PDA

View Full Version : I.O.N. How Germany Lost

Tassel Mask
07-23-2007, 03:20 PM
This is as condensed as I can make it.

1. Commanders not easy to get ahold of, by radio or in person.

2. German Paint ran out fast...Allies killed quickly, then reinserted with little paint being fired by them.

3. Most German players stayed at beach even when no points were to be scored there.

4. Unclear which and where teams need to go to score big points: map didnt help I guess.

5. Not much points awarded for holding the beach.

6. Players not aware when or how far they could attack the enemy: refs did good clearing that up; even if it didnt make sense to the players.

7. Fench players inserted in towns when refs told Germans the field was not yet playable.

8. Sunday, Germans were not at strength in numbers or moral as Allies were.

9. Saturday, Germans overran on left flank.

10. Beach battle overshadowed the true scenario of the whole game; players never left the beach front.

This was my expierence, so if you disagree with me, please let me hear your side f the story. I am in no way discaraging the outstanding ball the Allies, and French threw at us. There was some amazing plays out on the field. Most naotably during the tank battles, and Germans being routed on their left flank. Hats off and SALUT to you good men.

Army
07-23-2007, 04:00 PM
Someday, I have GOT to get to a D-Day :mad:

AirAssault
07-23-2007, 04:10 PM
Someday, I have GOT to get to a D-Day :mad:

Ditto

Pneumagger
07-23-2007, 04:36 PM
On that other other forum, I hear it was one of the worst one's ever - and not just from whining kids:
Reports of cheating (like the kind from a bad dream)
People shooting in staging areas when people have no masks
Personal assault on some towel girl (I doubt the story is 100% true)
all around not enjoyable to those there for fun

I hear the reason german players were in short numbers sunday was because they were sick of the cheatfest-experiece from saturday. After hearing all that from some of the older members over there, I'm not I'd be willing to spend a couple hundred on such a scenario. Perhaps something smaller for me.

BigEvil
07-23-2007, 04:47 PM
I hear many of these big events have gone down the toilet. After wasting nearly $1k on NJ Nam 07 this year, I think I will just keep my money and be miserable, instead of giving it to some halfassed attempt at a paintball event.

pepple84
07-23-2007, 04:59 PM
i attended both NJ Nam 07 and ION 07 and must say i'd go to Nam again before I go back to skirmish.

at Nam it was our first year there, while it had it's flaws, i must say i was impressed with the effort made by Chuck, aka Pyro. my team and i have already decided to attend another of their events.

this was the 4th year my team went to ION and i must say, the worst. as stated previously and on that other forum, cheating was absurd. the staff did not do near as good of a job as they had previously. also mentioned, the command staff back when Rob Wood was german general was awesome. i remember joining in a few missions with many teams and many walk ons. everyone had fun. the next year was almost as good. then tyrell got involved and i don't think teams were ready for that. while i'm thankful a team puts forth that much effort to enhance role play, i think the players at big games like that need to be more informed. i won't even comment on prices because they're a joke.

after much discussion my team and myself have decided to "put skirmish on probation." if they show signs of effort to correct all the issues addressed, we might go back. if not, EMR is only another hour north.

Hexis
07-23-2007, 05:01 PM
I know Paintball Sam's big games are still good fun. It's just a big game, no scenario. I would hope that there are others that are still fun.

pepple84
07-23-2007, 05:17 PM
all the Blackcat games i've attended were excellent. i don't even remember seeing one person cheat at those games.

punkncat
07-23-2007, 06:17 PM
all the Blackcat games i've attended were excellent. i don't even remember seeing one person cheat at those games.

I had a good time at Pirate's Keep a few years back. It had its problems, but overall was one of the better put on events I have attended.

senghing27
07-23-2007, 11:29 PM
Yeah, I went to last years I.O.N and it was Meh. Thus I didnt go this year...

Blackcat i heard was really good...

Tassel Mask
07-24-2007, 10:53 AM
If you read the what went wrong forum, you would see how much of a mess I experienced; cheating was hard for me to ref. I just assume I hit everything I shoot at..."heehhhe."

This forum was strictly about tactics and maneuvers. I saw some crazy counter attacks by allies on the far left of the field. Those kids dove through sticks and bushes to blow us out. So good play. Team SGA played a huge part to thwart this effort by directing players where to go. SGA Chris did a huge part in getting dozens of players to leave the beach and move the the far left wing. Its wasn't enough to stop them, but we stagnated them for a few good hours.

Also when all the tanks were on the field, it was some amazing driving skills by the tank operators. Hats off the Panther operator. His tank was huge! We shouldn't forget that a large number of players did some great things in front of my eyes on and off the field.

Just on a tactical playing field, we lost the left and were pushed to our insertion zone for Sunday which sucked for the rest of the game.