PDA

View Full Version : Why the increased interest in pumps?

JRingold
07-29-2007, 07:41 PM
So with the rebirth of the pump game happening all around it makes me wonder about the reason for this newfound interest...

Is it the change in the way the one has to play when using a pump? The challenge of being overpowered? The rush of that one or two shot elimination?

Is it the tournaments and speedball style of hosing play are becomming unappealing? Is it that the ever changing rules and attitudes of the players makes pump play more appealing to the casual player?

Or is it the economics of playing paintball causing this rebirth of the pump? It seems that the cost of playing is increasing everywhere. The costs of paint is growing more expensive (some places over $100/case+entry and air fees). At those prices not too many people can sustain two to three cases a day, especially when playing two days a week. Are people going back to the 50 shots a weekend cost saving measures of the pump play???

I'm not sure what camp I'm in currently... I sold my Phantom and have put more shots through my X-Mag in the past month than in the previous year when I owned two. I did tune up my PGP-2 though...Does that count as pump play?

Ninjeff
07-29-2007, 07:54 PM
price of paint.

I got one for two main reasons.

1. Less paint cost allows me to play more, for less.
and
2. Because it will make me a better player.

ThePixelGuru
07-29-2007, 09:22 PM
I've just started playing pump because it's fun to do in the woods behind my house when I can't make it to a field. Saves paint and CO2, and it'd be rediculous to play with semis out in the backwoods. Too much underbrush...

MedicDVG
07-29-2007, 10:33 PM
When paint is a reasonable cost I will play semi more. I just don't have $100 bucks to shell out every weekend. 20BPS is crazy.

I prefer pump as well for the caliber of player I meet. No wiping, cheating, overshooting, etc.

Chaos_Theory!
07-29-2007, 10:42 PM
$100 a weekend? Damn man, your fields must charge a lot or you go through a ton of paint. lol

With 100 both my brother and i can go to open play and play for like 5 hous straight.

wjr
07-29-2007, 10:52 PM
I think lots of it has to do with some teams getting pump guns to practice with to supposedly make them better. And all of a sudden it makes pumps cool. Every time I go to the field a bunch of the cool kids have phantoms.

I just bought my first pump gun because I like the challenge and it costs less. Also no more hopper shots.

Rudz
07-29-2007, 10:53 PM
80 dollars a case of paint isnt unheard of, plus entry fee and air..

RogueFactor
07-29-2007, 11:19 PM
1. More skill required to play than other formats.
2. Because of #1, you avoid the majority of all the negatives(cheating, bonus-balling, over-shooting, etc) that come with other styles of play
3. Cheaper
4. Because of 1-3, its more fun.

ProblemKinder
07-29-2007, 11:26 PM
i keep forgetting to buy a pump. instead i end up buying 90* pneuframes and slug bodies.

one day i'll have a pump.

mr doo doo
07-29-2007, 11:35 PM
shoot, i would love to have a pump! but im just not willing to throw down 200+ for pump guns. would definetely love a pump mag, but i dont have the money and sources for rail/body milling and the kit itself. poopers.

blitzkriegboom!
07-29-2007, 11:49 PM
definetly paint prices

d4m4don3
07-30-2007, 12:15 AM
shoot, i would love to have a pump! but im just not willing to throw down 200+ for pump guns. would definetely love a pump mag, but i dont have the money and sources for rail/body milling and the kit itself. poopers.

