PDA

View Full Version : E-Mag Weight Reduction

BlueDragonX
08-02-2007, 03:49 PM
Hey guys, I've been playing with my E-Mag for a while now. I love it, but my only complaint is the weight. Anyone have any suggestions for reducing the weight of an E-Mag?

It's got a ULE body and rail. I figure all my weight's in the lowers, especially the battery. Has anyone fooled around with lighter battery packs, maybe? What about places on the lowers that could be milled to reduce weight?

Thanks.

Chaos_Theory!
08-02-2007, 04:20 PM
Get the frame ULE milled, xvalve, the battery pack can be milled, the rail can be milled.

BlueDragonX
08-02-2007, 04:25 PM
Get the frame ULE milled, xvalve, the battery pack can be milled, the rail can be milled.

Well, I've got an XValve and the rail is a ULE rail. Though I'll likely get a different rail.

What on the battery pack and other lowers can be milled?

This is it, btw:
http://www.fatalmachine.org/images/paintball/emag-tstock-left-sm.jpg

KC
08-02-2007, 04:31 PM
Thats about as light as your going to get.

Xvalve
ULE body
ULE lowers
ULE rail (no hump)

You could save some weight with a shadow rail, but not much at all... Im running a Stiffy (1.7oz) barrel on my Xmag. It saves about 1/4 poung but the big difference is leverage. It balances better and is much easier to "lift" into fire position.

BlueDragonX
08-02-2007, 04:36 PM
Fair enough. I was thinking of the Shadow rail, actually. I've got a Stiffi that I've been using, btw.

I'm also running tank on marker again cause I really can't stand remotes anymore. It's a 65/45, so it's not all that heavy.

I've got a Halo B for hopper, I was thinking maybe there was something lighter, I dunno...

KC
08-02-2007, 04:39 PM
Fair enough. I was thinking of the Shadow rail, actually. I've got a Stiffi that I've been using, btw.

I'm also running tank on marker again cause I really can't stand remotes anymore. It's a 65/45, so it's not all that heavy.

I've got a Halo B for hopper, I was thinking maybe there was something lighter, I dunno...

You could run a revy, or get the smaller battery back for the halo.

AirAssault
08-02-2007, 04:57 PM
Or you could do some curls when your not playing. Dude, sure its not as light as some of my markers but, it is by no means "heavy".

One suggestion is get one of the dealies that angles the tank up. I have it on my Xmag and it tucks up super tight. Give it a shot.

Here it is with tank on one of my e-mags:

http://thumb2.webshots.net/t/52/452/3/13/16/2378313160041328042qxTEHb_th.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2378313160041328042qxTEHb)

Pictured on Xmag/no tank:

http://thumb2.webshots.net/t/63/463/4/65/97/2434465970041328042JjWEpk_th.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2434465970041328042JjWEpk)

I love it.

Sweet Emag by the way.

DaFin
08-02-2007, 05:00 PM
AA, where'd you get that angled dealie?

AirAssault
08-02-2007, 05:02 PM
AA, where'd you get that angled dealie?

Some one on here had 2 of them for sale and I sure wish I picked them both up. I was at a field here in colorado and I was showing the guy in the car next to me the X, he knows the guy that made them. The guy stopped because of lack of interest. I sure wish I could get some more so any one out there that has one PM me, Ill take it.

Chaos_Theory!
08-02-2007, 05:07 PM
Luke and others here on AO can mill the battery pack which would remove a bit of weight. rrfireblade also did a number of rails where he had "windows" in them which removed a decent amount of weight.

BlueDragonX
08-02-2007, 06:01 PM
Not only do I not have the time or motivation to lift weights, I don't have a place to do it. It's hard enough finding the time to swim, which I do, but that hardly helps the weight situation, now, does it? lol

I'm not saying it's TOO heavy, I use it all the time, after all. But for long scenarios I'd like to shave off that extra bit of weight. Especially since I'm supposed to be the fast guy on the team... It's easy to keep up the pace when you don't have to do it for very long.

Ninjeff
08-02-2007, 06:03 PM
Ive found that the weight of my emag becomes less of an issue depending on how i balance it. Witha stiletto drop forward, that angles the tank up, teh gun feels amazing as teh weight is centered right above my hand, The gun still weighs the same, but moving it is almost effortless.

mr doo doo
08-02-2007, 06:38 PM
nice mag. yea, with my warp mag, its ALL about balance. without warp, and a nice 3" drop for my gun, its nice and light, well, not ION light, but light. with my warp on, its all back heavy, and witha full hopper, it makes it worse.

always wanted a stiletto drop, but i dont know where to find one.... maybe a NDZ angle thing will do the job.

