PDA

View Full Version : whats the future?

bound for glory
07-24-2007, 10:18 AM
my question is very simple: what is the future for agd? and by that, i really mean , will there ever be a new marker, mech or electro, from our beloved company. now, i'm an old timer. been with tom and company scince cf00357. and at 39, i'm not gonna shoot anything else. but whats coming up? i hear things about the logic frame...the devilmag, and i owned one, has **** the bed...yeah, we got the x-mod, but will there be a new gun from the company? and i'm not "into" the whole thread about an automag '08. does tom have something in mind? will the logic frames really fill that gap? this constant speculation is getting old(and so am i). whats in the future? :confused:

Lohman446
07-24-2007, 10:32 AM
My guess is no - unless the company is purchased by someone else.

That being said I think they will continue to produce what they have now, and enjoy a niche market that they are the pinnacle of (though we may see some alarming cost cutting moves). I still think they are the best mechanical semi available.

"New" bolt on parts will likely be available, perhaps even electro and electro-pneumatic frames, but I do not expect these to be produced by AGD, nor do I expect a change to the "core" of the mag.

bound for glory
07-24-2007, 10:40 AM
but whats toms place in all this? i read somewhere he still has a stake in the company. am i wrong? i really can't see agd going on much longer with mech guns. i could be very wrong, but if something does'nt change, will the company just up and fold one day? i guess i'm nearing the end of my days in the game(been in scince 1984), and i think automags are the best made markers out there. the only marker i've ever owned that was as well made was my grey ghost. and thats sitting at the bottom of a lake right now... :cry:
and by the way...whats up with the logic frame? if it works, and the person making it is'nt a rip off artist, take the money and make them. whats the hold up? :nono:

Lohman446
07-24-2007, 11:15 AM
My understanding is that TK owns the patents and all intellectual property. Zupe owns (and I would assume replenishes under loose "license") the inventory. That being said not very many people really know.

I would point towards Palmers. Palmers markets a very niche marker (and service). Yet they have one of the most active user bases - one need only go to an OGD event to see that. If you don't want to compete with the big boys in the "new market" that is paintball it would be harder to find a better model.

Unless Jay, Logic, Rogue etc (see the 08 Automag thread) or some other third party moves ahead I doubt you will see anything new.

Smoothice
07-24-2007, 12:18 PM
To be honest I don't think AGD is going to put out anything new. How do you improve on perfection?

We have ule everything, the valve itself couldn't get any better.

If maintained well these guns will last forever!

I think this was AGD biggest mistake. They made too good of a product.

And honestly us here on AO don't help matters. We just trade amongst each other. Why buy new from AGD when you can buy used for less from someone on here. The same guns and parts get passed around and around. Picking up different annos along the way.

Sure there are a few people that would pay for a bnib mag but that is not the majority.

bound for glory
07-24-2007, 12:56 PM
well, thats part of the problem. some people hoard emags and xmags. whats that all about? i'd love an xmag. but guess what? try bidding on one. :tard: i'd love a logic frame, but when will they ever be aviable? maybe never. what bothers me most is just this: if someone like ga devil can come up with a devilmag, and beleive me mine had troubles, why can't one of these other thinking cats here do it? i'm sure if tuna or one of the other reputable techs here could come up with something, and make them in a timly fashion, :shooting: he'd make some money. this endless bs about "emag soulution coming soon" is not only lame, it's down right goofy. i know this is the internet, but wheres the smelling salts :rolleyes:

d4m4don3
07-24-2007, 01:38 PM
Hate to say it but lohmans right. AGD will be in a niche market much like palmers, carter, and cci. The company and its guns may be around for ages but it won't return to its glory days unless someone decides to turn the company down a different path.

punkncat
07-24-2007, 04:31 PM
There are quite a few easy searchable threads that will go over this very subject in as many POV's as speculation can take it. A very few small nuggets, and none too recent IIRC, from Tom indicated there was some plan for the future of AGD/what it was to become/etc. Nothing that at this point is obvious or public enough to notice.

The markers themselves being what they are will last as long as new orings can be found. Kind of hard to make a heyday out of selling the SAME marker that was available years ago, for much higher than you can purchase a used one that will work just as well. When you consider tuning LX, setting the ULT and all the finer points of getting a mag to sing that many kids aren't even capable of doing....
So given the droves of kids who will rush out and buy a new marker just because of a color change or minor milling difference, and that older players tend to find what works and hang on to it. Who is AGD going to sell to?

Jason R
07-24-2007, 04:57 PM
agd to me pioneered paintball when it was an its infancy. i hope agd will keep making quality paintball products. i hope procaps or NPs doesnt buy them out.

Smoothice
07-24-2007, 05:05 PM
Its funny I was just thinking about a similar topic a few days ago.

What if AGD did decide to close its doors?

There are enough parts and guns floating around the AO community to keep the AGD name alive for years and years to come.

