PDA

View Full Version : Z-grips and off set drops

Minimag4me
01-09-2002, 05:50 PM
do i need an offset drop to run a z-grip comportably?

Will a cp flame drop work for a while?

what are some good offset drops for pretty cheap?

This is in preperation of my z, any advice?

Dave
01-09-2002, 06:02 PM
I know exactly what your talking about. I had the same issue. I was using a Shockteck stubby, and it was not enough, the tank kept getting in the way of my wrist.I thought about getting something that would offset the tank. THe trouble is, I am gonna be putting a warp feed on my mag, and the combo was nearly impossible with an offset drop. ok, picture this, your looking at the back of your mag. I assume your right handed, so you want the tank to be offset to the left. If it was offset to the right, it would be directly in the way of your wrist. So you offset to the left. But then, its right in the way of a warp! Now there are a few ways to get around it, depending on how low you want the tank, how far the tank is forward, etc. I think BlackVGC runs a Z-grip+warp feed with an offset tank, so it can be done sometimes. What I have right now is a Z-grip w/ a Kapp dropzone stubby, turned around backwards. The curved piece that holds it all together conforms right around my wrist, there is no obstruction of the warp, and I get a nice drop. My best advice is to get your Z-grip on, then head down to the shop with an idea of what you want. Find something that drops it the right height for you, then think aobut offsetting it and possible combo with a warp in mind. Have fun:)

-Dave

Army
01-09-2002, 07:46 PM
I had to make an offset for my Mini after I put on my CP 2" Flame drop. It was rather easy actually.

I used an 1/8" thick, 2"X3" bit of aluminum plate. Carefully measure the distance between the holes in the grip (start from the outside of one, to the inside of the other: here, O<- to here, O<-). That's easier than trying to measure from the center.

Simply cut the plate to the length you want to offset, measure the hole locations and carefully drill and countersink, remember to countersink one set of holes on the flip side of the others. You'll have to get two more screws BTW.

Mount everything up to see if it fits and works, then finish or paint it to match your gun.

Good luck!:cool:

Xzion
01-09-2002, 08:20 PM
I have a KAPP DZII with my Z-Grip and don't offset the tank, I find the DZII puts the tank down far enough that actually makes it comfortable, and causes my tank to act more as a wrist support, and also allows me to mount my Warp Feed on the 'marker as well. Feel free to take a look at some pics of my setup via the link below my sig.

Dave
01-09-2002, 08:26 PM
Xzion, that Z-gripped mag is a mighty fine marker :) Are you able to shoulder it with that DZII on there? I have my DZ Stubby turned around the other way the marker pulls up very close to me:)

-Dave

Minimag4me
01-09-2002, 09:18 PM
Army-where can i get alluminum plate?

If that doesnt work does anyone make offset drops that i can order somewhere?

MajorDamage
01-09-2002, 09:47 PM
Ni-cD's Dad made me and him an offset plate like what Army is talking about. I think Ni-cD may sell his for like $10 or something.

ENDO!

Xzion
01-09-2002, 09:58 PM
Dave; I can when I'm coming out of my bunker, as I'm leaning out and sighting down the 'marker, if I did it while standing straight up the valve would touch my face, most of the time I'm holding my 'mag before me, supporting and steadying it by either the tank or the warp feed. It seems to suit my methods well, and I LOVE how tight it is.... and thanx for the compliment. :D

Army
01-09-2002, 10:05 PM
Any hardware store should have some metal plate selection.

Minimag4me
01-10-2002, 12:47 AM
anyone have a pic of a benchmark off set?

should i just spring and buy a kappdz2, im still using co2 right now(i know i know) but it works fine for my setup
what part of the tank could i clamp the dz2 to(maybe outside of an asa?)

X-Plosive
01-10-2002, 01:33 AM
I use a stubby DZII on a 68ci raptor rex, only about an inch of my tank sticks out past the valve. I like the stubby, the DZII just seems like a little too much drop when it's used with the z-grip. May be good for some people that like their head by the barrel.

Minimag4me
01-10-2002, 05:33 PM
anyone have a pic of a benchmark off set?

sadly im still using co2 right now(i know i know) but it works fine for my setup
what part of the tank could i clamp the a dz2/stubby to(maybe outside of an asa?

X-Plosive
01-10-2002, 05:48 PM
yeah, KAPP make nice on/off ASA's that fit the DZII and stubby.

Dave
01-11-2002, 04:57 PM
BlackVGC I think uses a benchmark drop like you are talking about. Some real nice pics of his mag are on the first page of the Official Automag Pictures thread and also on the Best Looking Mag thread.

-Dave

Minimag4me
01-11-2002, 05:15 PM
thanks ill look for some pics