PDA

View Full Version : Low pressure pump cocker?

hockeyhawk77
06-30-2007, 04:20 PM
I have a 99 pump cocker that I got off of ebay for like $95, not the prettiest horse in the stable but shoots great and that's why I got it. This is my first cocker and I don't know much about cockers. I run it on a 68/4500 right now, and I'm going to stick to running it on nitro. It is my understanding that some cockers with certain internals can run on low pressure with a preset lp tank. My question is could I get my cocker to run on a preset lp tank, such as a preset 450psi output tank? And would it even be worth it over running it on a preset hp output tank? Thanks.

MisterBones25
06-30-2007, 04:31 PM
all you need is a spring kit and maby a reg, not nessisary though, and you can get it to run on whatever pressure you want.

ThePixelGuru
06-30-2007, 05:55 PM
Yeah, you could do it, but before you jump in you might want to ask yourself why. What advantage are you looking for in doing this? I assume you've got a vertical regulator on it (under and slightly behind the front block, dunno how familiar you are with that stuff), so you're already regulating the pressure with that. If you regulate down to, say, 300psi with that reg, there will be no difference in internal pressure to the marker regardless of which tank you use. You might hurt recharge rate, actually, not that it matters with a pump...

My point here is that I don't see an advantage. There's the old argument that more gas (volume) behind the ball at a lower pressure is preferable to less volume at higher pressure because it's more gentle on the ball or whatever, but that's not proven at all. But if you want to do that, you can accomplish it with a spring kit and by turning down your vert reg. Buying a new tank would be a waste of money.

Anyway, if you want some really good reading on 'cockers, check Moody Paintball Product's tech articles, here (http://www.moodypaintball.com/pages/tech/index.htm). There's a good article on how to set a regulator (http://www.moodypaintball.com/pages/tech/reg.htm) that could probably help you a lot. It might seem to be a lot of reading, but reading all those articles will save you a lot of time, effort and frustration down the road. Cheers.

hockeyhawk77
06-30-2007, 09:06 PM
That's exactly what I wanted to know, if there was any advantage in doing so. Thanks guys. :cheers: