PDA

View Full Version : Boots.

Toll
07-23-2007, 09:18 PM
My current problem is that my boots are falling a part. Day in day out use and low quality to begin with have left them rather beat up. Comfortable but at this point they are not water proof, the heel is falling through and I believe in retrospect they were never meant for heavy day to day use. Bummer.

As such I'm gunning for a new pair. I'm hunting for a pair of 8 inch, black, steel toed 'combat' boots with focus on durability and haven't been able to find them in stores locally. All the surplus ones I've found have had the steeltoes removed, making them kind of pointless.

I'm in Canada, which makes everything that much harder.

http://www.armynavyshop.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?store_code=army-navy-shop&screen=PROD&product_code=rc5075

Are basically what I had and was happy with them, liked the look, save for the fact that after a year they began falling to bits.

Any suggestions are useful but if you happen to know a place in Canada to get them it'll be all the better.

sTaLa
07-23-2007, 09:54 PM
I'm in Canada too, Quebec actually. What I use are Salomon hiking boots in Gore-Tex. They're waterproof without needing to be treated and they took 3 years of beating in our winters, springs, summers and falls; on Nepal's mountains, Thailand's moon season and they had a quite hard life for a pair of boots. Now they're only beginning to rip appart (after my travel in Bolivia).

I really like the fact that they're much lighter than the average steeltoed boot. That is not a really needed featured for paintball IMHO and that makes them less heavier as I said.

So what I recommend: a good pair of comfortable hiking boots that will also be usefull in everyday life.

[NA]WARLORD
07-23-2007, 09:55 PM
http://www.altama.com/Tp1/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=7877

CaliMagFan
07-24-2007, 02:43 AM
running shoes? why not?. trail runners maybe.

gus13
07-24-2007, 03:11 AM
you had a pair of Cochran 2's from the look of it, but if they fell apart after a year then they couldn't have been up to spec, cuz they are generally some tough boots man! I would suggest getting some jungle boots (they're on that site), but they aren't waterproof. but here is a site you could try, price is about what we would be paying at any other Surplus store,I don't know if the quality is there since they're calling them "G.I. Style boots" which is dubious at best IMO,but here it is anyway:
http://www.armynavydeals.ca/catalog/footwear-boots-c-38_77.html?page=1&sort=4a

but srsly check out the jungles they drain the water out of your boot and dry up quick while allowing your feet to breathe. when I was in the Army I lived in 'em, and when I play woodsball those are my first and last choice of footwear. If not your basic issue black comabt boots would be pretty much the same, and should last you a while, longer than 1 yr for sure :rolleyes:

Swampy
07-24-2007, 02:52 PM
If you got the $ go with a Danner www.danner.com to me they are just as comfy as my sneakers but are a boot.

My opinion is a Bellville www.bellevilleshoe.com is just as good in my eyes.

Richter
07-24-2007, 03:14 PM
ecco brand of shoes they are expensive but great quality.

The up most high end are "Used by the Danish Elite Soldiers" but i think those are winter boots. They are use for outdoor wear down to -25 degrees....

http://www.eccousa.com/shoes/mens/

I have "Track IV High" i use for paintball and i have couple of pairs of casual shoes.
I am very very happy with them.

Toll
07-24-2007, 04:02 PM
More a less these aren't particularly paintball oriented. I tend to have only 3 pairs of footwear, sandals, cleats and my work boots. Waterproof is a must as they are an all year sort of deal.

The boots I have currently have been worn pretty much 6 days a week for the last year, as such that may be asking too much?