But what about the soft goods? O-rings. Those don't last forever.

Does AGD Manufacture the o-rings? Or do they purchase them from someone else and then sell them off?

Tassel Mask
07-24-2007, 05:06 PM
I would like to see guns with goveners on them that wont allow themselves to be fired over 280 fps.

questionful
07-24-2007, 05:19 PM
I think that if AGD makes a low-end version of the mag that can take different-colored plastic bodies, and that aftermarket parts can be made for, and that has an e-grip, it would probably sell, which would allow AGD to pursue more awesome things such as a supermag. The lowend mag would be just like a thing on the side to fund the real thing. Ya know?

And smoothice, AGD doesn't make their own o-rings, that's ridiculous. But without AGD there to buy them from the manufacturer, the manufacturer wouldn't make them anymore. I think. But if AGD did die, someone smaller could probably retail the o-rings.

Smoothice
07-24-2007, 05:26 PM
And smoothice, AGD doesn't make their own o-rings, that's ridiculous. But without AGD there to buy them from the manufacturer, the manufacturer wouldn't make them anymore. I think. But if AGD did die, someone smaller could probably retail the o-rings.

Sorry for the ridiculous question I asked.

questionful
07-24-2007, 06:08 PM
Sorry for the ridiculous question I asked.
It's ok. :D
Anyway, I'm going to try to make an E-CF frame with an A-5 E-grip board and 'noid. If AGD could buy these boards from tippmann's manufacturer, who would probably sell quite cheap due to the mass quantities they probably produce, and if they could put them in frames quite easily, then maybe the mag market would grow a little. For anyone that might want it, here's some stuff I found out in my quest to make an E-CF Frame:

http://www.automags.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2390224&postcount=3

MANN
07-24-2007, 06:44 PM
It's ok. :D
Anyway, I'm going to try to make an E-CF frame with an A-5 E-grip board and 'noid. If AGD could buy these boards from tippmann's manufacturer, who would probably sell quite cheap due to the mass quantities they probably produce, and if they could put them in frames quite easily, then maybe the mag market would grow a little. For anyone that might want it, here's some stuff I found out in my quest to make an E-CF Frame:

http://www.automags.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2390224&postcount=3

That has already been done by both centerflag and boohyaah. Neither were sucessful. Mags are great mech. not so much in electric

Lohman446
07-24-2007, 07:19 PM
I would like to see guns with goveners on them that wont allow themselves to be fired over 280 fps.

Been done, well basically. Its a rental mag valve. Unless you are doing something really odd you are not getting them over 300FPS (or less).

nathanjones008
07-25-2007, 06:08 AM
To be honest I don't think AGD is going to put out anything new. How do you improve on perfection?

We have ule everything, the valve itself couldn't get any better.

If maintained well these guns will last forever!

I think this was AGD biggest mistake. They made too good of a product.

And honestly us here on AO don't help matters. We just trade amongst each other. Why buy new from AGD when you can buy used for less from someone on here. The same guns and parts get passed around and around. Picking up different annos along the way.

Sure there are a few people that would pay for a bnib mag but that is not the majority.

There are many ways for a mag to be improved upon/ reinvented( i am sure everyone can name some improvements that can be made,). Mags are very great guns, they are tried and true, but it is by no means perfect.

I agree us on ao are not helping the company by trading/ selling mags amoungst each other. I will never buy a new mag, its sooooooo much cheaper to bu used. :wow:

PumpMag
07-25-2007, 02:50 PM
The fact is that AGD has not put out new item for a while.

Since it's a niche company, it seems unlikely that a Quality company like AGD will make new cheaper faster electro mag and pay royalties out to some ridiculous patent claim by some other company.

It seems AGD does know its end user, getting a corner of the scenario movement.

Here's my suggestion:

AGD should bring back the Pump Kits in updated form. There's so many mech mags out there and there is a solid base of pump players out there.

Update the Pump Kit with a smaller thinner ULE pump handle, make it reasonable in price, offer an updated ULE Pump Rail, and ULE pump body. All of these would be compatible with existing mags and parts. If the price is right, I'm sure every mag owner is gonna come out of hiding and dig out their old mech mag and convert it.

Why? This forum shows demand. Recent BST and Ebay prices for used pump kits and mags prove there is demand.

It's a market that hasn't been satisfied.

.............and yes, I will not hestitate to be a beta tester! :shooting:

MisterBones25
07-25-2007, 06:28 PM
AGD should bring back the Pump Kits :

QFT

i dont even think they need to be "updated." just keep them as is and cut down on r&d costs. i have been waiting for any company to come out with one. wevo, ccm, element paintball, anybody. i have even e-maied wevo about one and they said they have one "on the radar" probably meaning they wont be making one any time soon. i think if someone could come out with a kit somewhere around $80 they would sell like hot cakes.