PDA

View Full Version : radar detectors

bentothejam1n
07-18-2007, 03:19 PM
I've been looking on ebay and some go for 30 and some go for 400+. Anybody have experience with them? im looking to spend around 150ish

iambored
07-18-2007, 04:06 PM
Don't go through VA with one. The cops will get you big time for it. our tickets have become OUTRAGEOUS!!!

MANN
07-18-2007, 05:47 PM
I've been looking on ebay and some go for 30 and some go for 400+. Anybody have experience with them?

This is coming from someone who has lost their license for speeding (120 in a 40).

Belltronics (I think thats what mine is). I think its the 990 series or something like that. ~ 400 dollars, and worth every penny.

I have never gotten a speeding ticket with this radar detector (and I have had my fair share of tickets).

MANN
07-18-2007, 05:48 PM
Don't go through VA with one. The cops will get you big time for it. our tickets have become OUTRAGEOUS!!!

I have never driven thru VA without one. Just pull it off VERY quickly if you get caught.

Is it true that the fines for 14+mph went up to 1k. (Just drove thru VA last week. All the way up 81).

iambored
07-18-2007, 06:00 PM
I have never driven thru VA without one. Just pull it off VERY quickly if you get caught.

Is it true that the fines for 14+mph went up to 1k. (Just drove thru VA last week. All the way up 81).
Oh yeah, fines have been sent through the roof. I don't know all the details but the fine is over 1k.

BeaverEater
07-18-2007, 10:20 PM
I dont know much about them, but i know my buddy had a cobra one he bought at best buy for around 100 bucks and it really sucked. He picked up the cops only about half the time and still got a few tickets while using it.

Blazestorm
07-18-2007, 10:32 PM
We stuck a generic one in our minivan... it messes up with things on the sides of the roads... goes off by the motion sensors in front of walmart, and generally sucks ***.

But we haven't gotten a ticket in it yet, gone up to our "top" speed of 110... had it for a year with 3-4 different drivers going across statelines...

When I say "messes up" things on the sides of the roads... I've been in the van going 40 in a 25 and it spazzes out says 20, 39, 15, 20, 35, 40, 40, 20... goes everywhere... when I drive in my car past the same thing, it stays at relatively close to what I'm driving...

Meh, maybe it's just a coincidence, but I've seen it happen at a lot of the other ones...

neppo1345
07-19-2007, 05:07 PM
Valentine 1

Cow hunter
07-19-2007, 11:34 PM

ive been down in VA for 3 weeks, and ive heard its $1500 for a speeding ticket now (residents only). theres a petition on petitions.com that has like 100,000 signatures to get rid of it

oneworld
07-19-2007, 11:52 PM
i bought a cobra from shop here, and if you get a speeding ticket, the company will pay it for you. it also has a jammer in it, so your not going to get a ticket for speeding, but im sure theres some kind of neat fine for having a jammer.

/ my friend had a normal one and when he got pulled over the cop told him to put it under his tire, and he made him drive over it.

plus when the clock you before you see them.. and you dont have enough time to slow down. there worthless..so if your really serious, get one with a jammer.

acropilot19
07-24-2007, 03:33 PM
i bought a cobra from shop here, and if you get a speeding ticket, the company will pay it for you. it also has a jammer in it, so your not going to get a ticket for speeding, but im sure theres some kind of neat fine for having a jammer.

/ my friend had a normal one and when he got pulled over the cop told him to put it under his tire, and he made him drive over it.

plus when the clock you before you see them.. and you dont have enough time to slow down. there worthless..so if your really serious, get one with a jammer.