Then don't throw down 200 bucks. A trilogy can be had for cheap on ebay for less than a hundred. Get a PMP industries pump kit for 40 and you're done.

mr doo doo
07-30-2007, 12:35 AM
Then don't throw down 200 bucks. A trilogy can be had for cheap on ebay for less than a hundred. Get a PMP industries pump kit for 40 and you're done.

good idea. my bad, when i said the "$200" part, i sort of was leaning to a pump mag (maybe even $300 :eek: ) pricing.

but yes, that is a good idea. get a cheap autococker and a pump kit. too bad i dont know anything about autocockers. shiza!

trevorjk
07-30-2007, 12:54 AM
good idea. my bad, when i said the "$200" part, i sort of was leaning to a pump mag (maybe even $300 :eek: ) pricing.

but yes, that is a good idea. get a cheap autococker and a pump kit. too bad i dont know anything about autocockers. shiza!

you dont need to know anything about autocockers to make a pump cocker. get ANY cocker. take the pnuematics off the front. put pump kit on. adjust the cocking rod. set high pressure reg. done

Ninjeff
07-30-2007, 01:03 AM

Dude. Just search around. I got an 04 prostock cocker off PBN for $80.00. Should be here tomorrow. And i got my pump kit for $30.00 so for $110 i should have a pump ready to rock. Factor in the savings on paint, and it will more than pay for itself. Not to metion the inproved skill set you garner by playing pump. Totally worth it.

mr doo doo
07-30-2007, 01:43 AM
ah, yes yes, i am currently searching around Pbnation for a really cheap one. ill see what i can do.

still would prefer an pump automag...

Ninjeff
07-30-2007, 01:49 AM
Yea, a pump mag would be killer to be sure.

I got mine from PBN by putting out a WTB thread that just stated "NEED A CHEAP COCKER! $100 OR LESS ASAP!!!"

And got a reply. Took a day or two, but trust me...SOMEONE will sell you one for cheap.

Then i just picked up a pump kit for 30 bucks. Done!

mr doo doo
07-30-2007, 01:54 AM
hum... yea, will do it soon. trying to finish my wowzers mag, so that will have to wait.

hate it when you want all these things when you are trying to save up for something else. poopers.

Head knight of Ni
07-30-2007, 02:20 AM
You can still find "new" Mavericks out there as well. Under $90 and nelson based sounded good to me.

drg
07-30-2007, 04:36 AM
I don't think you can discount the fact that increasing technology has meant 1) paintguns break down a lot more often and 2) they can be more difficult to tune and fix. The upgrade bug is part of that as well. After having a semi gun go down on you a few times or not perform up to your expectations, that pump gun starts sounding real good ... never breaks down, throw in the closet for 15 years and it's ready to go!

I have no problem with the technical aspects of paintball and gun building/tuning/fixing, and I still occasionally get days where I spend far too much time messing with my guns than playing. Tuning your new thingamajig can cost you several weekends of irritation or more before it's dialed in just the way you like it. The pump gun on the other hand simplifies all that.

RRfireblade
07-30-2007, 08:24 AM
Simply IMO , lower cost and higher quality of the typical pump player. ;)

warbeak2099
07-30-2007, 08:42 AM
Electros have been around for 10 years. People want to try something different after that long. People just get bored and say, "hey check that out, I think I'll give that a shot!"

FiXeL
07-30-2007, 09:41 AM
Even tho i am more a semi player, i do love a pump only game! Too bad that most of the guys play semi at our field, but it is fun to do and if more people played pump at our field, i would definatly buy a phantom.

iambored
07-30-2007, 09:59 AM
I've got a pump. really old and loud. It scares the new players.

Madmarx
07-30-2007, 10:04 AM
Anyone have a pump kit for a cocker for sale? :confused:
I'd like to try one.
I can pay cash or offer mag parts in trade.
Pm me. :cheers:

Chaos_Theory!
07-30-2007, 10:15 AM
Try ebay, you can get them for pretty cheap.

