PDA

View Full Version : Snipers?!?!?!?!?!?

paintballrulzs
01-09-2002, 07:16 PM
What do u guys think of this subject. MAinly what do u think Tom. I believe there are no real snipers. It is just newbies trying to be cool. I don't think paintball guns have the range, accuracy, and many other factors to sniper. For one a sniper is someone who hits on there first shot. They get all these equipment like stocks, sight rails, scopes, sights, tripods, etc. But i c it as none of those make you a sniper. I do think thaty the tripod and stock do help you keep your gun steady. What do u guys think on this

Vegeta
01-09-2002, 08:14 PM
Yes, i belive there are, but not in noprmal paintball. In scenario ball there is. Mostly, at events where they ASSIGN you role cards... you can be givewn the role of sniper (normally those ppl wit da goggle skins and ghiullie suits (m98 Flatline toters).

In speedball, you might now and then hear someone refered to as a sniper... mainly this is a back corner player.. nto to ofter refered to as a sniper though... mainly for cover up the sides.

All the other people you hear refer themselves to as a sniper, well do this... If you are at a big game, ask to see their role card, or ask if they were assigned that by a 'general' or team commander. If you are at a speedball tourney, ask what position htey play. If they are a newb makign up a story, they will say front. cuase frotn gets alot of action... well, my friends, a sniper is not a front player.

FooTemps
01-09-2002, 08:43 PM
I can't say there is any true sniper role in paintball unless it's a scenario game. The "sniper" pb gun is just a whole crock of bs to me. A paintball gun doesn't have the accuracy and range of a true sniper rifle and most pb guns don't have an edge over each other like guns do. Adding a stock or bi-pod might help you fire steadily but there's no such thing as a "psg1" paintball gun or "AWM" paintball gun. They all fire the same distance and accuracy if tuned well.

Paintchucker
01-09-2002, 09:32 PM
You know, Paintball existed for many years before speedball. LOL... If you haven't ever been shot by a sniper, you need to play a little deeper in the woods.

Now certainly, PB is limited by the laws of physics, and the same paint/same barrel/same velocity will give similar results regardless of the gun, but Sniperism is more of an attitude/style. It is also seasonal too. If there is no undergrowth in the woods, like in the winter, it is a little hard to hide.

Here is how we use them. We push one of our main groups up the field on one side or the other about a third of the way in. We are noisy, shooting every direction, calling out positions, etc. While this is going on, our sniper and his coverman quietly creep up the tape line and find a nice thicket of cover as far up as they can, moving quietly never firing a shot. After they get settled in, we draw attention and fall more towards the center. As we do this, the other team will typically try to flank us by rushing up the tape line. When they do, guess who they suddenly discover???

Mwmathes
01-10-2002, 12:20 PM
I Agree with paintChucker, a "sniper" in paintball terms usually means someone who does NOT believe in accuracy by volume, such as myself. I have two markers, both of which have Armson-Pro-dot sights on them, because I dont like firing more then three shots at any one target.

my $0.02

MWMATHES

hitech
01-10-2002, 02:16 PM
Another type of "sniper" shot is one of my favorites. It is where you shoot with you marker angled up to get the max distance. Whom ever you are shooting at will think you can't hit them (since your "ranging" shoots fired earlier at a lower angle bounced in front of them) and will basically ignore you. You then drop one in one their hopper or marker. They will still break there (at least PMI with the Advantage shell will). The only problem is the opportunities for such a shoot are limited. But I have three such eliminations in the last four times i have played. :D

clockworkmiller
01-10-2002, 05:42 PM
I think its time for someone who generally plays that role to say something =)

I play both recball and speedball, and will be concentrating on speedball and tourney once I finally get my mag operational.

Ok, back to the topic at hand. In recball, snipers fall into one of two categories. The first is the newbie player who just saw Enemy at the Gates and thinks he can be this cool sniper with OSOK goodness. They wear rental camo, shoot a rental gun, and generally dont own any of their own equipment. They rarely get kills, as the heat of the game tends to overpower their desire to move further than the first bunker. The second category are the recball for lifers. These people wear full on gillhe suits, goggle skins, have guns (generally the tippman flatline with LP and brittle paint) that are designed for the role, and are wrapped in more camo. These guys take talent to be seen and live in the woods, patiently waiting for the right kill. In scenario games, these are the assassins, sent after enemy generals. They only need 4 paintballs, cause their guns are tweeked to that kind of accuracy. Those kind of snipers are rare on the day to day walk on games, and usually only have one or two at small to medium sized scenario games (per side). And at large ones, who knows.

In speedball, the role of the sniper is replaced by the back player. Snipers as they are in rec cant exist in speedball. They are too highly visible, and need time, which is exactly what speedball lacks.

I began in the first category of snipers. Total newbie. I then developed my play into a cover player and mid-front player. Then I reverted to my sniper play when I got my tippman and flatline. Which of course, when we started playing speedball, I play back by default twice over (longest ranging gun and no one else wants to play back).

I hope that helps answer you're question.