I can get you on "visual estimation" alone (I'm certified through POST to within 5mph visually estimating speed) and it will stand up in court. I only use radar to varify my visual estimation, and I usually sit in blind corners on the freeway. As you come blazin' around the corner, me and my radar see you before you have even the slightest chance of slowing down. Best bet is to go with the "Flow", leave plenty of following distance between you and the car in front, and get there safe. The fact remains that most people are experts at driving 80mph in a straight line, but throw in a blown tire, or a swerve to avoid an animal or other driver, or rapid DE-celeration, and they react with all the skill they DONT have. :tard:
I see it every day.
Save your money, slow down and get there safe dude.
Acro
P.s. and only get one with a jammer if you want your car taken apart by the cop that stops & searches you. Getting my radar jammed is BEAUTIFUL PC (Probable Cause) for a stop & search.
-just some friendly advice :D

Hexis
07-24-2007, 03:37 PM
I can get you on "visual estimation" alone (I'm certified through POST to within 5mph visually estimating speed) and it will stand up in court. I only use radar to varify my visual estimation, and I usually sit in blind corners on the freeway. As you come blazin' around the corner, me and my radar see you before you have even the slightest chance of slowing down. Best bet is to go with the "Flow", leave plenty of following distance between you and the car in front, and get there safe. The fact remains that most people are experts at driving 80mph in a straight line, but throw in a blown tire, or a swerve to avoid an animal or other driver, or rapid DE-celeration, and they react with all the skill they DONT have. :tard:
I see it every day.
Save your money, slow down and get there safe dude.
Acro
P.s. and only get one with a jammer if you want your car taken apart by the cop that stops & searches you. Getting my radar jammed is BEAUTIFUL PC (Probable Cause) for a stop & search.
-just some friendly advice :D

I'm sorry, your post is inappropriate for any internet forum. Sanity is not allowed here on the net.

MANN
07-24-2007, 05:51 PM
Typical cop response. Problem is they are always there when you dont need them, and never when you do.

Prime example here.

Cops are not above the law. If they pull you over do not allow them to search your car regardless. Dont answer any questions. You should also always keep a voice recorder in your car for this reason.

As far as getting a jammer. meh. Alot of them do not work. Believe me I have tried many.

As for getting a radar detector that will pay your ticket. :rofl: In TN the fine for speeding is only ~30 bucks. Court cost (which will not be covered) is usually over 100.

Lohman446
07-24-2007, 06:26 PM
Illegally jamming a radar SHOULD be (and is) a cause for at least search and seizure, if not federal charges.

Pacifist_Farmer
07-24-2007, 07:24 PM
Typical cop response. Problem is they are always there when you dont need them, and never when you do.

Prime example here.

Cops are not above the law. If they pull you over do not allow them to search your car regardless. Dont answer any questions. You should also always keep a voice recorder in your car for this reason.

Sounds like somebody has some authority figure issues. Police officers are human, some are good some are bad, get over it. :D

Most of the people I knew that thought like that usually got in trouble cause they thought they were above the law.

MANN
07-24-2007, 07:35 PM
Sounds like somebody has some authority figure issues. Police officers are human, some are good some are bad, get over it. :D

Most of the people I knew that thought like that usually got in trouble cause they thought they were above the law.

I dont have any problem with authority. I just dont like people who abuse their power, dont do their job, and are lazy.

oneworld
07-24-2007, 11:27 PM
well i live in a town with 5,000 people, the cops here think there the LAPD or SWAT team..they dont have anything better to but follow kids around, one follwed me for 9 minutes and 23 seconds (timed him) before i relized i was on my crotch rocket and lost him.( they will not mess with you at all)i go 75 in a 40 here all the time, and passed 2 cops and they point to slow down, and move on.

ive also had a ticket for going 97 in a 75 with my car, the cops arent stupid, they can get past the fuzzbuster. there is no way to avoid it, if your gonna speed be prepared to deal with the tickets and insane insurance rates. im 17 and pay over 200 a month on just insurance, thats with 5 tickets.

paintballwannab
07-25-2007, 04:57 AM

I kinda agree with that but don't, I have issues with cops but only the ones that don't follow the same laws they are supose to enforce. If they do no have their lights on they are supose to follow all of the same traffic laws correct? I've seen ohio state patrol speeding down the road just driving around, I've seen local cops kick their lights on to get through a red light and then turn them off as soon as they get past the red light. I know a few officiers that speed all the time but never get a ticket because they are officiers.