JOESPUD27
07-30-2007, 11:32 AM
2. Because of #1, you avoid the majority of all the negatives(cheating, bonus-balling, over-shooting, etc) that come with other styles of play
3. Cheaper
Ditto. :) :cheers: :shooting:

Jay

P.S. I have an STO body & slider trigger frame for somebodies pump project. :p :D :cool: PM me if interested. ;)

Jason R
07-30-2007, 02:01 PM
to me its cheaper,easier and more fun when you one ball the kid with an angel. ive taken people out with my trusty(yet old and worn out..i need to throw it away...first gun btw). and some people started in pump play. maybe they like the challenge.. and paint is bad in someplaces. APe charges about 60 a case 10 to play. High Energy Paintball charges about 50 a case and to play(40 a case 10 to play). the next pump i get is a phantom. im sellin my LaSoya timmy. pm if you like. purpe acidwash is what i want.

kevdupuis
07-30-2007, 02:15 PM
I have to say it's mainly the people for me.

mt84
07-30-2007, 03:28 PM
It's playing with the likes of kevdupuis and friend for me. The experience is more enjoyable, more friendlyand less confrontational......

:cool:

Jeffy-CanCon
07-31-2007, 09:47 AM
With all this praise for pump play, I hope to see some of you guys out at Pump Pandemonium (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=216452) this weekend!

d4m4don3
07-31-2007, 10:12 AM
With all this praise for pump play, I hope to see some of you guys out at Pump Pandemonium (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=216452) this weekend!

Unfortunately EMR is on the eastcoast for me. :cry:

I do however hope Kristen puts up another OSC 12 hour pump scenario. That really rocked last year. :headbang:

Lee
07-31-2007, 03:16 PM
definately the people.

thegrayghost
07-31-2007, 03:59 PM
i think its more fun, pump, cheaper playing pump.....strategy, thinking, and shooting more accurate.....i still play with my one and only pump, BE Tiger Shark (40.00), lololololo :)

thegrayghost

PumpMag
08-01-2007, 02:15 AM
It's playing pump that really got me back into playing paintball. It really improved my individual skills and helped me learn how to work with my team. Also, because paint expense is lower, it makes paintball less costly.

and it definitely makes paintball more fun!

Zone Drifter
08-01-2007, 02:28 AM
i think its more fun, pump, cheaper playing pump.....strategy, thinking, and shooting more accurate.....i still play with my one and only pump, BE Tiger Shark (40.00), lololololo :)

thegrayghost
haha, my friend has one of those! best BE gun ever XD (probably going to be mine soon since he's not into paintball anymore) Where can you find barrels for those guns?

Ratzo
08-01-2007, 12:31 PM
I used to pretty much be the only player at the local field that would play pump, lots of people said I was nut sfor playing against semi's.
Just this past year there has been alot of players adopt pumps around here.
They are just seeming to want something different, and are really getting hooked on pump play, never heard anybody mention about it being cheaper.
But I do have to admit it is great to drop $4 and play all day with my P68sc.

Jaan
08-01-2007, 01:20 PM
1-Fun.

I've always played paintball for fun, and the newer crop of super-electro-tiny-peepee-taking-things-way-too-seriously punks on the field really soured me.

The people who play pump tend to be really cool, and when everyone has a pump it's just as much fun as playing with $2000 guns. I think pump on a speedball field is even more fun than the normal hose them down with a case of paint game.

2-Challenge...playing against semis is a big challenge. You just have to play smarter. Getting that shot in is a blast too...it doesn't matter if I've been getting hosed all day, that one or two killer shots make the day for me.

3-Cost. I've been playing with a stock class pistol all year now, and I barely shoot any paint. The gas money to get to the field and back is my biggest expense now. I can also go more often since it's so much cheaper.

4-Reliability/simplicity. My pump guns work, all the time. They're light and simple to operate. No 88/45 to lug around, no extra pods. K.I.S.S.

PsychoBaller
08-02-2007, 03:24 AM
Today, anyone can buy an extremely fast out-of-the-box Marker, and own with it.... But it takes true master to own with a Pump :D

Also, a side note that Pump Pandemonium at EMR (in PA) is this weekend... going to be an awesome event!

