PDA

View Full Version : I have a pair of problems...

druid
07-25-2007, 12:01 PM
First problem is:

Long story short, I have 2 HPA bottles. Both are without regulators.

I made a trade and got a MaxFlo (the big beast) that was just comletely rebuilt by SP.

I have a GuerillaAir F U K U reg - FOUND HERE (http://guerrillaair.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=128) - on the way and should be here in a few days.

The tanks are:

114/45 and 88/45

The MaxFlo is set up for remote coil and the FUKU is a normal "screw-in-the-ASA" model.

I do not have in-field access to SCBA and have to get my air before my renegade games. To refill is an hour away in one direction.

The 'problem' I'm having is...which bottle do I put what reg on? Either reg will go an either bottle, I'm just having a Hell of a time deciding.

The 114 is definately the bigger of the two tanks, which will yield more shots available "on-gun"...but if I put the Flo on the marker, it's staying there because it mounts with a rail. I won't be able to change bottles in-field. Putting the MaxFlo on one marker (my Ion) is going to dedicate that tank/reg set up to that marker...

...but putting the 88 on the marker would definately lighten it up but I'll have less shots "on-gun" and need to change/fill it sooner than the 114.

I already have a coiled remote for the Maxflo with the remote fitting in an ASA plug/adapter.

Should I put the FUKU on the 88/45, so I can remove it in-field and the MaxFlo on the 114 on my back with the remote attached? All I'd have to do is unscrew the 88 and throw int he asa plug w/ fitting into the Ion's on/off and go.

Help me decide. Thanks.

2nd problem is:

I screwed the MaxFlo into the 88 and it went in easy as pie...almost too easy. There was almost no resistance when it "seated" on the bottle...like the ORing/seal isn't contacting the bottle neck properly. The reg is definately tight but you'd think there would be some resistance with the ORing/bottle neck to know it's sealed.

Should I use Dow55 to swell the seal that meets the bottle neck?

Thanks again.

trevorjk
07-25-2007, 01:22 PM
first off, with an ion, i was getting roughly 1200 shots off of a 68/4500. with an 88 you could probably easily get 1400-1500. with the 114 i would expect 1750ish maybe close to a case.

so the question is, how much paint are you going to shoot. and as for setup, thats what ever feels comfortable with you. i suggest before you fill the tanks that you try every combination for setting up the tanks and go from there.

problem 2. its kind of like screwing a Regulator into the vertical asa on the ion. its feals fairly lose but it is not going to go anywhere. just get it on there snug and it will be fine. not sure if this is recommended any more but a drop of medium strength locktight on the threads of the reg will do wonders. but please, let some one else verify question number 2 :)

druid
07-25-2007, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the response...mine in red...

first off, with an ion, i was getting roughly 1200 shots off of a 68/4500. with an 88 you could probably easily get 1400-1500. with the 114 i would expect 1750ish maybe close to a case.

Well, I have mine dialed in perfectly and with the 114 I get just shy of 2300 GOOD shots. My OP pressure is 100/110 at 278 fps but that was with the old/whooped reg.

so the question is, how much paint are you going to shoot. and as for setup, thats what ever feels comfortable with you. i suggest before you fill the tanks that you try every combination for setting up the tanks and go from there.

That really depends on the situation. At our renegade field, we often have 48 hr games on 70 acres, with up to 2 dozen players over a weekend. We (Department of Corrections) play against area police departments and like I said, I need the air on-hand (because I REFUSE to run CO2 in my Ion) to cover a few days of play. The varied scenarios can eat up a lot of paint because we (both departments) create true-to-life scenarios...as well as regular capture the flag games.

problem 2. its kind of like screwing a Regulator into the vertical asa on the ion. its feals fairly lose but it is not going to go anywhere. just get it on there snug and it will be fine. not sure if this is recommended any more but a drop of medium strength locktight on the threads of the reg will do wonders. but please, let some one else verify question number 2 :)

Basicly what happened is that I rebuilt the 114's reg twice and had the shop do it 3 times (over the course of the time I've had it). The reg finally had enough and finally took a crap. It was more difficult to remove than it was to put the MaxFlo on - I think because there was a thick, black buna Oring seal. The MaxFlo has a neoprene seal and isn't anywhere near the thickness of the one on the orig reg. That, in my mind, is the difference in the tension as the reg "seats" in the neck. I don't plan on taking my tanks on a plane anytime soon so I think I might add a dot of the blue locktite just to make myself feel better about it. I just didn't want it to leak when filling it...is why I asked.

trevorjk
07-26-2007, 01:53 AM
well if air is that big of an issue, i HIGHLY suggest getting a scuba tank and a fill station, the fill station will run you maybe $50ish i think at the shop ours are around $65 new. and if you do a little shopping MOST scuba stores (which are far easier to find then you think) will have used 3k psi tanks for sale for around $60-$125. but a good ball park for both would be about $175ish (at least around SE WI it is) and you could probably get 2 weekends off the scuba if you are using it by your self. the only downfall to the scuba tank is the first fill or 2 maybe a few more will only fill UP TO 3k psi into your tank, and will slowly fall from there. i usually run mine maybe 10 fills before i refill it. before i refill i can usually only get around 2200 psi into my tank. sure its not full but if you need air, its better then nothing

as for the tank reg issue... i havent had to replace a reg on a tank for a customer in a LONG time. and i never really took notice to how tight or loose the reg was going onto the tank. so i cant honestly help you on that one. BUT i do know that, MOST companies are making there regs so that they can easily be taken off of the tank so that they can be transported through the mail and on airplanes in the proper fashion (reg off of tank)

rkjunior303
07-26-2007, 07:58 AM
honestly, dealing with tanks - let a qualified airsmith do it...

putting dow or anything else on the bottle is a BIG no no.

Malystryx
07-26-2007, 09:35 AM
When I put regs on my tanks I put just a little bit of dow 33 on the o-ring, so it helps seat properly. I also put a couple drops of blue loctite on the threads of the tank reg so it doesn't unscrew. Some previous tanks I had would unscrew while under pressure, but that doesn't happen anymore with a little blue loctite.

hitech
07-27-2007, 01:55 PM
BTW, using loctite on the threads MAY damage the threads in the bottle when removing the reg for hydro and cause the bottle to fail hydro.