PDA

View Full Version : Barrels - aluminum vs carbon fiber

pepple84
08-05-2007, 08:36 PM
other than the difference in weight, is there a noticeable difference in consistency etc?

hs2000
08-05-2007, 09:30 PM
a straight tube is a straight tube, anyone who tells you different is either trying to sell you something or has been tricked by people trying to sell them some thing.

That being said I'm a big fan of carbon fiber barrels. I had a CCM kit that I used for a long time, the only problem was the finish on the inside of the barrel was worn some how (not sure how, a gelatin paintball seems an unlikely culprit, maybe excessive squeegee or the really hot soapy water I used to clean it... I don't know) the wear didn't seem to effect anything, but I gave it to a friend who's been using it with great success for a while.

Glickman
08-05-2007, 09:34 PM
a straight tube is a straight tube, anyone who tells you different is either trying to sell you something or has been tricked by people trying to sell them some thing.

a straight tube of aluminum is not a straight tube of carbon fiber; different coefficients of friction.

does the difference matter? probably not in the least

ß?µ£ §mµ®ƒ
08-05-2007, 11:10 PM
not always true, if you play in extreme cold or heat you will notice the difference with the tolerances of diameter

Freebird
08-06-2007, 12:29 AM
my carbon fiber tipped all american, shoots better than the aluminum tip. dont ask me why, its just the tip no real bore match. the back is the same

mostpeople
08-06-2007, 12:31 AM
A straight tube is a straight tube only if you define it as such. A straight carbon fibre tube is not a straight aluminum tube.

Ive used both, I like carbon fibre, but im going to stick with my aluminum set because it will not seperate on me, and I can beat it up more than I can a CF.

Glickman
08-06-2007, 11:20 AM
aluminum vs fiber wraped aluminum vs pure carbon fiber in my opinion thier is no comparison ...basiclly less weight & more accurate

uh oh, here we go again :rolleyes:

cue the kaye-meister!

ThePixelGuru
08-06-2007, 04:47 PM
aluminum vs fiber wraped aluminum vs pure carbon fiber in my opinion thier is no comparison , the pure carbon WITH a sizer wins every time , as far as durability I acstually saw a guy step on a D/W while on a marker didn't break , won't bend , and i've actually got a bent aluminum barrel ; I own a couple of freak set ups & a Deadly Winds carbon ,probley 90% of the time I use the carbon ; basiclly less weight & more accurate
More accurate, eh? So, what did your distribution pattern look like, and how does that compare to the aluminum barrel? I'm assuming you put the marker in a vice to test both barrels, and used a variety of paint. Also, how did you isolate the difference in accuracy to the material of the barrel and not some other factor? Sorry to ask so many questions, but there are just too many people who claim one barrel is more accurate than the other without actually testing. Cheers!

RavishingEddie
08-06-2007, 05:40 PM
I have used many good barrels. I had a CCM kit that I shot for a while, then I played with a Sly kit, and they all shot very closely the same although the CCM kit to me felt better. Then I grabbed an 07 Ego and shot it with the stock barrel and the stock was much quieter than the Carbon Fiber. The carbon fiber is so light that it vibrates and will be noticeable louder than an aluminum barrel. I am not talking out of my behing either. I actually tested my CCM, friends Sly kit, and stock ego barrel on an 07 Ego. The shots were all on target but the stock Ego barrel was the quietest by far. :rolleyes:

pepple84
08-06-2007, 05:50 PM
was there a big difference in porting on those barrels?

SummaryJudgement
08-06-2007, 06:22 PM
The only negative thing I have heard about CF is that it can catch fibers off a swab squeegee and that you should use a rubber disk squeegee instead.........

ThePixelGuru
08-06-2007, 10:49 PM
notice I said "in my opinion " thats what it is
You also said "more accurate." Clearly accuracy is just an opinion.

EDIT: *BOOM!* "You missed." "Well, that's your opinion." :rofl:

d4m4don3
08-06-2007, 10:50 PM
Paging Mann!!!

Pneumagger
08-06-2007, 11:09 PM
You also said "more accurate." Clearly accuracy is just an opinion.

EDIT: *BOOM!* "You missed." "Well, that's your opinion." :rofl:

LOL, now were just playing expensive airsoft! :spit_take

z1p101
08-07-2007, 12:13 AM
If it shoots strait with the paint I just bought.

It could be made of rolled up newspapers for all I care.

DBC
08-07-2007, 02:36 PM
I have a 14" Deadly Wind CF barrel. I like my barrel for the following reasons:

1) It is light.
2) It is a bit quiter than the barrel that came with my marker.
3) It seems to be very tough. I have jammed it into the gournd a few times with no damage.
4) It looks cool.

maddboy32
08-08-2007, 07:32 AM
If it shoots strait with the paint I just bought.

It could be made of rolled up newspapers for all I care.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: so true.....so true!

CrimsonTurkey
08-08-2007, 11:32 AM
My only problem with CF barrels is that they deteriorate when one uses a cloth squeegie inside them. The documentation that comes with them always says to use nothing but rubber.

turbo chicken
08-08-2007, 03:05 PM
other than the difference in weight, is there a noticeable difference in consistency etc?

Carbon Fiber looks more cool!!! :D :D :D :D

That's the only noticeable difference i can think of :D :D

Hexis
08-08-2007, 04:08 PM
I like hardened titanium (Ti Longbow). Only cause it sounds cool.

Oh, and the whole shooting sparks thing. That puts fear in the other players. "You shot fire!". Bwhahaha, lets see CF do that.