Now I know when they are speeding or breaking the laws sometimes its for good reason, I.E. getting behind a speeder, before kicking lights on, but that pisses me off the most when they break and get away with the laws they're supose to enforce. Again this is not all cops, just things I've seen while driving around.

Also I've got pulled over and tickted for 2Mph over, WTF? talk about someone being pissy.
Judge through it out though said there is a +/-3mph allowence from the posted speed limit.

acropilot19
07-25-2007, 06:28 PM

Prime example here.

You have every right not to answer questions, but that will just lead to further inquiry by me. I dont need your permission to search your vehicle. If I have Probable Cause to believe that a crime has been, is about to, or is in the process of being commited, that is all I need. The PC to stop does not have to be the reason I search. If you buzz by me & my radar goes Kablooey, guess what, I'm in your car. If while in your car looking for said jamming device I happen to find further PC (smell weed, see an empty shell casing, whatever) I get to dig deeper, and start pulling panels.
Now before any of you go civil-rights ape- :cuss: on me, heres the check and balance...
The courts (and every flippin personal claims lawyer in the world) are on your side and ready to defend you and rip me a new one. I MUST be able to articulate the reason for the stop and search in a court of law. If I cant, you go free, and i get bad things done to me.
Its really not a process I enjoy, and I wish people would just slow down, not drive with drugs in their system, or just do really stupid things in front of me, but it happens all the time.
And the game goes on... :rolleyes:

acropilot19
07-25-2007, 06:37 PM
well i live in a town with 5,000 people, the cops here think there the LAPD or SWAT team..they dont have anything better to but follow kids around, one follwed me for 9 minutes and 23 seconds (timed him) before i relized i was on my crotch rocket and lost him.( they will not mess with you at all)i go 75 in a 40 here all the time, and passed 2 cops and they point to slow down, and move on.

ive also had a ticket for going 97 in a 75 with my car, the cops arent stupid, they can get past the fuzzbuster. there is no way to avoid it, if your gonna speed be prepared to deal with the tickets and insane insurance rates. im 17 and pay over 200 a month on just insurance, thats with 5 tickets.

We'll be seein' this kid's obituary in the paper soon. i have lost count of the number immature drivers with no skillz and a lead foot that i get to meet at their accident scene. Get a fast bike, think you know how to ride, crash. The only part that bothers me is when they hurt other people because of their stupidity. :(

MoeMag
07-25-2007, 06:52 PM
BTW radar jammers... you will have the FCC on your rear. They dont take that kind of stuff lightly.

FactsOfLife
07-25-2007, 07:18 PM
nuff said

valentine detectors (http://www.valentine1.com/)

Lohman446
07-25-2007, 08:11 PM
the cops arent stupid, they can get past the fuzzbuster. there is no way to avoid it, if your gonna speed be prepared to deal with the tickets and insane insurance rates..

I know a few people who routinely travel well in excess of the speed limits, have cars mechanicaly sound enough to do it (and routinely inspect them for said soundness), and the ability to do it safely. Guess what, they have that same attitude.

There are many cars out there, that with an experienced driver can safely exceed the speed limit (and I'm not just talking make / model comparisons). There are many out there that, due to mechanical issues, should not be driven on the road at any speed.

acropilot19
07-25-2007, 10:11 PM
I know a few people who routinely travel well in excess of the speed limits, have cars mechanicaly sound enough to do it (and routinely inspect them for said soundness), and the ability to do it safely. Guess what, they have that same attitude.

There are many cars out there, that with an experienced driver can safely exceed the speed limit (and I'm not just talking make / model comparisons). There are many out there that, due to mechanical issues, should not be driven on the road at any speed.

99% of drivers out there CANNOT handle vehicles at high speeds (50+ mph) in emergency situations, and the few that can are usually surrounded by the rest that cant. And everyone Please, PLEASE, PLEASE, dont pretend you're one of the 1% that can, cause you're not.