BlueDragonX
08-02-2007, 06:42 PM
nice mag. yea, with my warp mag, its ALL about balance. without warp, and a nice 3" drop for my gun, its nice and light, well, not ION light, but light. with my warp on, its all back heavy, and witha full hopper, it makes it worse.

always wanted a stiletto drop, but i dont know where to find one.... maybe a NDZ angle thing will do the job.

I may try an angled drop like ya'll have. I have found that the marker is back-heavy with the tank on it. I'm gonna look around and see what I turn up...

going_home
08-02-2007, 07:05 PM
I cant see how you think an Emag is heavy.
My other main electro is a Viking and its not a whole lot lighter than the Emag.
Sure you can get a lighter electro, but theres not very many out there that are
as dependable as an Emag or Viking.
I see people "fixing" one flashy brand marker or another every time I play.
The Emag and the Viking just keep on ticking.

So I guess its a few ounces lighter (which to me is negligible) less dependable marker,
or quality and dependability.

For me its a no brainer choice.
:rolleyes:

BlueDragonX
08-02-2007, 07:10 PM
Well, see, that's 100% my opinion as well. There's nothing like a well-tuned E-Mag. The latest and greatest flashy electros don't appeal to me. I'm going to use it whether it's a bit heavy or not.

If I play with anything else it's either a pump or another Mag. Though another Mag to use as a loaner would be nice...

going_home
08-02-2007, 07:14 PM
Well, see, that's 100% my opinion as well. There's nothing like a well-tuned E-Mag. The latest and greatest flashy electros don't appeal to me. I'm going to use it whether it's a bit heavy or not.

If I play with anything else it's either a pump or another Mag. Though another Mag to use as a loaner would be nice...

If you dont already have it you need to get the Xmod software.
Its like a night and day difference from the stock AGD software man.
You do lose the shot counter but really who cares about that ?

BlueDragonX
08-02-2007, 07:15 PM
If you dont already have it you need to get the Xmod software.
Its like a night and day difference from the stock AGD software man.

Oh, I know, I've got Beta 1.8 :D

cdc120602
08-02-2007, 07:17 PM
Or you could do some curls when your not playing.

Now that I'm done laughing so hard I couldn't type, I'll second that. I play with my Warped Classic with the SS body and a 20oz steel CO2 tank. I don't consider it heavy. Maybe it's cause I'm used to a deer rifle (yeah, I'm a hick) or at least an M-16, but a few ounces here or there shouldn't make that much of a difference. Plus, the curls will help you attract more females...

Good luck!

latches109
08-02-2007, 07:24 PM
Hey guys, I've been playing with my E-Mag for a while now. I love it, but my only complaint is the weight. Anyone have any suggestions for reducing the weight of an E-Mag?

It's got a ULE body and rail. I figure all my weight's in the lowers, especially the battery. Has anyone fooled around with lighter battery packs, maybe? What about places on the lowers that could be milled to reduce weight?

Thanks.

dude you have the lightest emag setup possible. The lowers are ULE milled, the rail is ULE milled too. That emag is awesome! do some push-ups!!! ;)

maniacmechanic
08-02-2007, 08:04 PM
Psycho-Balistics make an adjustable drop forward that you can set up like Air Assault's , i've got them on a couple markers

Empyreal Rogue
08-03-2007, 12:14 AM
dude you have the lightest emag setup possible. The lowers are ULE milled, the rail is ULE milled too. That emag is awesome! do some push-ups!!! ;)

Ahhh So that's who got your E-Mag. ;)

DocRocker
08-03-2007, 12:53 AM
drop the batteries in the loader and connect straight to the emag battery. You'll notice a big difference there.

Chrishew09
08-03-2007, 06:13 AM
Get ride of the Halo and get a Vlocity, they are much lighter and they run off 18V like your Emag that make it easier to run both off of one battery.
I have a Vlocity now and i love it its as light as my old Apache and as fast as a Halo.

RavishingEddie
08-03-2007, 10:34 AM
The weight of the emag is largely from the frame. I weighed the frame of an Emag without the battery pack or rail and it weighed in at 13 oz. That was not including the battery pack which weighed 6 oz. So total with Frame, battery pack and battery you have 1 lb 3 oz.
I am currently working on a project for the Emag frame that will weight less that half of that!! :wow:

mpsd
08-03-2007, 10:40 AM
I've added a Deadlywind 12" Fibur Carbon Fiber barrel, CF Grip panels and I had my battery pack made out of Carbon Fiber as well. It saved a few grams but nothing big.

