PDA

View Full Version : Symptoms of a Concussion?

StygShore
07-23-2007, 09:04 AM
OK, played a little this weekend, and took FAR too many shots to the top of my head throughout the day - at one point gunning 5 on 1 and taking near 20-30 shots off my skull.

In one game I took 2 solid shots ot my head from about 6 feet away and the guy chronied at 320 when he walked off the field.

Anyone ever have a concussion? What are the symptoms? I have had a pounding headache and been nauseous for the remainder of the weekend, and running into this morning...

Styg

Rudz
07-23-2007, 09:09 AM
20 -30? damn when i play it usually only takes one and im out!!!!

rmg
07-23-2007, 09:27 AM
if you see little rainbows around any bright object or light......is one sign. Nausea is another.

rkjunior303
07-23-2007, 09:29 AM
umm. how about go to the doctor instead of asking for medical advice on an INTERNET FORUM.

StygShore
07-23-2007, 09:33 AM
I got enough doctor bills right now thanks :)

I was just curious if anyone had had a concussion and if this is what it feels like. I have never had one before - so I wasnt sure.

Besides, it's just a little pain - lets ya know you're alive still.

Styg

Oh and WebMD.com has tons of medical information, and its a Internet Forum.

hopwheels
07-23-2007, 09:39 AM
I can't even imagine that. I played yesterday and got one in the head, it bounced, but left a nice egg sized lump. 20-30.... yeeeikes.

cdc120602
07-23-2007, 10:45 AM
I've never had a concussion, thank God. I have seen quite a few happen though. Ah, the good old days of high school wrestling... It's usually pointless to go to a doctor for a concussion. They'll tell you that you have a concussion, that you shouldn't sleep for more than an hour at a time and should have someone keep an eye on you while you're sleeping then charge you for your visit and send you home. Ibuprophen and rest should set you straight. Good luck and enjoy the pain!

Empyreal Rogue
07-23-2007, 10:47 AM
Amnesia is the biggest symptom of a concussion. A guy I know from high school took a mild concussion during a football game. He forgot his name, forgot where he was, but he still knew what he was doing and how to do it. Even he didn't know he had a concussion till after the game when he started acting weird, then people started to notice.

What you have is probably a contusion, which is associated with major head pain and nausea. It's from much less severe head trauma.

rkjunior303
07-23-2007, 10:49 AM
I generally like to see a doctor when I've had a traumatic BRAIN injury, but that's just me..

trevorjk
07-23-2007, 10:52 AM
I generally like to see a doctor when I've had a traumatic BRAIN injury, but that's just me..

sissy :p

Empyreal Rogue
07-23-2007, 10:56 AM
You can treat most injuries in your household if you know what you're doing.

[edit] And in fact, your body can and will heal most mild or less internal injury on its own. Unless it's serious (Hemorrhaging, for example) then all a Doctor will do is diagnose you with what you know you already have and maybe prescribe some medication to speed up the process, which is really unnecessary imo. That's the beauty of the body.

d4m4don3
07-23-2007, 11:18 AM
Stygie where you wearing any head protection? Bounce cap, thick beanie, bandana?

Pacifist_Farmer
07-23-2007, 11:26 AM
Is it just me or does any one else remember having this conversation a few years ago?

maybe that was some where else.

SCpoloRicker
07-23-2007, 11:33 AM
Is it just me or does any one else remember having this conversation a few years ago?

maybe that was some where else.

For the win.

Dark Side
07-23-2007, 11:36 AM
umm. how about go to the doctor instead of asking for medical advice on an INTERNET FORUM.

Why? We are all experts here.

blitzkriegboom!
07-23-2007, 11:42 AM
i puked when i had mine

StygShore
07-23-2007, 12:32 PM
Stygie where you wearing any head protection? Bounce cap, thick beanie, bandana?

Skullsock - just a thin t-shirt like material I wear to soak up sweat - not nearly enough to absorb the impact, but enough to keep my skull from getting cut up.

I think I figured out the problem. In the past I have been shot in the head a lot (nerf toss for anyone wanting to throw an insult at me ) The difference being it was always field paint, and we have always used paint that breaks pretty easy, even when we had crap paint, it still broke normal.

We went to BYOP this year, and I believe the brand I was shot the most with was some orange stuff called Hot Shot. It was ricocheting off of 55 gallon drums and building all day. Which would explain why it was bounching off my skull all day too. We see a lot more Wallyworld paint coming to the field now and WOW is that stuff hard... like California Magnum hard for you old timers...

Styg

wjr
07-23-2007, 01:08 PM
You can treat most injuries in your household if you know what you're doing.

I agree. I had this enourmous gash on my arm this one time from when my buddy thought it would be funny to scare me with a bush hog. There was literally a chunk missing out of my arm. I just poured some wood glue in there and it was fine.

StygShore
07-23-2007, 01:12 PM
stitches aren't to hard to apply yourself either :)

If it already hurts bad enough you think you need stitches, sticking a needle through your skin doesn't really hurt that much more.

Styg

TnDeathInc
07-23-2007, 04:00 PM
I have had a few in my taekwon do career of 20 years, i usually just get sick at my stomach and have migraine behind my eyes.

from webmd

Loss of consciousness after any trauma to the head

Confusion

Headache

Nausea or vomiting

Blurred vision

Loss of short–term memory (you may not remember the actual injury and some time before and after the impact)

Perseverating (repeating the same thing over and over, despite being told the answer each time, for example, "Was I in an accident?")

mag_lover05
07-23-2007, 04:43 PM
feeling nausseous (sp) is definately part of it....ummm, not knowing where you are or who you are or what happened is to. LOL :rofl:

javasnot17
07-23-2007, 05:36 PM
Shoot MedicDVG a PM. I'm sure he's got the remedy for you. Booyakasha!