"...and the ability to do it safely." ??? By that I hope you mean on a racetrack, 'cause if you're talkin' on the public roads, thats the biggest laugh I've heard yet.

I dont mean to get personal, but unless you've seen what I see every day, you guys are talking out your A**.
-Acro

P.s. Bring it on, I dig lively debate, but I hope you guys take what i'm saying to heart. If theres one thing I really hate about my job, its going to accident scenes were people get hurt. I do it ALOT. And 99.999% of them are driver error.

FactsOfLife
07-25-2007, 10:23 PM
99% of drivers out there CANNOT handle vehicles at high speeds (50+ mph) in emergency situations, and the few that can are usually surrounded by the rest that cant. And everyone Please, PLEASE, PLEASE, dont pretend you're one of the 1% that can, cause you're not.

"...and the ability to do it safely." ??? By that I hope you mean on a racetrack, 'cause if you're talkin' on the public roads, thats the biggest laugh I've heard yet.

I dont mean to get personal, but unless you've seen what I see every day, you guys are talking out your A**.
-Acro

P.s. Bring it on, I dig lively debate, but I hope you guys take what i'm saying to heart. If theres one thing I really hate about my job, its going to accident scenes were people get hurt. I do it ALOT. And 99.999% of them are driver error.

well said.

I speed on highways when and if the conditions allow it. I usually max over at ten to fifteen if the weather and traffic are good. if there's any kind of negatives I drive with what traffic bears.

I drive a WRX that is slavishly maintained and have several racing schools under my belt and a couple of years of kart racing as well. I'm probably way above the norm as far as skills go. But if the conditions don't warrant it, I don't push it on the road.

save the racing for the racetrack where you aren't going to impact someone else's life.

Lohman446
07-26-2007, 05:54 AM

-Acro

My problem with that attitude is simple. Assuming mechanical soundness (which far too many cars on the road do not have) the standard "answers" assume all cars are created equal.

Although I respect your opinion, you're giving yourself "expertise" I doubt you have when you assume you have some incredible level of knowledge over the rest of us, even given your profession.

Let me ask you this. Assuming all other things being equal and some competence in driving... if my Taurus is safe at 70MPH (the speed limit here) is the max speed my Camaro (in exceptional mechanical condition, speed rated VERY good tires, etc) can be safely driven at 70MPH as well?

Or, let me phrase it this way. A trained and experienced officer leaves the police station after driving his unmarked Crown Victoria and gets in his personal Volvo S80. Assume comparable maintenance on both. Is the S80 capable of safely sustaining speeds the Crown Victoria (or whatever) is not?

Now, I'm not going to include myself in the minority who can safely drive in excess of the speed limit. However, I am going to agree its a minority, while questioning your 1% theory.

billybob_81067
07-26-2007, 06:25 PM

-Acro

Have you got credible resources for these percentages?

:)

MANN
07-26-2007, 06:38 PM
I believe that I am in the 1% of great drivers. After all I have been to many driving school classes. :p On a serious note I have been driving since I was 14 (leagaly. am 23 now), and have had 0 accidents. That is if you dont count the drunk driver that smashed into me at a red light (I was sitting still).

The speed limit imo is set for someone who is 90 years old, on the brink of loosing thier vision, and driving a volskwagon. My speed limit that I can "safely" handle my car/motorcycle is twice theirs.

Just FYI my great grandmother had her drivers license untill 91 IIRC (she also had a volskwagon). We took away her car/keys shortly after as we were afraid for her life and others.

The problem is not so much with speeding cars as it is with bad drivers. If you want safer roads get the bad drivers off the road instead of handing out speeding tickets.

I have nothing against you pilot, and respect/honor most police in general. I will always watch my back when they are arround as I have recieved the short end of the stick more than once.

