PDA

View Full Version : E Mag battery help

DaFin
08-08-2007, 11:02 PM
So, I bought an E Mag off of the nation and sure enough there is an issue.

The seller sold the marker as having a brand new battery and I just can't seem to get more than 14.6 volts out of it. I've PM'd the seller and he swears there is less than 3 cases of paint on that battery and it was purchased recently.

Here's what I know so far and what I've tried after searching and reading many threads here;

- The charger puts out 26 volts and change
- The battery get's typically warm but not overly when rapid charging (red light)
- I've charged the battery for 8 hours straight
- The red light typically go to green after less than 1 hour
- I've charged until the red light goes green, taken the battery off to "rest" for 5 minutes before putting it back on for an hour.

So what tips/tricks do you know to bring this battery back to life or is it a "new, three cases only" door stop?

Thanks in advance for your help.

KC
08-09-2007, 12:08 AM
Sounds like he was a liar. Check the battery. Remove it from the housing and look for rust like spots on each end (grey cardboard should be grey, not rusty)

Doesnt sound like the charger is the issue, almost 100% sure it is your battery.

Now if only someone offered a high storage battery for the emag...

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=217208

mostpeople
08-09-2007, 12:55 AM
Sounds like he was a liar. Check the battery. Remove it from the housing and look for rust like spots on each end (grey cardboard should be grey, not rusty)

Doesnt sound like the charger is the issue, almost 100% sure it is your battery.

Now if only someone offered a high storage battery for the emag...

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=217208

lol shameless plug +1

Papa_Smurf
08-09-2007, 12:59 AM
lol shameless plug +1

useless post #510

mostpeople
08-09-2007, 01:05 AM
useless post #510

Irony

Papa_Smurf
08-09-2007, 01:15 AM
Irony

:tard:

Get off his back, he made a product that works very well. He is actually doing something constructive for the automag community, I suggest you do the same, compensate for all the bandwidth you soak up.

KC
08-09-2007, 01:39 AM
lol shameless plug +1

I'm at like 10+ thank you very much! :rofl:

Thanks papa. Their was a need, I filled it. Now what to do about those chargers. :ninja:

DaFin
08-09-2007, 09:38 AM
KC, I have already found your thread and found those seven little letters "SOLD OUT" too. I'll pick one up from the next batch more than likely.

And thanks for the cardboard tip, I'll open the housing up this weekend.

What I was really looking for was a pattern of charge/discharge that is supposed to somehow partially rejuvenate marginal batteries. I know I am not on drugs, I read it somewhere.... Now the OP of that info might have been on drugs, I don't know.

MeŠiCX
08-09-2007, 10:10 AM
Dafin do you have another charger to test the charging of the battery? I have an issue with one of my chargers. Everything on the charger seems ok, output voltage and cycling of the red/green, but just doesn't charge. Battery isn't an issue. http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=218532

rmg
08-09-2007, 10:20 AM
I have found that if you have issues with a rechargeable battery, start by totally discharging the battery, then charge it.
Leave it in the mag turned on for a couple of days. Then charge it.
Worked for me.

mostpeople
08-09-2007, 05:42 PM
*sigh*

some people need to get out more, you can tell when they cant even take a joke...

oh well..

and for the record I think what KC is doing is awesome, and hell i might even buy his product.. we'll see.

Can we leave the drama for somewhere else?

DaFin
08-11-2007, 06:09 PM
I'm baa-ack....

Somehow I got a 19 volt charge into the battery after discharging it and charging it over night but was seeing the "Low batt" warning after less than 100 cycles.

So I opened up the battery pack and found a piece of rubber under the battery pack and the wires on the top end pinched over themselves because of the rubber on the other end. after straighteneing out hte wires the output went from 14 volts to 15 volts.

How robust are those wires? They look pretty mooshed and probably are going to add resistance. Should I take action about them and what action should be taken?

I've got it back on the charger now... should be interesting.

RRfireblade
08-11-2007, 06:51 PM
Emag batteries are in my experience , very hit and miss new or not.

I've had like maybe 10% - 15% bad out of the box. Most often it's a single bad cell. Causes anything from a lack of full charge (voltage) to a lack of full ampere output.

The best method is to go thru a cycle of killing it and fully and charging it a few times and see if it get's back in shape. Run it completely dead and hit the charger , sometimes I'll take it off the charger for a few and put it back on in an effort to force a full charge on it. If it doesn't clear it out after a couple cycles , it's no good.

You that can either replace it , pull it aparts to identify the bad cell/s and replace just those or go to an alternative battery. It's possible the seller was honest and just didn't know , it's not always easy to tell they're bad 100% right away. ;)