PDA

View Full Version : Vert ASA Install

MechWarrior
07-19-2007, 04:16 PM
Hey guys this is my first post of many I'm sure to come.

I just received all my parts to put together my MechWarrior and was wondering if I need to put anything between my Benchmark Vert ASA and the rail? I have a Dallara rail and when I matched the ASA up to the hole it is supposed to go through it doesn't seem to me like it would stay put very well? It is a flat metal to flat metal held together by one screw setup...doesn't seem like a good combination to me. I would also be scuffing up my rail if there is nothing sitting between them when I tighten this baby down either.

Any suggestions on how to handle this part of my build would be much appreciated.
:cheers:

Madmarx
07-19-2007, 04:28 PM
Sounds like your asa is a flat top RT style.
Unless you're using the spacer in it.
Got a pic?
Your rail started out as a classic rail.
I have a DW CF foregrip on my dallara rail and you can twist it if you try hard because it doesn't have the wings.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l74/MadMarx1/blueNblack010.jpg

FiXeL
07-19-2007, 04:45 PM
That is one hawt sekzy mag! :headbang:

TS: post some pictures of your problem... My guess is you have a classic vertical ASA adapter and a rail that doesnt support wings and your adapter has none... But this is my guess, some pics can tell more than a 1000 words. :)

MechWarrior
07-19-2007, 05:23 PM
Alright I will get some pics loaded up tonight when I get home so you guys can let me know what you think

MechWarrior
07-20-2007, 05:45 PM
I finally have a picture of my asa:
http://img2.putfile.com/thumb/7/2001837539.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6051974)

I tried taking a picture of what it looks like on the rail but had no success. Maybe this is just how they are supposed to work but when it is tightened down there is still some very minimal side to side play and I can see a small gap between the rail and asa. Is this common?

mr doo doo
07-20-2007, 06:49 PM
how strange. that ASA is meant for the dallara rail...

Madmarx
07-20-2007, 06:53 PM
That asa is meant to be used on a classic rail (which is what a dallara is made from)
Did someone mill the inside of the rail making the screw too long which would prevent you from tightening it enough?
That's the only other thing I can think of.
Need more pics otherwise.

cdc120602
07-20-2007, 08:53 PM
Well...if all else fails and if I understand what you're saying, you should be able to use a thin piece of rubber (i.e. bike inner tube) between the rail and the ASA to keep it from spinning, moving or scratching the anno. I'm sure there's a better way of doing it, but I don't know too much about those new fangled parts...yet. :)

MechWarrior
07-24-2007, 05:39 PM
cdc120602 that was good advice. Instead of a bike tire tube, I used some surgical tubing. I was able to cut it small enough that it doesn't stick out and put a hole right through the middle of it so the screw would go through. Works like a dream...no anno scratches or side to side slop in it.

Thanks guys! :cheers:

cdc120602
07-24-2007, 05:56 PM
That's what we're here for!

shorty24
07-24-2007, 06:46 PM
On another note, I had the same problem, and found it was b/c my screw was too long. See, the Dallara rails are ULE milled on the inside, and since most screws used to attach the vert ASA's are long enough to hold it tight on a standard am/mm rail that doesn't have that extra metal milled out of the inside, when you try to attach an ASA to a ULE milled rail without making sure you have a shorter screw, it won't be able to tighten down all the way, causing that movement.

Short fix: cut down your screw a bit or get a new shorter one. Although what you did with the surgical tubing sounds like it worked just fine anyway.