-baller

zipity_Bop
08-02-2007, 03:44 AM
Well got my PumpMag back today.
http://img2.putfile.com/thumb/8/21218511153.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6169795)
http://img2.putfile.com/thumb/8/21218511419.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6169798)
http://img2.putfile.com/thumb/8/21218511446.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6169796)
There's your answer

JRingold
08-02-2007, 10:21 PM
A pump with an X-Valve... I think I've seen it all... :)

Head knight of Ni
08-03-2007, 01:00 AM

26 pumps per second?

mostpeople
08-03-2007, 02:12 AM
26 pumps per second?

only 26??

pfft noob

zipity_Bop
08-03-2007, 06:02 AM
I cant speak for that one but I heard rr fireblade modded his x to get 40 shots off a 12g

Don Carnage
08-03-2007, 09:15 AM
The apparent surge in pump users is probably not just a the backlash against electros, but a sudden popularity in the 'one shot one kill' philosiphy. While pump tournaments are potentially growing (I don't know the numbers if they are), the number of pumps at scenario games is drastically higher. Since scenario players are more into stealth and bragging about how accurate they are, I'd assume the larger chunk of these pump players are scenario people.

At D-day last year I was blown away to see an assortment of phantoms and pump-cockers. They were still a minority versus the tippmanns, but it was still far more than I had expected to see.

craltal
08-03-2007, 10:07 AM
Just remember just because you play with a pump doesn't mean you will automatically be a better player. Due to the higher difficulty level, you are forced to think more, be more aware of your surroundings and the positions and movements of everyone around you, as well as have to improve your snap shooting.

Probably the biggest mistake is to go from a semi straight to a stock class/ rock and cock gun and get discouraged by the drastic change.

Open class is usually the best choice for a beginning pumper.

And to be perfectly honest, I'm not a big fan of a pump mag. I had one and it just didn't do it for me. felt more like a bastardization, but that's just my preference.

RavishingEddie
08-03-2007, 10:19 AM
Has anyone seen the new Grey ghost? I was thinking of getting a Carter Buzzard, but the new Grey Ghost is cheaper and probably lighter. Has anyone out there shot any of the two?

Jaan
08-03-2007, 10:33 AM
And to be perfectly honest, I'm not a big fan of a pump mag. I had one and it just didn't do it for me. felt more like a bastardization, but that's just my preference.AMEN. I'm glad at least one other person thinks that too. 'Mags have always been great mech guns, turning them into pumps is just not right. Autocockers, on the other hand, are modded pump guns to begin with so turning them back into pump is proper and correct :D

My biggest pet peeve now is that pump 'Mags are considered "Classic", when I just don't remember seeing them at all back in the day. Oh well.

Has anyone seen the new Grey ghost? I was thinking of getting a Carter Buzzard, but the new Grey Ghost is cheaper and probably lighter. Has anyone out there shot any of the two?I played with one, I wasn't impressed. Nothing special about it and it just didn't seem all that well made. In fact, the pump action got jammed almost immediately...so I should I *tried* to play with one. A Phantom on the other hand, gave me the exact opposite reaction. At first I thought to myself "what's the big deal"? Then I played with one for a while and now I can't say enough about them. If you want a well made Nelson based pump that's really light a Phantom is the way to go. Oh yeah, I've played with a Carter too. They're not bad but they're too heavy and flashy for my taste.

d4m4don3
08-03-2007, 11:47 AM
Has anyone seen the new Grey ghost? I was thinking of getting a Carter Buzzard, but the new Grey Ghost is cheaper and probably lighter. Has anyone out there shot any of the two?
Played with it at huntington beach. The setup they had there was too long for me, and I still prefer cocker conversions/snipers over it. But you could get a used cci phantom for around the same price or cheaper if you look around carefully. :)

nate2k191
08-03-2007, 02:50 PM
price of paint.
I got one for two main reasons.
1. Less paint cost allows me to play more, for less.
and
2. Because it will make me a better player.