My e-Mag also has:

Shadow Rail
Exile Body
ULE lowers
Tunablade

Chronobreak
08-03-2007, 11:24 AM
i diddnt see it suggested, and im not sure of the logistics

but ide assume you COULD conenct your halo battery to your e-mags, with a resistor or something and that would reduce the total amrker weight significantly

and as said a CF barrel would take a decent amount of weight as well.

DocRocker
08-03-2007, 12:17 PM
I've added a Deadlywind 12" Fibur Carbon Fiber barrel, CF Grip panels and I had my battery pack made out of Carbon Fiber as well. It saved a few grams but nothing big.

My e-Mag also has:

Shadow Rail
Exile Body
ULE lowers
Tunablade

Wow you got your battery housing in CF too? Where did you get that done.

Thotograph
08-03-2007, 12:39 PM
I second what Chrise said... I swapped my halo out for a vlocity and it gave my mag a completely different feel. That weight is in a crucial place being up high like that. It lowered the center of gravity drastically and made it much easier to snap shoot and manuever while you're guns up. Seems like with a halo up top your gun just wants to pull you to the ground when you lean out of a bunker. A battery pack like the bone would also cut some weight out but I still think the Vlocitys are still lighter in stock configuration (and can be even lighter with a batt pack as well). I love mine so much I want to get another... I have a Jr. so maybe this next one will be a SF or aftermarket chipped.

BlueDragonX
08-03-2007, 01:47 PM
I've already pointed out that I have a CF barrel. There were two other threads regarding running a Halo off of the E-Mag battery. One claims you can't do it because the E-Mag battery would be dead in short order, and the other one was referred to the first one. I can easily build a voltage regulator to drop it down to the 9 volts the Halo uses, but I dunno.

The issue with running the hopper off the E-Mag battery is if/when the battery runs out I'm not in such a great position. I won't have a working hopper, then, and I'll have to wind by hand every time I want to shoot. Though I have been looking at the VLocity, and it would be a great deal easier to run off of the E-Mag battery if I wanted to.

I've been picked to attend the Blanding 26 hour VIP event in October. I'm not gonna get a chance to charge my battery during that 26 hours, heh.

Thotograph
08-03-2007, 02:09 PM
Blanding VIP event... nice. Sounds fun, I just watched those pigtv vids from Blanding the other day. I don't like the idea of running the hopper off the gun but thats just me. Can you ripdrive a vlocity? I haven't seen one done but I'm sure it could be done. I'd say your best bet for running the vlocity is going to be rechargeables. It's one downfall is that it eats batteries but other than that it's awesome. Def would save you some weight walking around at a 26 hour event.

Chrishew09
08-03-2007, 02:21 PM
I want to make my Vlocity run of my Emag but i can't figure out a slick way to run the wire, i also want to make a 1000mAh pack so i have extra juice for both. Just in case my battery goes dead i'll just keep a set of 9v's in my bag for the Vlocity and run my Emag mechanical, gotta love the Emag for that.

Thotograph
08-03-2007, 02:25 PM
I want to make my Vlocity run of my Emag but i can't figure out a slick way to run the wire

That's the issue I've got with runnin a hopper like that. Thankfully I'll be getting some lowers here soon so I'll have that decision to face shortly. Then I'll know about the mechanical overide switch too :D

Chrishew09
08-03-2007, 04:07 PM
Then I'll know about the mechanical overide switch too :D
If you wire it after the battery then the override switch/pin turns both the marker and loader off.

KC
08-03-2007, 05:08 PM
I want to make my Vlocity run of my Emag but i can't figure out a slick way to run the wire, i also want to make a 1000mAh pack so i have extra juice for both. Just in case my battery goes dead i'll just keep a set of 9v's in my bag for the Vlocity and run my Emag mechanical, gotta love the Emag for that.

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=217208&page=1

Chrishew09
08-03-2007, 06:49 PM
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=217208&page=1
haha lol, i think ill make my own thanks ;)

KC
08-03-2007, 08:51 PM
haha lol, i think ill make my own thanks ;)

Soldering it together I would assume?

Chrishew09
08-04-2007, 06:17 AM
Soldering it together I would assume?
Yeah, i am a EE so i have some nice hot irons at work to do it fast. A guy i work with make packs for his RC plains and he always solders them, just have to be quick about it.