PDA

View Full Version : Ya so I got identity jacked....

MedicDVG
08-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Yep.. somebody named Chris Uhegu of Jamacia New York has a brand new digital SLR courtesy of my Visa Debit card....

I don't know how this waste of human skin got my card number, but lo and behold he did.

If I have a pending paypal transaction with you, please contact me immediately so I can furnish a different payment method.

1st time I have ever had a problem like this..

Filed police reports, filed reports with my bank, filed with the credit bureau....

This really sucks

Vircolac
08-01-2007, 11:02 AM
but it'd never get past the cursing filter!

I feel for you, man. Its happened to me, also.

FactsOfLife
08-01-2007, 11:25 AM
NYC, figures. If he was upstate, I'd pay him a visit for you bro.

trevorjk
08-01-2007, 07:16 PM
sucks :(

i had the same thing happen to me. but my bank has a 2 day grace period on credit card orders (or debit cards used as credit card) basically if something is purchased on my card after it is stolen or something like this happens it can be canceled and no worries to me. but i have to be quick to catch it. i now check my bank statement daily out of paranoia after that happened to me

Rudz
08-01-2007, 09:28 PM
break his legs...

teufelhunden
08-01-2007, 10:17 PM
For those of you who are interested in protecting your identity, check out Life Lock. It's a service I use that's $10/mo or $110/yr that basically keeps credit fraud alerts on all your credit reports and continuously removes you from mailing lists/etc because those credit card offers and stuff in your mailbox are great sources of info for ID thefts. Lifelock.com, check it out

FactsOfLife
08-02-2007, 12:09 AM
For those of you who are interested in protecting your identity, check out Life Lock. It's a service I use that's $10/mo or $110/yr that basically keeps credit fraud alerts on all your credit reports and continuously removes you from mailing lists/etc because those credit card offers and stuff in your mailbox are great sources of info for ID thefts. Lifelock.com, check it out

I highly recommend this as well!

Crighton
08-02-2007, 02:59 PM
Another good one is the AKA card. www.AKAcard.com
False identity and card number linked to your real card with an adjustable credit limit.

Swampy
08-02-2007, 05:03 PM
break his legs...

cut his Jacobs off.

teufelhunden
08-02-2007, 06:14 PM
Another good one is the AKA card. www.AKAcard.com
False identity and card number linked to your real card with an adjustable credit limit.

Lots of banks allow you to do this already. I know Citi does.

Also, Medic, I know you have a lot going on being in Iraq and all, but for sure check out Lifelock or something similar, since you're now at a higher risk than the rest of us.

Crighton
08-03-2007, 09:15 AM
Lots of banks allow you to do this already. I know Citi does.

Also, Medic, I know you have a lot going on being in Iraq and all, but for sure check out Lifelock or something similar, since you're now at a higher risk than the rest of us.

Does citi allow you to link multiple cards (none citi) to your one false identity and card number? Or set a spending cap for all linked cards as a pool?

senghing27
08-03-2007, 04:43 PM
a buddy of mine said that the usual card suspects buys two tanks of gas, and a pair of shoes on the stolen card....

has anyone else heard this?

teufelhunden
08-03-2007, 11:22 PM
Does citi allow you to link multiple cards (none citi) to your one false identity and card number? Or set a spending cap for all linked cards as a pool?

Nah, their way is a bit different. If I want to buy something online, I login to my account and then can generate a card #, exp date, and CCV that's good for one use only within like 10 minutes of generation or something. I use my name and address which I'd need to do anyway for shipping and such.

RoadDawg
08-05-2007, 12:54 AM
a buddy of mine said that the usual card suspects buys two tanks of gas, and a pair of shoes on the stolen card....

has anyone else heard this?

Actually the biggest issue my company has (Credit Union) with fraudsters is them purchasing gift cards and lots of em at one time. They are hard to trace and easy to get rid of, plus you can get them just about anywhere and for anything.

In all reality, it is almost impossible to block out every way a fraudster can get your numbers. Hell, it could have been somebody that works for the gas station when you purchased gas or even the ATM that has a card reader or hidden camera installed on it (as a general rule, No ATM should have any type of brochure holder, etc, on the inside portion of the ATM, they should always be away from the main screen). These types of things are the most common although there are many more and more are added on a daily basis.

Good luck.

babyface
10-01-2007, 09:25 PM
do you have an address? im not too far.

WingMan13
10-01-2007, 09:53 PM
Just happened to me for the 1st time a couple of weeks ago. About $200 charged to some internet electronic store. I'm still waiting on the CC investigation. How did you obtain the dudes name? Jamacia, NY is not far from me as well.