PDA

View Full Version : Best Automag / Minimag Barrel

Macross125
07-22-2007, 07:57 PM
I'm getting back into paintball after 10 years and was wondering what is the best barrel out there for the classic Automag/ Minimag. Are there any that perform good with range and accuracy but also make a cool sound too? Thanks

PBChappy
07-22-2007, 08:03 PM
cant go wrong with the sound of a classic crown point

mr doo doo
07-22-2007, 08:26 PM
always wanted one of those because its just simple and stuff. is it really that good?

what keeps me from getting it is my 14 in aluminum Dye barrel. sleek, accurate, and just looks good on my gun.

ThePixelGuru
07-22-2007, 09:07 PM
Range will be the same on any barrel. 300fps is 300fps, doesn't matter what fancy tube it came out of. The only exceptions to this are the Flatline and Apex barrels or specific marker bodies that put a backspin on the ball to make it "float."

I like my J&J Ceramic, though. Efficient, not too loud, and accurate.

What's a "cool noise" for a barrel to make, though? Something like the Duke boys' horn every time you fire? :rofl:

elfofpaintball
07-22-2007, 09:53 PM
:shooting: :rofl:

are ceramic barrels really any better than aluminum?

sixtoes1313
07-22-2007, 11:15 PM
I prefer to shoot Dye or J&J barrels. Very accurate and consistent.

zipity_Bop
07-23-2007, 02:51 AM
:shooting: :rofl:

he didn't say it was more accurate than a barrel from metal, just accurate.....

chairman_mao
07-23-2007, 07:33 AM
I am huge fan of the old DYE stainless steel barrels. One piece, heavy and pretty quiet. They are generally fairly hard to find but they do pop up once in a while on the B/S/T forums. I've used othey DYE products, J&J and CP and I have never been as happy as I am with the SS.

pierce
07-23-2007, 02:14 PM
I like using my trusty old garden hose. When i shoot it real fast, it whips and looks like a elephant snout throwing mini oranges. Not that accurate though :( Any good quality barrel will do the job (don't get caught up in all the hype)

C.J.
07-23-2007, 04:23 PM
I've tried dozens of barrels though only about half a dozen on 'mags.

1st, make sure your bore matches the size of the paint you use. A large bore barrel (0.691 ish) is going to shoot small, 0.684 paint poorly and vice versa.

I had a J&J Ceramic barrel for my 'mag that performed extremely well. No barrel is entirely self-cleaning but the ceramic ones tend to shoot better through breaks than other types.

I switched to a 'mag body that uses 'cocker threaded barrels and I've had excellent results with a PPS Brass barrel in 0.685 cal (small bore).

FiXeL
07-23-2007, 04:27 PM
Barrel choice depends on the paint you shoot. I shoot draxxus paint mostly, and i love those old all american barrels from SP with that paint. Paint to barrel match is what you want, together with good paint. What barrel you take is not that important, aslong as it matches the paint that you are shooting. Look for something in the 12-14" length range.

Sumthinwicked
07-23-2007, 04:29 PM
played for at least 12 years and i LOVE my freaks i would use a 32 degrees cf if you can find em quiet AND NEVER BROKE when i was using twistlocks

ThePixelGuru
07-24-2007, 03:19 AM
Not really, as C.J. says they do tend to shoot through breaks a little better (your accuracy will still go to poop, though). I use it because I want a quieter barrel and for the increased efficiency. It's not really any more accurate than my stock Minimag barrel.

Macross125 - Unported barrels make a loud "pop" when the ball exits. Ported barrels disperse the noise and make it somewhat quieter. More porting = less noise.

Macross125
07-24-2007, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I remember the original old school long smarts parts barrels were pretty accurate and made a sound like a silenced gun . I might try getting a J&J ceramic. Does anyone know a good place to buy Paintball supplies?

ThePixelGuru
07-24-2007, 09:42 PM
Best place to buy twist-locks? Probably right here.

Cleric
07-24-2007, 11:52 PM
the best barrel is the one that best matches what paintballs you shoot, if you shoot different oens you will need a freak or some kind of kit to change sizes

Macross125
07-26-2007, 06:13 AM
Anyone have a black/Silver based 14" classic smartsparts barrel for sale? Thanks

angrysasquatch
07-26-2007, 01:18 PM
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2218018

Here is an extensive barrel test with just about anything you'd like to know about barrels. Shows shot groupings, weights even volume of the barrels. And all done in a scientific manner. I suggest you at least give it a look.