PDA

View Full Version : making a mag body...

SN toter
07-24-2007, 12:50 PM
Well, say I had the ways and means to design and mill some custom automag bodies. They'd be sleek and hardlined, kinda like the trend you see with cars now a days. Less organic than the Karta and Dallara bodies/ sleeker than the tac ones, and more stylized than a ULE. Now the questions...

For a run of, say 50 bodies, can I just go ahead and get started if I plan on selling 40 or so of them or do I need to get some kind of patent approval from AGD?

I need to find a good, but inexpensive annodizer for these. They would be just for the bodies, no feednecks or detents. I don't have the means to do this on my own. Suggestions?

Lastly, these would run about $150(tentatively) per body(one color annoe). I'll have images up soon if all goes according to plan so you guys can see what I'm talking about. Do you think there would be a market for these?

Thanks guys, sorry if these seem like petty questions, I'm just trying to figure out the logistics of everything. I should be able to have these done and ready by November, and I can get you guys some visual stimulation next week. thanks!

Pzippy
07-24-2007, 12:56 PM
Well, say I had the ways and means to design and mill some custom automag bodies. They'd be sleek and hardlined, kinda like the trend you see with cars now a days. Less organic than the Karta and Dallara bodies/ sleeker than the tac ones, and more stylized than a ULE. Now the questions...

For a run of, say 50 bodies, can I just go ahead and get started if I plan on selling 40 or so of them or do I need to get some kind of patent approval from AGD?

I don't think you'd need approval, but it might be a good idea to check.

I need to find a good, but inexpensive annodizer for these. They would be just for the bodies, no feednecks or detents. I don't have the means to do this on my own. Suggestions?

Sorry, don't have any ideas.

Lastly, these would run about $150(tentatively) per body(one color annoe). I'll have images up soon if all goes according to plan so you guys can see what I'm talking about. Do you think there would be a market for these?

Absolutely. People are always looking for new mag upgrades.

Thanks guys, sorry if these seem like petty questions, I'm just trying to figure out the logistics of everything. I should be able to have these done and ready by November, and I can get you guys some visual stimulation next week. thanks!

Good luck man!

warbeak2099
07-24-2007, 01:38 PM
Try Gruntbull for the anno. Topazbullet on pbnation might be able to do it cheap as well.

ThePixelGuru
07-24-2007, 04:10 PM
Lastly, these would run about $150(tentatively) per body(one color annoe).
If you can make custom bodies up to AGD spec for $150 they'll sell like hotcakes. Why ano, though? At that price you could do 'em raw and let people ano it to match their setup.

I'll just wait for the others to ask all the AGD spec questions...

Papa_Smurf
07-24-2007, 04:41 PM
you have one done?

drawn up on the computer?

Screenshots....

SN toter
07-24-2007, 05:10 PM
true, I probably will leave some of them raw, maybe half and do half black for $10 more, I dunno...thats too far down the line for me to think about. My brother, the cad expert and avid baller, has designed a body that I will have screenshots of soon-its pretty sweet, I can tell you that. Its based of the sluggo specs for all of the threading and spacing as far as I know, he's the expert and he's a perfectionist. Once we have a prototype thats seen a few games we'll be in business ;)

zazzoo
07-24-2007, 05:22 PM
Hmm 2 new bodies coming out :cheers:

MANN
07-24-2007, 05:41 PM
Topazbullet on pbnation might be able to do it cheap as well.

topazbullet = thefool on AO

Ninjeff
07-24-2007, 05:48 PM
$150 for a new mag body?

Count me in as interested.

BREAD_DA_PAINTER
07-24-2007, 05:52 PM
I second THEFOOL.. he does great work... :cheers:

mr doo doo
07-24-2007, 05:57 PM
woo cool, im interested!! yea, for cheap but good anno jobs, look to thefool here on AO.

GT
07-24-2007, 05:58 PM
In my limited experience here I would recomend selling them all raw. They can send there stuff to grunt afterwords. Besides the bodies wont include necks or detnets so I could see you recieving a slew of random parts to match with bodies to be sent out for anno. Sounds like a potential mess to me.

Depending on the look I might be in for one, but don't count on me. I'm flighty :ninja:

SN toter
07-24-2007, 06:02 PM
It started out as a brainstorm, but its been coming together and is looking more and more like a reality. I'm not setting anything in stone, especially the price. My brother said it looks to him like we can make a small profit at $150, that could easily change, and is just a starting point. I'm not looking to make a big profit or anything, just help the mag community ;)

I'll keep you guys posted!

BTW after talking to my brother we're nixing the annoe idea, they'd be raw.

cougar20th
07-25-2007, 04:03 PM
Making bodies from scratch is fairly expensive. Ive looked into it. And been on a couple projects that we did it on. It take a good chunk of tooling also.

At 150. I dont think you would ever recupe the costs of the material, your time, and tooling. Think 4+ hours to mill the outside shape (my last design took 8 to mill the outside) Whatever it takes to mill the inside. Also im guessing theres some interesting tooling involved with making a slug body from scratch.

SN toter
07-25-2007, 04:09 PM
I'm letting him take care of that, I'll update this as soon as I have info ;)

mr doo doo
07-25-2007, 05:09 PM
good luck SN toter! ill be reading along, very interesting...

ProblemKinder
07-25-2007, 10:33 PM
i can't wait to see a picture

rkjunior303
07-25-2007, 10:51 PM
queue the naysayers.

hitech
07-26-2007, 04:07 PM
Have you thought about drilling "feed neck" holes for both verticle and warp feeds? All you need is a screw in plug with detent hole to fill in the unused hole.

:cheers:

maniacmechanic
07-26-2007, 04:09 PM
You can do it ; keep us posted

blitzkriegboom!
07-26-2007, 04:16 PM
I might want one too :bounce:

edit- i really want one

ProblemKinder
07-29-2007, 01:43 PM
pictures pictures pictures!! =]

jade_monkey07
07-29-2007, 03:35 PM
i dont think too many people would say no to that..i could use something new

ThePixelGuru
07-29-2007, 09:58 PM
Have you thought about drilling "feed neck" holes for both verticle and warp feeds? All you need is a screw in plug with detent hole to fill in the unused hole.

:cheers:
Holy poop. That's an awesome idea.

questionful
07-29-2007, 10:10 PM
Yes, but the body might be too weak or something, right?

iambored
07-30-2007, 10:02 AM
Yes, but the body might be too weak or something, right?
idk, it might hold up.