PDA

View Full Version : mag body

nutz
01-08-2002, 06:21 PM
if i could machine an aluminum body to the exact specs of a standard pf mag body, would it work on a 68 classic body rail??? i am taking a metals class at my h/s and may try to do the... i would do aluminum so i could try some crazy milling designs and anodizing for it... :cool:

nutz
01-08-2002, 06:52 PM
any one got a answer?

SGTKennedy
01-08-2002, 06:58 PM
uhmmm. i am not sure... someone was going to do a plastic body and people brought up the reason they used SS is because of the pressure on the ring inside. i cant see there being THAT much pressure as to make the Aluminum have problems, but im not SURE.... if you made it to specs it should work.. but... i doubt you can make it work in metals class.... sorry nutz but there is a fair amount of skill in making the things, if i am wrong well, make me a warp body for my old school rt.

paintbattler
01-08-2002, 07:08 PM
also machines make them too, not by hand

brackis
01-08-2002, 07:35 PM
This would be nearly impossible to do

1. Insane milling, the bolt area and back you dont want to mass with

2. The iside of the body has the Ring to stop the Bolt spring, that would be tough to do, and the bottom side with the threading and the extended parts to hold the rail to body would be almost impossible.

3. Getting a working, high quality machine body would take many runs, timne and expenses not to mention a CNC, lathe and other expensive goodies.

PyRo
01-08-2002, 08:35 PM
Sure, you could do it, and it would work. It would just wear out fast because aluminum is weaker then SS, and will wear out faster with the bolt constantly hitting it. This would be very difficult to do.

nutz
01-08-2002, 09:42 PM
i am 99.9% sure that i maybe capable of doing this because the metals lab at my h/s is loaded with CAD stuff and all the machines i have ever seen and i do know that they put some really expensive stuff in there... you should see some of the work that comes out of there

joeyjoe367
01-09-2002, 02:17 AM
I owned a Z-body, and it's made of aluminum.

They fixed the "weak aluminum" problem by making the backside hole where the valve slides in a bit deeper and added a SS Ring/Cup sorta thing, so that the Bolt would slam against the SS ring, and not directly against the aluminum.

I think that's how micro's work too.