PDA

View Full Version : Class 3 Weapons?

LinearGoose
08-15-2007, 01:12 PM
Hey I have some questions for some of you class 3 weapson owners. My Dad and I are looking to find out some information sinces we want to start to preserve history.

1. Do you have to have already purchase a class 3 weapon in order to fill out the paper work? Like the form 4 or is it more of the same time thing or do you have to fill out the Form 4 before hand and then buy?

2. Is it true once that you own a Class 3 weapon that the ATF can come in your house anytime they like and start questioning you about what you own and ask to see it? Some guy was telling me that they become part of your life, meaning they bug you a lot and I was wondering if this is true.

More questions will come as soon as I can think of them.

Dend78
08-15-2007, 01:55 PM
Hey I have some questions for some of you class 3 weapson owners. My Dad and I are looking to find out some information sinces we want to start to preserve history.

1. Do you have to have already purchase a class 3 weapon in order to fill out the paper work? Like the form 4 or is it more of the same time thing or do you have to fill out the Form 4 before hand and then buy?

2. Is it true once that you own a Class 3 weapon that the ATF can come in your house anytime they like and start questioning you about what you own and ask to see it? Some guy was telling me that they become part of your life, meaning they bug you a lot and I was wondering if this is true.

More questions will come as soon as I can think of them.

you dont have to already own one to fill out the paper work, paper work is filled out per weapon/silencer/ or even certain parts, purchased. essentially what you pay for is the serial # so fore every different serial # you have new paper work plus the lovely 200 bucks plus the cost of the item. so if its a 400 dollar pistol your looking at spending 600 for it and until you get the certificate/paper saying you are certified to own it, it stays with the current shop until you get the paper work back. generally around here its like 2 weeks give or take.

the answer to your second question is yes they can come at any time and ask to see the weapon, and they can question you on it. its not something that ive heard of them doing a lot of, but it can happen.

enjoy your new toys when you get them

:cheers:

Shawn

wetwrks
08-15-2007, 02:15 PM
Almost any class 3 questions you have are answered here:

http://www.subguns.com/

LinearGoose
08-18-2007, 04:19 AM
Thanks for the responses. My Dad and I where looking into really sbring an ar15 but wanted to get some info from people who already on these things.

Pneumagger
08-20-2007, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the responses. My Dad and I where looking into really sbring an ar15 but wanted to get some info from people who already on these things.

I'm not sure an SBR is the full $200 tax but I may be wrong. I know some items and/or conversions are only a $5 tax. It will have that info on any form 4 if you wanna look it up. Basically, it goes in this order...

1)Buy the item from the dealer (to have the serial number)
2)fill out paperwork and submit tax money to ATF
3)get tax stamp and paperwork back in about 1.5 months
4)go to dealership to pick your item

To convert your current rifle to an SBR I believe you need a form 1, as you would be modifying it yourself. To buy a premade full SBR you would use a form 4. You can also purchase the separate AR-15 SBR upper at any time (as it is a non serial numbered part) and assemble the full rifle once you get your form 1 approved. If you are doing the latter I would suggest keeping/storing any ar-15 lowers and the SBR upper on sparate properties until you have your paperwork back.

I only have 3 NFA items on my "to own" list.
.22lr silencer ---> ATF paperwork pending approval
9mm silencer ---> Getting later spring '08
MAC M11 9mm machine gun ---> When I get $4k saved up