PDA

View Full Version : Quick question on gas milage

trevorjk
08-10-2007, 12:26 AM
so my car over the last 6 months has been averaging about 30-31mpg under normal driving conditions. over the 6 months i would drive until the light came on which meant i had about 1.5 gallons left in my tank.

now the last 2 times i filled up, i filled up with a quarter tank left in my tank. and both times i have done that i have gotten 33.5 and 34mpg while still driving the same as i normally do with no odd trips on the highway. (daily normal driving)

my question is this. why is this?

i have always thought that with less weight in the car (less gas) you should be able to get better mileage, but it seems that when i fill up about 60 miles before i use to i get 2-3MPG higher then i would normally get

y0da900
08-10-2007, 07:18 AM
Not entirely sure, but I would imagine because you are allowing less of an opportunity for the liquid to turn into vapor by occupying it's expansion room. Your fuel pump pumps liquid, not fumes.

thecavemankevin
08-10-2007, 08:05 AM
Not entirely sure, but I would imagine because you are allowing less of an opportunity for the liquid to turn into vapor by occupying it's expansion room. Your fuel pump pumps liquid, not fumes.

i think he is right. This sort of theory is also why you should fill up in the early morning or late evening when the day is coolest. The gas itself if more dense, thus you are getting more for your money.

Lohman446
08-10-2007, 08:17 AM
The liquid around your fuel pump allows the fuel pump to dissipiatt (sp) heat more efficiently. While I doubt this has anything to do with mileage constantly running your vehicle low on fuel (below a quarter tank) will shorten the life of your fuel pump.

Crighton
08-10-2007, 08:36 AM
E85? did you fill with the same gas each time? 10-15% ethanol?

rkjunior303
08-10-2007, 08:39 AM
:sigh:

30-35...

I wish.

the 20-25 i get on my wrx with 93 octane is all i can muster.

93civiccpe
08-10-2007, 09:20 AM
Lohman is correct. A friend of mine who is a mechanic told my dad that the gasoline actually helps keep the fuel pump cool and that by driving until you are almost empty it causes that fuel pump to heat up and reduce its life. I'm not sure if that in any way affects your gas mileage but I know my dad fills up more often after he learned that when his fuel pump died.

trevorjk
08-10-2007, 01:23 PM
E85? did you fill with the same gas each time? 10-15% ethanol?

i use 89 or 91 octane with NO ethenol in the gas. (we have a gas station that sells mid grade for the price of cheap gas on tuesdays :p )

and thanks for the reply guys, i think i will be filling up afterwork when i have a quarter tank left .

Blazestorm
08-10-2007, 05:54 PM
If you car is supposed to run 91, give it 91, or if it's supposed to run 87-89... give it that...

"Premium" gas isn't higher quality, it's higher octane.

regal1975
08-10-2007, 07:07 PM
the gas itself makes a huge difference.. my car gets from 27-47mpg depending on the fuel... 47mpg with 93 octane from tenessee (no additives, no smog crap, no ethanol) and 27mpg with 91 octane from Iowa (ethanol crap)..

Blazestorm
08-10-2007, 08:48 PM
Sounds like your calculating it wrong...

Most gasoline cars can't get 45+ mpg... and if they do, they wouldn't drop down to 27mpg... sounds too ridiculous :P

kevdupuis
08-10-2007, 10:37 PM
:sigh:

30-35...

I wish.

Wow I get 30/31 on the highway with my Magnum on regular, of course that's with the cruise set at 70 mph.

Lohman446
08-11-2007, 07:56 AM
If you car is supposed to run 91, give it 91, or if it's supposed to run 87-89... give it that...

"Premium" gas isn't higher quality, it's higher octane.

Theres a point to this. Unless your engine is built with the compression for it (or you are constantly using a turbo / supercharger) higher octane fuel will not help you at all.

Higher octanes fuel burns slower and longer than lower octane fuel. Because it burns longer it creates more heat in the engine compartment. Octane also influences how much a fuel may be compressed before it spontaneously ignites.

Modern vehicles are designed around a specific octane rate. GM for instance specifically advises not using mid or high grade fuels in vehicles calling for 87 octane.

The use of a higher octane fuel increases heat in the engine compartment (though this is probably minor). GM argued it may cause ignition issues, that without the compression high enough to be close to igniting it the plug may not burn it fully, and running a higher octane fuel in a vehicle not designed for it, if it has any effect at all on mileage, will actually decrease your mileage.

