I wonder if Ludlum would have ever considered playing paintball. I know the quote from his book says paintball is "idodic" but is that just part of the character or his feelings about the game :ninja:

rabidchihauhau
06-23-2007, 10:28 PM
Ludlum is entitled to put anything he wants to in his book.

Look at him - BIG advances, nice house, nice car, plenty of cash in the bank, an agent who options his stories for movies (he gets paid whether it gets filmed or not) - and he get's to sit down while he works AND gets paid for making stuff up in his head.

Given that lifestyle, I'd say anything short of it is 'idiotic'...

ProblemKinder
06-23-2007, 11:30 PM
Ludlum is entitled to put anything he wants to in his book.

Look at him - BIG advances, nice house, nice car, plenty of cash in the bank, an agent who options his stories for movies (he gets paid whether it gets filmed or not) - and he get's to sit down while he works AND gets paid for making stuff up in his head.

Given that lifestyle, I'd say anything short of it is 'idiotic'...

he can keep his fancy cars and his big movies. i'll take my paintball :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

rabidchihauhau
06-24-2007, 12:45 AM
he can keep his fancy cars and his big movies. i'll take my paintball :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Wouldn't it be nice tho if you could pay for paintball by making stuff up in your head?

And let's not forget and be honest at the same time: A LOT of paintball IS idiocy...

Lenny
06-24-2007, 04:03 AM
GREAT SCOTT!
Is that indeed fact? Or simply a clever ruse?

/or something like that

hitech
06-26-2007, 03:14 PM
I've read all his books (big fan of his writting) and don't even remember that quote. I'm not doubting you, just that it didn't make a big enough impression on me to remember it.

DevilMan
06-26-2007, 03:49 PM

heheheheeeee well there wasn't WoW when I was in.. but the first gen WC sure made the sea flow by quicker. Though we weren't that wound up into it.

BTW, I was a DS.... Sounds like that was before your time though...

DM

Tao
06-26-2007, 03:54 PM
I play wow and paintball :P

Wow (lol pun) call guiness, you are the first WOW multitasker. You must be low level if you aren't devoting ALL of your time to it. (I don't play WOW I am sick of it since thats all my friends do/talk about :P)

ProblemKinder
06-26-2007, 04:03 PM
I've read all his books (big fan of his writting) and don't even remember that quote. I'm not doubting you, just that it didn't make a big enough impression on me to remember it.

i just happened to be by my computer when i read it, and hopped on AO to share it :)

i'll probably forget it in a few weeks. :tard:

ProblemKinder
06-26-2007, 04:04 PM
heheheheeeee well there wasn't WoW when I was in.. but the first gen WC sure made the sea flow by quicker. Though we weren't that wound up into it.

BTW, I was a DS.... Sounds like that was before your time though...

DM

hrmm...a DS? what is that? I was a nuclear EM.