PDA

View Full Version : Chuffing Question

Aslan
07-08-2007, 04:36 AM
Okay, today I wnet to the field and had a bit of a problem with my Mag...which is not usual because my classic mag has been ultra reliable over the past 3-4 years.

What happened was that all the sudden I'd pull the trigger and it would "chuff" as if I short stroked it or the level 10 was sensing a ball in the way.

What pissed me off about it is it only happened once in awhile...a couple times every 200-400 shots. But when it did happen, it was mega inconvenient.

The 3 possible solutions I came up with (which are probably all wrong) are as follows:

3) Level 10 adjustment problem, possibly too sensitive.
Pro- Definitely seemed to be a level 10 issue.
Con- The Level 10 was not retuned recently so why would it happen out of the blue?

2) A problem with using the retro valve on/off in the Classic valve.
Pro- Recently changed the on/off from the Classic on/off to an on/off out of the retro valve. Since that has changed recently, perhaps that is the cause.
Con- No idea how that could lead to chuffing unless I'm short stroking because I'm not used to it.

1) Damaged Revy
Pro- I realized after the game that the revy feedneck was badly broken with pieces cracked off. Perhaps this was causing misfeeds or broken balls to enter the chamber.
Con- Seems like this would be more noticeable and it seemed like more of a gun problem.

After a game where it was really acting up, I did take the barrel off and look into the chamber/breach and it looked like balls were breaking. However, it didn't look like the bolt was breaking them. Since putting in the Level 10, I've only had maybe 2 ball breaks and those were most likely bad paint. The paint I was using was a little old...it's posssible that that could have contributed.

The good news is that I can use a different hopper or replace the shells and that will eliminate whether or not it's the hopper. I'll also be getting fresh paint next time I play. That will leave just the retro on/off or Level 10 needing adjusting as possible culprits.

Any thoughts from the experts? :hail:

TwilightG
07-08-2007, 06:24 AM
Well, I'm no expert but I might have a few ideas...

3) Level 10 adjustment problem, possibly too sensitive.
Pro- Definitely seemed to be a level 10 issue.
Con- The Level 10 was not retuned recently so why would it happen out of the blue?

I've read in a post or two that a few people had to re-tune their Level 10's recently due to change in humidity. Apparently it could affect the o-ring in the carrier. I have not experienced this (yet) but it sounds feasible.
You have also mentioned a few ball breaks but attribute it to bad paint. You might just want to take a few mins to re-tune your lvl 10 just to make sure. I'm also using the red spring right now. Using the shorter spring was causing the bolt to hit too hard even though my velocity was on target.

2) A problem with using the retro valve on/off in the Classic valve.
Pro- Recently changed the on/off from the Classic on/off to an on/off out of the retro valve. Since that has changed recently, perhaps that is the cause.
Con- No idea how that could lead to chuffing unless I'm short stroking because I'm not used to it.

I just recently installed an rt on/off in my Minimag valve. The former owner had a ULT in there and was causing all sorts of short stroking and even some air leaking. Since putting the rt on/off in there, the thing works like a champ. I have not short stroked it yet. However, my fingers don't move that fast either.

1) Damaged Revy
Pro- I realized after the game that the revy feedneck was badly broken with pieces cracked off. Perhaps this was causing misfeeds or broken balls to enter the chamber.
Con- Seems like this would be more noticeable and it seemed like more of a gun problem.

An occasional misfeed would cause the level 10 to chuff, esp. at high ROF.

I am assuming that you are using HPA? If you're using CO2, that could be another culprit. I've noticed that when I'm running out of air and my pressure is dropping, my bolt will chuff and actually push a paintball down the barrel a little. I might get another shot off on my next trigger pull and end up w/ a barrel break from having 2 paintballs in it.
If the pressure occasionally drops due to CO2, it could be causing the same thing... but this is just my own observation.
*EDIT: CO2 could cause the short stroking problem too if the valve isn't recharging fast enough. If you are using HPA, then I'm all outta suggestions :confused:

Just my 2cents.. I'm curious to see what the experts say. :)

pierce
07-08-2007, 09:55 AM
I would go up one size on your L10 carrier, tempeture does make a difference. I experienced this myself one day, and just so happened Badmovies had posted a thread about this subject. Hope this helps.

Aslan
07-08-2007, 11:50 AM
I have a big scenario game coming up the end of this month. By then I'll hopefully have new shells for my revy and hopefully time to get it all set up with the intellifeed. That will limit the problem being due to the hopper. ;)

I will have the classic on/off with me and that's a 2 minute switch if I think that it's that...so no problem there.

It sounds like perhaps it might be a retune of the Level 10 set-up from what you guys are saying. I'll just have to make sure that I familiarize myself with the Level 10 schematics before I go so I can make that change. I don't know why it would do it now, I've played in this hot, humid weather before with no problems.

I think it's gotta be the Revy shell. The feedneck had cracked real bad and may have bee moving around in there. The only reason I'm leaning towards that is that I played two weeks ago, in worse heat (maybe not as humid though) and the entire set-up worked beautifully. My Prodigy E-Grip is rooting for the problem being sever because my Mag is so reliable I never use that back-up gun anymore. :clap:

To fix this problem you go UP a carrrier size right?

Thanks for the help guys. :cheers:

[NA]WARLORD
07-08-2007, 12:38 PM
well, I would say it was your broken feed neck that caused the issue more then anything, esp if it shattered and a piece fell into the bore where the balls drop. This would/could cause misfeeds and barrel breaks, esp if your using bad paint.

As for tuning the lvl 10, I wouldn't mess with it until you replaced your revvy, especially if it was working fine before this instance. Narrow down your problem by addressing each issue. I would:

1,) fix the revvy, shoot 1 bag of good quality paint.

2.) swap the on/off, repeat above.

3.) if having same issues, re-tune the lvl 10 and repeat above.

Found this to help your tuning go a little easier:

Tuning your Lvl 10:

Oil your o-ring, put it into the 2.0 carrier (2 lines, no dots), slide it onto the bolt stem and attempt to dangle the bolt (you are holding the carrier while trying this). If the bolt slips off the carrier from its own weight, go to a smaller carrier. Use the largest carrier that will not allow the bolt to slip off using this test. Do not add any shims yet. Oil everything, assemble, and break in the o-ring by shooting out a tank of air. After doing this, you may need to change carriers and use the next smallest. Now, start adding shims one at a time until it leaks down the barrel. Take a shim out. You are ready to go.

varq
07-10-2007, 10:17 PM
adiga?

athomas
07-11-2007, 01:36 PM
How old is your bolt spring? Try a new one and see if it helps.