No good can come of running higher octane fuel than your vehicle is designed for in normal driving (theres no argument there from anyone with knowledge). It may help in extreme RPM applications (there is some argument there). That being said, in your everyday driving application the only thing that higher than called for octane fuel can do is harm your engine and lower your mileage.

Vehicles designed for higher octane fuel (through compression, turbo, or supercharging) will notice a performance drop off from running lower octane fuel (as the knock sensor adjusts timing). They are not going to suffer any drawbacks from running the fuel they were designed to run - running 87 Octane in your supercharged 3.8L (high compression custom engine, turbocharged whatever, etc.) will not get you better mileage, you will lose performance.

If your engine is exhibiting engine "ping" or preignition it is exactly what it sounds like. The fuel is igniting from compression rather than spark. In these cases running a higher octane fuel may get rid of that condition and be beneficial to you. However, this is a malfunction and should not be considered in the "everyday" driving category.

MANN
08-11-2007, 09:53 AM
the gas itself makes a huge difference.. my car gets from 27-47mpg depending on the fuel... 47mpg with 93 octane from tenessee (no additives, no smog crap, no ethanol) and 27mpg with 91 octane from Iowa (ethanol crap)..

:tard: Im in TN, and we have 10% ethanol at all of our pumps.

trevorjk
08-11-2007, 01:08 PM

im in wisconsin, and about only HALF the counties have ethanol. but if you drive 10 miles to a neighboring county chances are you can get gas with out ethanol. luckily for me, i live in walworth county that does not require ethanol in the gas.

bentothejam1n
08-11-2007, 02:04 PM
hah what kind of car do you drive?

ThePixelGuru
08-13-2007, 06:24 PM
Really? I get about 28mpg on my Outback Sport burning regular. Do you drive really aggressively or something? Just don't mash the gas pedal when the light turns green and you'll get much better milage. ;)

Lohman446
08-14-2007, 07:30 AM
I get 25 in my Z28 and thats not driving gently.

22 in my Taurus.

Somethings wrong there....

Crighton
08-14-2007, 08:22 AM
im in wisconsin, and about only HALF the counties have ethanol. but if you drive 10 miles to a neighboring county chances are you can get gas with out ethanol. luckily for me, i live in walworth county that does not require ethanol in the gas.

All counties should offer 93 oct without ethanol.

Go Go SCT Flash tuner.

rkjunior303
08-14-2007, 09:28 AM
I'm sure the turbo has alot to do with my gas mileage. I haven't tracked it in a while, though, so it could be slightly better. And it's all highway miles, too, generally.. But yeah, i do kinda drive like a donkey.

Crighton
08-14-2007, 11:19 AM
I'm sure the turbo has alot to do with my gas mileage. I haven't tracked it in a while, though, so it could be slightly better. And it's all highway miles, too, generally.. But yeah, i do kinda drive like a donkey.

AWD isn't a huge helper in the the MPG department either.

Muzikman
08-14-2007, 12:46 PM
My Xterra gets 12-14mpg

The Jeep get 8-10mpg

regal1975
08-15-2007, 08:30 PM
Sounds like your calculating it wrong...

Most gasoline cars can't get 45+ mpg... and if they do, they wouldn't drop down to 27mpg... sounds too ridiculous :P

a gasoline car with a 150hp 1.5liter motor with no ac, a manual trans and a total weight just shy of 1750 lbs can.......hell, the base model could get 60... weighed less and had 62hp...

and im pretty sure about my calcs.. not real hard......reset trip meter with every tank and always fill it up... miles/gallons.... always fill it up.. verified odometer with a gps...

Dont know what county that is in.. never seen ethanol in chattanooga which is usually around where i fill up when travelling that way.. or on I-64 just south of KY (though i usually get crap for mileage with gas around there)

I get on average 37mpg hauling arse to work and back with crappy Atlanta gas (same gas as california)... 45mpg with gas in alabama, 27mpg with 91 octane ethanol crap from Iowa... slightly better with gas from ill , slightly better with gas from Kentucky, and much much better with gas from TN.... make the trip from ATL to IA on a regular basis (2200 miles round trip) so I make sure i get the best mileage i can..

hah what kind of car do you drive?

1989 Honda crx d15b vtec.. :D