PDA

View Full Version : retro and x valves

outreach
07-27-2007, 09:33 AM
so im in the process of paying for a micro mag 2000 wich i have been told comes stock with the retro valve now im also picking up and ego frame setup as well and would like to know is it worth it to pick up an x valve aswell, i know it weighs less and has a lvl10 over a 7 but does it go any farther then that?

Pzippy
07-27-2007, 09:52 AM
so im in the process of paying for a micro mag 2000 wich i have been told comes stock with the retro valve now im also picking up and ego frame setup as well and would like to know is it worth it to pick up an x valve aswell, i know it weighs less and has a lvl10 over a 7 but does it go any farther then that?

The X-Valve also has a faster recharge rate.

Ohms Law
07-27-2007, 10:20 AM
The X-Valve also has a faster recharge rate.
No. It does not.
The X-valve and retro valve has a faster recharge than the AIR valve.

In addition, the X-valve is ready to accept the ULT on/off if you desire. The retro valve will need to have the hole for the on/off drilled to accept the ULT on/off. It can be done.....I had my retro valve machined to accept the ULT on/off.

outreach
07-27-2007, 01:22 PM
alright, what does the lvl 7 do? will it bounce off paint like the 10?

angrysasquatch
07-27-2007, 01:49 PM
I'm pretty sure that retro valves come with L7's. L7 is simply an update to the previous level (I can't remember whether there was L6 or if it went from L5 to L7)It works in almost the same way as the previous level. L10, however works completely different, using complex parts to achieve anti-chop. L7 isn't anti-chop.

pepple84
07-27-2007, 06:22 PM
please correct me if i'm wrong but the Retro is just an outdated version of the X Valve??

C.J.
07-27-2007, 08:21 PM
please correct me if i'm wrong but the Retro is just an outdated version of the X Valve??

Yeah, you could think of it that way. The ReTro is still steel or partly steel. The X-Valve is all aluminum and much lighter weight.

They function the same - fast recharge rate, high rate of fire, entirely incompatible with CO2 because the pressure drop on recharge will liquefy gaseous CO2 instantly.

BTW: I have both Level-7 and Level-10 bolts for my Classic Valve. With CO2, the Level-10 is questionable as the pressure from a CO2 tank can drop below a level where the Level-10 functions properly.

I actually went back to the Level-7 bolt as it rarely chops. The Level-10, while it didn't chop, would "chuff" at the most inopportune times, often double feeding.

In my opinion, the Level-10 is best for ReTro or X-Valves where you intent to "rip strings." A chuff in the middle of a 10 shot string isn't going to be a problem. A chuff while trying to take a SINGLE shot with a Classic valve means you missed your shot and probably double fed.

outreach
08-01-2007, 10:01 AM
alright, thanks alot. so it wont be a needed upgrade if i am installing eyes other then weight. maybe down the line a little ill get an x then

chairman_mao
08-01-2007, 12:14 PM
If you really want a level 10 you can just buy the upgrade kit and put it on the ReTro. I have had both an X-valve and ReTro and I prefer the ReTro myself. I know they function the same but I feel like I get a better punch out of the ReTro valve that I was never getting with the X. I say stick with what you've got for a bit and see how you like it.