Either way get a belltonics and it will save you $$. Another great way to keep from getting tickets is by always watching your rearview mirror. I can spot a crown vic just by its headlights. It seems alot of police around here like to pace you. Spotting them coming always helps.

acropilot19
07-26-2007, 07:10 PM
My problem with that attitude is simple. Assuming mechanical soundness (which far too many cars on the road do not have) the standard "answers" assume all cars are created equal.

Although I respect your opinion, you're giving yourself "expertise" I doubt you have when you assume you have some incredible level of knowledge over the rest of us, even given your profession.

Let me ask you this. Assuming all other things being equal and some competence in driving... if my Taurus is safe at 70MPH (the speed limit here) is the max speed my Camaro (in exceptional mechanical condition, speed rated VERY good tires, etc) can be safely driven at 70MPH as well?

Or, let me phrase it this way. A trained and experienced officer leaves the police station after driving his unmarked Crown Victoria and gets in his personal Volvo S80. Assume comparable maintenance on both. Is the S80 capable of safely sustaining speeds the Crown Victoria (or whatever) is not?

Now, I'm not going to include myself in the minority who can safely drive in excess of the speed limit. However, I am going to agree its a minority, while questioning your 1% theory.

:) okay...
The weak link is usually not the car, its the driver. Granted not all cars are created equal, BUT, the laws of Physics apply equally to all objects. Most cars are built with the same basic components. The Failure I run into in almost every situation is the lack of understanding of even BASIC vehicular dynamics by most drivers. Take Inertia- Objects at rest, and objects in motion, blah, blah, blah. You must understand that vehicle propulsion & directional control are dependent on the friction, or grip, between the tires and the roadway surface. Cars are specifically designed to maneuver with a certain "coefficient" of friction in mind, ie-good tires and a stable roadway surface (rubber & asphalt). Chang just one of these factors, and you are now a "Test Pilot".

Easy example: Rain. Wet roadway=reduction in friction. Acceleration, deceleration, and steering control are reduced dramatically. Knowing this,do people slow down when it rains? HECK NO! So now we have a problem with either Ignorance or Stupidity (i go with both). A competent driver must know and understand this dynamic, and modify their driving accordingly.

Example: Those mini-spare tires or "Doughnuts". put one of those on your car, and you are now OUT of the acceleration/deceleration/suspension geometry envelope. Test Pilot. Do people drive differently with these on their car? Nope. :tard:

Example: Dirt/Gravel roadway surface (freeway shoulders). Similar to water=reduction in friction. I cant count how many times I've made enforcement stops where the violator makes a bee-line for the dirt shoulder and hits it 60mph plus. Can you say "SPINOUT"? :eek:

...intermission...

MANN
07-26-2007, 07:17 PM
:) Easy example: Rain. Wet roadway=reduction in friction. Acceleration, deceleration, and steering control are reduced dramatically. Knowing this,do people slow down when it rains? HECK NO! So now we have a problem with either Ignorance or Stupidity (i go with both). A competent driver must know and understand this dynamic, and modify their driving accordingly.

So when it is not raining can I drive faster? the speed limit is for "those conditions"

acropilot19
07-26-2007, 07:35 PM
...My "Expertise" is based on the training I have recieved, and my on-going experience. I SEE this stuff IN ACTION, in the real world, every day. Its what you might refer to as "Street-Cred". You only get it by being there and doin' it. I also have the experience and guidence of the senior officers I work with, who have seen it & been doin' it for much much longer. our training is based on this experience, which has been passed down through the "generations", and paid for in blood.

i do NOT claim "Expert" status. The fact remains that I have lived this long because I realize how little I know, and strive to learn as much as I can, every day.

The experts are the ones who think they know how to do it, and who get to meet me at their accident scenes.

"The speed limit imo is set for someone who is 90 years old, on the brink of loosing thier vision, and driving a volskwagon. My speed limit that I can "safely" handle my car/motorcycle is twice theirs."