3. Cheaper

third'd

same reasons, i love it too. its fun. (i use PGP and phantom duckslide)

RavishingEddie
08-03-2007, 06:03 PM
Well my brother had a phantom and I had an SL 68II. We both shot at a pole 3 houses away. My SL 68 although I loved it very much for being my first marker missed miserably 3 times in a row. My brother hit the same pole all three times. Then I grabbed his phantom and I also hit the same pole with my first two shots. :wow: I was very impressed and since then I have always wanted to have a good Nelson valved gun next to my xvalved mag in my gearbag. The only problem I can see is that I will have to get a new barrel kit since Phantoms are not A/C threaded.
I was just thinking that the grey ghost was the answer, but what I hear i'm better off getting a phantom. :cheers:

Jaan
08-03-2007, 06:52 PM
You don't need a new barrel for a Phantom. The stock barrel is excellent and the detent rings work for preventing roll outs.

I did get a Phantom barrel machined out to accept Freak inserts since I wanted a longer barrel (mine originally had a 6" barrel). You can get a new one from White Wolf Airsmithing for about $45 shipped. however, I noticed no difference in accuracy from a 6" stock barrel to a 11" Frantom barrel...I still hit what I aimed at.

drg
08-03-2007, 10:19 PM

I had a buzzard for a bit. Thing is a tank. It is heavier than a classic Mag ;) ... Carter does not shy away from stainless steel. Mine had a stainless barrel which undoubtedly contributed. Personally they are a bit too big and heavy for my tastes. One big advantage of a nelson gun or pumps in general is that they are small and light. It did shoot about as good as the best pump guns though (as it is one). A ghost will probably shoot similarly well as it is also on the upper end of pumps.

A lot of people believe that the heavier gun is a more "stable platform" for shooting accurately. Indeed while many light nelson designs have pronounced recoil, the Carter is so heavy, there is barely any.

My first gun was a Bushmaster SI, which I still have but rarely use due to the generally fragile design and not wanting to break it lol ... My current pumps are all Snipers and I prefer them over Nelsons.

pump
08-04-2007, 05:53 AM
thats only because you have an mq valve in there....stop torturing me!!!!

i think its popularity is a double edged sword.....were getting new designs and equipment, but we are also getting the punks that are normally toting ions

Freebird
08-04-2007, 01:38 PM
thats only because you have an mq valve in there....stop torturing me!!!!

i think its popularity is a double edged sword.....were getting new designs and equipment, but we are also getting the punks that are normally toting ions
or shooting those punks......... haha

bought a phantom off of PBnation VSC style black 160$ i use it almost every weekend.

Chris
08-04-2007, 06:49 PM
I enjoy pump play for a number of reasons, but mainly because I don't have to put up with the idiots who live by the spray and pray method.

Loguzzzzzz
08-05-2007, 10:16 AM
I just bought a brand new WGP Outkast Pump for $153.60 shipped to my door including the CA sales tax.

I got mine in like 3 day :headbang:

Found it on eBay HERE (http://cgi.ebay.com/WGP-Outkast-Sniper-2-Auto-Cocker-Pump-Paintball-Gun-Blu_W0QQitemZ260145203563QQihZ016QQcategoryZ47251Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
There are more from the same eBay member.

Paint-Fool
08-06-2007, 12:32 PM
I just bought a brand new WGP Outkast Pump for $153.60 shipped to my door including the CA sales tax.

I got mine in like 3 day :headbang:

Found it on eBay HERE (http://cgi.ebay.com/WGP-Outkast-Sniper-2-Auto-Cocker-Pump-Paintball-Gun-Blu_W0QQitemZ260145203563QQihZ016QQcategoryZ47251Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
There are more from the same eBay member.
I ordered one from him on Thursday. $145 shipped great deal. It should be here late this week just in time to play Sunday.

JRingold
08-06-2007, 08:00 PM
only 26??

pfft noob

Can you imagine how one needs to practice to maintain such speed? No wonder I'm no good at the pump game... :rofl:

turbo chicken
08-07-2007, 06:12 AM
i started with a pump ... played with a semi for 8 years ...then i discovered "stock class" ... and said "I can play paintball for 20 bucks all day like that" and got a PGP ...

- i do it because it's cheap to play

- i enjoy the challenge ...