PDA

View Full Version : USPS and shipping markers

blizpaintball42
06-29-2007, 12:33 AM
Well something extremely odd happened to me today.

I walked into the post office, purchased a box, packed my Angel and barrel kit to send out, payed for shipping and insurance and as I'm getting ready to walk out the door this dude on the phone yells WAIT!

I shipped a gun out from the same post office on Tuesday. The guy was in his office to the right of the counter, and when he heard me tell the lady "I'm shipping a paintball marker" he yelled out "Is there a tank?" to which I replied no and he said "ok cool no problem."

So today when I walked in he ran to the phone and called his supervisor. After everything was said and done and I was ready to walk out, he stopped me. When he got off the phone he informed me that he couldn't ship my gun, unless I have a Federal Firearms License. WHAT?!?

I kindly explained to him that not only did I ship a marker at his post office on Tuesday, I shipped one a week ago as well, not to mention there are four guns coming to me via USPS this week. He told me under no certain circumstances would he ship it.

I was completely stumped. I've been buying and selling guns online since like 2001 (mostly on PBN) and have used the USPS probably a hundred or so times to ship, as well as UPS and FedEx. Not to mention, people sending me their markers through USPS. I've NEVER in my life had this problem before.

He printed up the "restriction" reguarding "firearms", and basically at the end it says "or any air or gas powered gun, that is powerful enough to be used as a weapon". When I pointed out that paintball markers are used in a game to mark other people, so they don't do all that much damage (yes we all know that they CAN if they are misused, we don't need to discuss that, because he doesn't know any better) since they are MEANT to be shot at people. He told me if I had a problem with the regulations that I should write a letter to my Congressman.

Needless to say, I went up to UPS, and they shipped it no problem, for less money.

But has anybody else had this problem????

Rudz
06-29-2007, 12:37 AM
without a tank, it shouldnt be a problem, the guy must be mental

DevilMan
06-29-2007, 12:39 AM
I never ever ever in the history of me........... shipped out a paintball gun, or marker!!!!

:D

I only ship sports equipment!!!!

The FFL is FEDERAL FIREARMS LICENSE... a marker is NOT a firearm... but why bother with the idiot at the PO???? Just box it before hand and A. it's SPORTS GEAR or B. take it to another PO...

Stupid people aren't worth the waste of time...

Just me thoughts anywho...

DM

blizpaintball42
06-29-2007, 12:41 AM
Even with a tank, as long as the regulator is off the tank it shouldn't be a problem... but he told me that you can't ship a used regulator because there could be gas in there that can cause an explosion (not pressure related... like big boom and fireball).

And I've tried the sports equipment thing... they want to know what kind of sports equipment is in a 12"X10"X3" box and is worth 500+ dollars.

mr doo doo
06-29-2007, 12:48 AM
wow, what a HORRIBLE experience. that would suck to have someone stop you in front of everyone and embarrass you like that.

yea, like devilman said," marker" not "firearm" totally different.

blizpaintball42
06-29-2007, 01:01 AM
Unfortunately, he was the postmaster, and on the phone with his supervisor. I tried explaining all of these things to him and he just wouldn't hear it. UPS asked absolutely nothing, and it was cheaper so I'm just going to use them from now on.

RogueFactor
06-29-2007, 01:08 AM
Unfortunately, he was the postmaster, and on the phone with his supervisor. I tried explaining all of these things to him and he just wouldn't hear it. UPS asked absolutely nothing, and it was cheaper so I'm just going to use them from now on.

The PostMaster does not have a supervisor at his Post Office. The PostMaster is the top dog, and runs that station. So if he told you that he is the PostMaster, he lied to you.

Do this, get me the guys full name and the address of the post office. I will make a few calls and see what I come up with.

Tao
06-29-2007, 01:11 AM
I just got a gun delivered via USPS a few months ago. Try "dissasembling" it and call it "misc Parts" Where are they going to draw the line?

blizpaintball42
06-29-2007, 01:16 AM
So there's not a guy above the Post Master, who he has to answer to at any given point on the chain?

It's really not that big of an issue that I'm going to go back and find out the guys name and what not, I'll just use UPS. I was just trying to see if anybody else has had this problem.

Ydna
07-01-2007, 09:51 PM
Yeah, it's complete and utter lunacy, but unfortunately not too uncommon. I've had simialr experiences over the past few years at both fedex and ups (which is part of the reason why I use usps exclusively, these days).

I don't think you should relent by disassembling the gun and bothering with all that. You shouldn't have to go out of your way in this situation, rather the misinformed person needs to stop being pompous and listen to somebody else, and in so do their job correctly.

drg
07-01-2007, 10:41 PM
Best solution -- buy postage online. Then all you do is drop the box and nobody asks you anything. You can even put it in an APC, or hand it to your postman/woman. If you don't have a scale handy, use flat-rate boxes. Most markers can fit in a flat rate box.

CKY_Alliance
07-01-2007, 11:07 PM
When they ask me what the package contains I just tell them "sports equipment" and if they ask what type I say "paintball gear" and it has never gone any further then that...

Pneumagger
07-01-2007, 11:15 PM
If I need to buy a box or packing supplies I just purchase them and walk out to my car and pack it there. I've always been weary about walking into a PO with a PB gun in hand. I've even told the clerk it was a paintball marker in the box and they don't care.

Infact, I once shipped a tricked out Ion and the box got wrecked with he marker en route. We had to use all the insurance slips and the whole shebang to replace the missing marker - and I'm pretty sure if shipping pb guns were illegal, they would not have followed through with the insurance and replacement.

cyberave68
07-02-2007, 12:11 PM
Well the easy fix is to print your labels online, and drop the package off in a drop box. I do it all the time. I never deal with the people at the post office face to face....

punkncat
07-02-2007, 12:31 PM
I suggest you read the post put up by Tuna (I think) concerning this. Paintball markers both are and are not firearms in the eyes of the law.

Personally I always box them before taking to the post and insure them as "sporting goods".

Titus
07-05-2007, 08:00 PM
I wouldn't give USPS the boot and switch to UPs over some idiot.

You don't have those self service machines at your post office? They are great! You do all the work yourself and no questions asked.

blizpaintball42
07-05-2007, 09:00 PM
Hahahah self service? I live in the boondocks... middle of no where.

I did contact the USPS customer support and they told me to contact the ATF. But when I have amminution I'm going to go and let the guy who gave me a hard time have it.