This is exactly what I mean :shooting: AAAAGH!

acropilot19
07-26-2007, 08:00 PM
So when it is not raining can I drive faster? the speed limit is for "those conditions"

My fingers are starting to hurt...

The speed limit is the Absolute limit in the most favorable conditions, ie a clean, dry, well maintained surface, with allowances for the traffic on, and the weather affecting the roadway/ visibility. You are more than welcome to go slower, and I highly suggest that everyone does.

I can, and have, cited drivers for driving 50mph on a freeway with a 65mph limit. not for driving too slow, but for going too fast! :confused:

-Heavy downpour, reduced visibility, and me in the middle of the freeway at an accident scene. Jerky blows by in the slow lane at 50-55mph. He got a ticket and an earfull. Get your hands on a California Vehicle Code and look up section 22350(a). This section applies to ALL speeds, from 1mph to Mach 2, because, and i ask this with a smile on my face because I wrote this one, what is the safe speed for driving a vehicle while peeing into a soda can?

A: ZERO mph.

MANN
07-26-2007, 09:38 PM
My fingers are starting to hurt....

LOL. You stated earlier that you love a good debate.

You are more than welcome to go slower, and I highly suggest that everyone does.

See this is where I absolutely dissagree (before I just disagreed). I am willing to go the speed limit if EVERYONE would. See I figure that my average mph on the way to work is ~ 55mph.

I start by gettting on the onramp on the interstate, and grandma is completely stopped on the ramp, and then all the sudden jumps into traffic (where she should have merged), and starts a huge traffic jam. We continue down the interstate at ~ 30mph while waiting on cars to pick up speed. We get a good 3-4mi down the road where a cop is shooting radar. Everyone insist on slamming on their brakes, again causing us to slow to 30mph. (This is another reason I believe cops are sometimes more dangerous than good). We now are accelerating from ~30 again. Another 3-4 miles down the road you get some jerk off that spills coffee into his/her lap, and swerves 2 lanes over. Again everyone slams on their brakes like a kid has ran into the interstate. This process continues through our interstate system all day long. Between the 3-4 mi spurts I go ~80. My average speed for going to work is now 55mph.

If your going to give someone a ticket sit at an onramp, and get people who dont know how to merge with traffic. Snag someone for merging lanes/ disrupting traffic. Get the people going 55 in the fast lane. Leave the people who are tring to get to work without the rest of the world screwing up the roads alone. We are just wanting to get to work on time.

As for driving in bad conditions it just depends. When it snows I still go 55 (assuming that is what the speed limit is of course :D ). If people want to drive slower/act like they have a corn cob stuck in them they are more than likely to stay in the slow lane/dont drive. Ice/rain is no reason to poke in the fast lane. If you car cannot handle the conditions then buy a bus pass.

-B-
07-26-2007, 10:53 PM
To answer the original poster you get what you pay for and cops are getting better and better. Passport 8500 works good for me, but it will cost you about 300$

As for the rest of it.

I agree with Mann on this one. The problem isn't the people driving a little fast, some of these guys going on about how their bikes can hit 100 and what not yes, but not the people that cruise comfortably, and most of the time smartly at 75-80 (10-15 over here in NYS). The problem lies with people who drive like idiots, don't use blinkers, don't check blind spots, don't keep right, and all those other little oddities that make them accident prone and inspire road rage in others.

While I do have more wheel time than most people my age (21) I am by no means an expert. I don't have any schools or racing time, just a long commute to work and a job that had me driving the whole time I was there, and a lot of on ice/snow practice with an old 4x4 and a frozen lake.

I have the spare on my truck right now, its supposed to be full sized but I have over sized tires on it so its actually a size to small, I'm not taking the hi-way down to get it replaced, I'll stick to roads where I can go 40-45 without people trying to run me into an embankment.

Yet I can go out on the Thruway, where I have to pay to drive, and have people who think its a great idea to get so close to my bumper I can barely see the roof of their car, ride 20 miles in the left hand lane with a mile of traffic backed up behind them because they don't see the purpose in keeping right if they are going 66, drive cars that have parts dragging on the road and the list goes on.