DaFin
07-23-2007, 05:54 PM
... like California Magnum hard for you old timers...

Styg

Bounced off trees in the summer but I liked the packaging, little camo boxes. There where even fields out here (CA) that would not allow it.

Joelus Morolus
07-23-2007, 08:17 PM
ok well I have had three concussions ranging from being levelled in hockey (I'm a goalie and ventured too far out of my net and got creamed at the blue line) and the other 2 were from football and then falling on black ice.

yes you have suffered a concussion. there are varying degrees of concussions and it seems you suffered a minor one. if you were nauseous and disoriented those are 2 signs of concussion. (unless you suspect heat stroke) you will most likely have pain in your base of your skull or temple areas as well. if you did not black out or temporarily lose sight then it is a minor concussion, those symptoms are clearly reserved for major head trauma and advisory to go to the hospital. same as memory loss and ear bleeds.

no matter what is travelling at 320fps will give you some sort of head injury, it could be a pillow, it would still hurt.

now, concussions occur more easily the second and third times around because it is actually a bruise on your brain which has scarred over and made that part bevelled out a bit. so any head trauma that would normally give you a headache in that same area, will now possibly give you subsequent concussions. so just be more careful and treat every headache seriously.

although a paintball is significantly different than a 200pound hockey player levelling me at center ice with my head down and his elbow up, concussions are concussions.

good luck and maybe wear a hat or something next time?

mr doo doo
07-23-2007, 08:37 PM
wow, 20-30? styg, you are a beast man, i admire you :cheers:

when i start to get headaches and play sloppy (hard to tell since that is how i already play), then that is when i know to take an advil. always have one ready in my gear bag!

oh, when you start to go blind, and you soon realize its just paint covering your lens... yea...

StygShore
07-23-2007, 09:43 PM
yeah dffinately something going on, disoriented all day and blew chunks twice, and a major headache.... did I mention how much it hurts to heave with a headache... geez I thought my skull was going to split open!

Going to sleep early ( er ) tonight with a few tylenol and we will see if it goes away in the morning.

Styg

mag_lover05
07-23-2007, 11:19 PM
yeah dffinately something going on, disoriented all day and blew chunks twice, and a major headache.... did I mention how much it hurts to heave with a headache... geez I thought my skull was going to split open!

Going to sleep early ( er ) tonight with a few tylenol and we will see if it goes away in the morning.

Styg

yes you have a concusion...and its not good to sleep when you have one before going to an ER, if its bad enough you could go into a coma.

Glickman
07-23-2007, 11:23 PM
ive always believed it was better to be safer than sorry.

a good example...

my chest twinge that i shrugged off for 5 days turned out to be a collapsed lungv :rolleyes:

better to know there are no complications...

hitech
07-24-2007, 12:33 AM
WOW is that stuff hard... like California Magnum hard for you old timers...

Ah, purple cal mag... That stuff wouldn't break on anything. Ah, the fond memories...

onedude36
07-24-2007, 04:30 AM
Wow... 20-30.. i have a real sensitive dome. i wear beanie and a headband, and i still get ticked off taking 3-4. Ive had some pretty wild bumps, some lasting months... :tard:

questionful
07-24-2007, 04:50 AM
tylenol damages your liver.

ThePixelGuru
07-24-2007, 05:02 AM
Congratulations! You have a concussion. You should be at the doctor's office.

Friends/family around? Are you acting normal to people who know you well? Vomiting isn't a good sign, by the way. And this isn't a good place to get medical advice. Maybe the fact that you asked about your concussion on AO should be a red flag. ;)

rabidchihauhau
07-24-2007, 06:47 AM
I've only had what, about ten?

(chunk of ice that was NOT a snowball, foul-tip softball while umping - no mask, couple of kicks/backhands/knees while sparring in martial arts class, two, or three, or four - don't remember - frozen paintballs to the temple from about 4 feet, hockey, soccer, oh and a tree branch that split my scalp open and knocked me unconscious while reffing the PaintCheck 5 man...)

Yeah, I lead with my head.

Knowing what I know about concussions, when I was not temporarily hospitalized for the above, I ASKED someone to keep an eye on me. I've been fortunate; my symptoms have only been temporary loss of consciousness, mild confusion following, a headache. I reboot well, lol.

I've had to deal with several while reffing or playing - always the same advice: keep an eye, hydrate, rest, suggest going to the ER (never followed), watch closely, ask questions to check mental state, watch the eyes. If they're unbalanced dilation, not tracking or wandering around independently - TAKE the person to the ER.

StygShore
07-24-2007, 07:26 AM
Feeling better today, slight headache still but not feeling sick anymore.

Whelts are subsiding as well this morning - still a little tender to the touch, but I dont have horns anymore.

I am deffinately looking into some better head protection after this event - something with a little padding. I was looking at the 100th Monkey Caps and some other stuff online last night.

Styg

StygShore
07-24-2007, 07:31 AM
Ah, purple cal mag... That stuff wouldn't break on anything. Ah, the fond memories...

I loved their original advertising - "Tripple wrapped for use in semi-automatic paintguns!!!"

I remember gettign shot from about 10 feet away at the Michigan monster game by some guy with about 12 rounds of cal mag - none of them broke!! left nasty bruises and whelts for weeks. I thougth the guy shot me with those hard rubber riot rounds!!!!

I popped him twice with my pump gun, and then walked off the field myself due to pain, it felt like I broke a rib!

Styg