While I'm at it....Where would one send them to be repaired? The heel is caving in, there is part on the inside arch of my foot where the boot is coming up from the sole and there are several spots where the sole has just worn down.....I dont even know if they could be "saved"

jailhousepb177
07-24-2007, 09:42 PM
Here we go. I would start off looking at some carolina's heres the link to make it a little easier for you, http://www.carolinashoe.com/ They make excellent quality boots for the money. I currently use their model 1821 boots, the unlinded, uninsulated, steel toe loggers. They are great boots and are serving me well. The one downfall? They arent waterproof. The solution: http://www.obenaufs.com/lp.php?osCsid=76619ce3636fc1f5257752987374b0f9 Anyone who wears or owns smooth leather boots should have a container of this. Since using this product I have never had a wet foot. It waterproofs your boots and makes sure they last forever. This combo is great and I reccomend it to everyone looking for new boots. I love my boots and I am by no means easy on them, I wear them 6 or 7 days a week, anywhere from 10-16 hours a day depending. One word of advice, if you purchase a pair of logger style boots or linesman style boots, be prepared. The first week or two will be hell until they break in, but once they do you'll be glad you stuck it out. The arch support is excellent if your on your feet all day, and last but not least make sure you get ones that fit properly. Good luck, hope this helps.

gus13
07-25-2007, 01:13 AM
6-7 days a week is not asking too much at all. Like I said my jungles were worn all day everyday for 12+ hours somedays, but, I did use kiwi (boot polish) on them everyday too, and that helps revitalize the leather/waterproof them a little, so I'm sure that had something to do with it.

drg
07-25-2007, 02:01 AM
ecco brand of shoes they are expensive but great quality.

The up most high end are "Used by the Danish Elite Soldiers" but i think those are winter boots. They are use for outdoor wear down to -25 degrees....

http://www.eccousa.com/shoes/mens/

I have "Track IV High" i use for paintball and i have couple of pairs of casual shoes.
I am very very happy with them.

Ecco shoes feel great but the knock on them has always been durability. The soles are very soft, leading to great grip and comfort, but they wear out quick and sometimes outright fail! In my case, I have a pair of ecco high-top hiking boots that cost me $150 (the exact model eludes me at the moment) and they are spectacularly comfortable and light. But the damn soles separated after just a few woodsball games!

Just a warning, I actually love ecco shoes. But this experience has soured me a little on them and I would probably not buy another rugged-terrain product from them.

PumpMag
07-25-2007, 04:06 AM
Magnum Boots are the best.

My first pair of combat boots were Magnums, which I used for paintball exclusively eventually wore out after 7+ years.

I got some no-name brand to replace it, and now less than 6 months later are coming apart.

It's back to Magnums for me.

cdc120602
07-25-2007, 04:03 PM
I was issued Bellvilles when I joined the Army. They made it though Fort Benning basic training. If you want a testimonial, that's the one to have. They made it through heat, water, mud, sand, and pavement and I was still able to wear them for a year after that. Even then, the only reason I had to replace them is because they met with some concertina wire. I've also had Corcorans. I liked them, but they were just my dress-up boots. They're WAY too easy to polish and I could see my face in the toe caps. The cops back home used to wear Hi-Tecs, but I can't find anything that really resembles a boot on their website. Don't forget that good boots are going to set you back a nice chunk of change. In my line of work, though, it pays to have quality footwear. Good luck in your search!

robnix
07-25-2007, 04:51 PM
I bought a pair of Columbia Bugabootoos for my trips up to Dutch Harbor. They're very comfortable, warm, and seem so far to be durable. They took ZERO breaking in time. I've been able to wear them both out in the field, and during 11 hour flying days without my feet getting too tired and abused.

Here's (http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Footwear/Winter%20Boots/Columbia%20Bugabootoo/) a few reviews.

punkncat
07-25-2007, 05:26 PM
Some Mil Spec Doc Maertens are what you need. They are SUPER comfy and quite durable.
I have enjoyed my pair of Magnum's as well. Much like a tennis shoe with support. They are pretty ragged after just over a year though. Heck for the price, you can buy two pair...lol I payed $65 for mine.

BeaverEater
07-27-2007, 10:58 PM
oakley combat books are about the best you can buy if you have the cash. They are by far the best boot ive worn yet, but they cost around 200 bucks. Look at those if you want, im in the army so im limited on my selection of boots.