To bring up the old justification for speeders every where, look at the autobahn, people don't drive like idiots there, and they have no problem with no speed limits, or very high limits depending on the section of roadway. If they are going to be stupid about when and how they speed nail them, but give the rest of us some credit.

Lohman446
07-27-2007, 05:54 AM
My fingers are starting to hurt...

The speed limit is the Absolute limit in the most favorable conditions, ie a clean, dry, well maintained surface, with allowances for the traffic on, and the weather affecting the roadway/ visibility. You are more than welcome to go slower, and I highly suggest that everyone does.

I can, and have, cited drivers for driving 50mph on a freeway with a 65mph limit. not for driving too slow, but for going too fast! :confused:

-Heavy downpour, reduced visibility, and me in the middle of the freeway at an accident scene. Jerky blows by in the slow lane at 50-55mph. He got a ticket and an earfull. Get your hands on a California Vehicle Code and look up section 22350(a). This section applies to ALL speeds, from 1mph to Mach 2, because, and i ask this with a smile on my face because I wrote this one, what is the safe speed for driving a vehicle while peeing into a soda can?

With the exception of a moral obligation to slow down for an accident scene writing me a ticket for "driving too fast for conditions" (but under the speed limit) in an instance where I have not lost control is going to put us all in front of the judge, and it is going to be thrown out.

As to the "conditions" for what the speed limit is set. What was the big change then in the 70's that suddenly dropped it to 55? Or the recent change in many states that changed it from 65MPH to higher? As good as the line sounds it is simply not true, the "absolute limit" as you call it is well in excess of the posted limit which is at least partially arbitrary.

While I disagree with the some of the ideas that some people have on the other end of the spectrum, your absolute argument is equally as invalid.

paintballwannab
07-27-2007, 06:08 AM

Ok, years back when I took my driver license test there was a dusting of snow on the ground and I was going about 30 in a 35, I got points taken off for not following the speed limit, even in adverse road conditions. Figure that one out.

Lohman446
07-27-2007, 07:09 AM
To answer the original poster you get what you pay for and cops are getting better and better. Passport 8500 works good for me, but it will cost you about 300$

As for the rest of it.

I agree with Mann on this one. The problem isn't the people driving a little fast, some of these guys going on about how their bikes can hit 100 and what not yes, but not the people that cruise comfortably, and most of the time smartly at 75-80 (10-15 over here in NYS). The problem lies with people who drive like idiots, don't use blinkers, don't check blind spots, don't keep right, and all those other little oddities that make them accident prone and inspire road rage in others.

While I do have more wheel time than most people my age (21) I am by no means an expert. I don't have any schools or racing time, just a long commute to work and a job that had me driving the whole time I was there, and a lot of on ice/snow practice with an old 4x4 and a frozen lake.

I have the spare on my truck right now, its supposed to be full sized but I have over sized tires on it so its actually a size to small, I'm not taking the hi-way down to get it replaced, I'll stick to roads where I can go 40-45 without people trying to run me into an embankment.

Yet I can go out on the Thruway, where I have to pay to drive, and have people who think its a great idea to get so close to my bumper I can barely see the roof of their car, ride 20 miles in the left hand lane with a mile of traffic backed up behind them because they don't see the purpose in keeping right if they are going 66, drive cars that have parts dragging on the road and the list goes on.

To bring up the old justification for speeders every where, look at the autobahn, people don't drive like idiots there, and they have no problem with no speed limits, or very high limits depending on the section of roadway. If they are going to be stupid about when and how they speed nail them, but give the rest of us some credit.

Be careful what you assign as idiocy in others. Many people would tell you, on a 4WD truck, running one odd sized tire is idiocy.

Personally though, I encourage it, it makes me a lot of money :) .

-B-
07-27-2007, 11:17 AM
Only place I'm taking it is to where it needs to go to get replaced. And I know enough to not turn the 4x4 drive on and blow the transfer case.

Lohman446
07-27-2007, 11:22 AM
Only place I'm taking it is to where it needs to go to get replaced. And I know enough to not turn the 4x4 drive on and blow the transfer case.

:P

robnix
07-27-2007, 12:29 PM
While not advocting speeding, here's an interesting summary of a FHWA study on the effects of speed limits.

http://www.dot.state.oh.us/dist3/planning/TRAFFIC/speed_kills.asp

More fun on speed:

http://www.nationalreview.com/moore/moore062503.asp

JULIE CIRILLO, the program manager at the FHWA Office of Motor Carriers and Highway Safety, said:

" . . . the more you have differential speed the more you have accidents.

. . . we have fallen into a situation where for a variety of reasons we are setting speed limits that are not realistic. They are setting speed limits that are too low. We're legislating them, and once you legislate speed limits, invariably the speed limit is at about the 50th percentile. So, here you have a traffic regulation that's enforceable by law and half of the people are exceeding it when you put it in place. That makes no sense to us. So, what we're trying to do is get the states to agree that they will st speed limits in accordance with the 85th percentile, which is where most people travel. Most people are sane. Most people wil not put themselves in udue hazard. . . .

. . . We have deteriorated the value of speed limits and now find the disregard for speed limits is spilling over into other traffic-control devices -- disregard of red lights, disregard of stop signs. If we have any hope of moving the population back to where it ought to be, we have to set reasonable speed limits."

June/July, 1999 issue of LANDLINE, the magazine of O.O.I.D.A.

She was advocating against states that have split speed limits for semi sized rigs and cars.

The nonmotorist fatality rate per 100,000 population has declined by 53.1 percent from 1975 to 2004.

http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/

Hmmm....

Speed differential is the real issue.

If it were up to me, which it isn't... :( It would be more difficult to get a driver license. I've had to take the driving portion of the test three times:

First time: 1984, Washington State - All I remember was that it was snowing, and I had to take the test. It wasn't much more than driving around the block and parallel parking in a 25mph zone.

Second time: 1985, Alabama - Test got postponed twice because, are you ready...it was RAINING :tard: When I finally took the test, we drove around the block that the testing center was in. I knew a girl in that state that failed 6 time before she finally made it through the driving test.

Third time: 2000, Washington State - Drove around TWO blocks! Had to parallel park, never left a 25 mph zone...

It's too easy to get a drivers license in the US, WAY too easy. Make people test out doing things that they'll do on a daily basis. Put them on the Interstate and grade their merging skills, make them drive in downtown big city to see if they can handle that, just make it harder and driving will be easier for all of us.

MANN
07-27-2007, 04:27 PM
you had to parellel park? wow. I just had to drive ~ 5mi. All right hand turns. I swear I could have taken the test blindfolded and passed.

I agree with the harder license requirements

oneworld
07-27-2007, 05:59 PM
They give kids there drivers license when they are 14 here, scary thought.

robnix
07-27-2007, 10:32 PM
you had to parellel park? wow. I just had to drive ~ 5mi. All right hand turns. I swear I could have taken the test blindfolded and passed.

I agree with the harder license requirements

I'd even like to see inclement weather courses, where drivers are judged on their ability to drive on both wet asphalt and concrete. But that will never happen.

bentothejam1n
07-28-2007, 11:59 AM
whats a good way to learn how to handle your car in rain, at high speeds, and before a crash (avoiding one that you see coming)? I know driving time will help but you say that 99% of people are competent at driving at high speeds.

-B-
07-28-2007, 07:19 PM
If you can find a big frozen lake like I did that helps a lot. You learn how to handle the back end coming loose, tire spin, no brakes etc. Plus you never get the grip on the tires to roll the vehicle which is a plus.

Plus its fun.

oneworld
07-28-2007, 09:04 PM
haha we did that once also, my friend slid into me haha.. (we bought crappy cars just to mess up) what a great time.