ArthurDent
01-10-2002, 08:33 PM
For me a sniper is someone who can go out and hit a guy in one or two shots and not get seen. There is a guy at my local field who’s very good at this, you will be walking along and all the sudden you feel a hit you look around don’t see anything and have no idea where it came from. He has a very very quiet gun. Half the time is damn close to you. to me sniper has nothing to do with range.

HoppysMag
01-10-2002, 09:09 PM
in my exsperiance sniper is some newby tryin to sound cool but not wanting to actualy have to get action. Ever heard the phrase " il go sniper them from over there!" Mostly thats heard when the opponents are aproaching. And its a kid with a tippmann,spyder, or cheap pump.

A sharp shooter is a differant story. My friend is a good shot with his pump and likes to pop out take 2 or 3 shots, drop down then pop out take 2 or 3 shots at the guy if he did not hit em the first time. he perfers quality over quanity. but knows hes never gunna get the "One Shot One Kill" cause its almost imposible

polorboy
01-10-2002, 09:36 PM
I would say that there are actually snipers in paintball. I know one who is extremely good at it, a very close friend of mine who I play paintball with every sunday. He does not go for the long range shots, usually he will go off by himself and try and flank the team from behind while the rest of us ditract them or he will just sit in a spot and wait for some unsuspecting person to walk up on him and not see him. Being a sniper in paintball does not have anything to do with taking the impossible long shot from 100 yards away or having a gun so stinking accurate that you can hit a flea on a dogs back from across the feild. The whole point to being a sniper is patience and quietness. Being able to sit in one spot and move (if you have to) with making as little noise as possible. The owner of my local store is ex-mlitary and in one game he played in while he was in the military he crawled (as a sniper deck out in a full ghille suit) 1 mile. He has people walking on all sides of him and no one saw him. He would have a hard time doing it now because he has put a nice amount of wieght and I don't think that he would have the stamina but snipers in paintball are a real thing. As for the one shot one kill deal, well I have done that multiple times in one game. For example I was sitting in a bush in out feild and this guy walked about 30 feet from me and did not even no I was there. I took one shot and I hit him in the leg. I had about 3 others like that the rest of that game. I was crawling on the ground the whole game and when it was over I was covered head to toe in dirt and mud. So there really are snipers in paintball, you will just never see one in a speedball or hyperball feild. My not even see one at your local feild if they play indoors or on a pre-built feild not in the woods.

Farlow
01-10-2002, 09:38 PM
I would not call myself a sniper, but I would consider myself close to it. I have played for 15 years and from day one I have always hated captured the flag. When I play, I play to hunt people down and mark them in the back. Mostly it comes from me being to cheap in my teenage days to waste paint, of course they only came in 10 round tubes back then. There is nothing more I enjoy then marking someone and they never saw me. The only problem is at a field you have to be quick (due to time restraints), but when I play in the local woods I can crawl, take my time and hunt my opponent. I also love putting the gun in the other guys back and asking him to surrender of course that is a very rare occasion. I have an Automag RT Pro and I am lucky if I use a case of paint in a day. When I play in my backyard one case usually last me 3 weekends of 8 to 10 games per weekend. Sorry to be long winded, but in the end "to each his own."

FooTemps
01-10-2002, 09:39 PM
I have never seen a sniper at my local fields... Maybe some sneaks that can get past some guys and take them out but not snipers...

SGTKennedy
01-10-2002, 09:46 PM
i have a buddy that i used to play with... i would run like a crazy man making as much noise and shootiing as much as i could as he would advance and when they popped out at me, they would find they had 2 strings of balls at them.

HyperSnyper
01-11-2002, 12:24 AM
Well,

I dont believe that there can actually be a paintballer class "sniper". Like paintballrulz stated, paint markers are just not accurate enough nor do they have effective range to actually be sniping.

But in a way, you can snipe people in that motif. At my field, there is kinda a woods type speedball field. There a bunkers and placed symetrical from end to end, but along the sides of the field are heavy woods that allow a "sniper" like player to "post up" and do some damage to the other teams numbers. Simple hiding and shooting, kinda something fun and different from the everyday front player life.

My $0.02 ...

-Hyper

HyperSnyper
01-11-2002, 12:26 AM
Oh...

forgot, Im a Snyper... a Hyper one... =)

-Hyper

kenshinkandon
01-11-2002, 06:07 AM
I think that a paintball sniper is more of a Ronin, a person who goes out on there own and tries to take out as many people as he or she can kind of like a rogue player but still playing for a team.

covadsucks
01-11-2002, 10:09 AM
At my local woods field, we have wannabe snipers, and on occasion a good shot who'll be quiet and patient. There are no snipers at our fields, we have a bunch of newbies and they all love to spray and pray. Although we (me and my frontman in speedball) love to sneak down and around and light up the opposite sides numbers...but this was also something I would do from long range with my 'Cocker...trying that with my mag, it just lets loose like a string of chili bean farts...all over the place. But it sure looks cool doing it.

PRO_Ski101
01-12-2002, 08:13 PM
"sniper"(in my opinion) are ppl who when walking around can barely be heard.They usually sneak up one side and wait,wait,wait,etc..till the right time comes.then CRACK the dude is like MAN that suks.and he's gone in one shot.for pb snipers.The normal gun is usually a "sniper model"tippmann model 98,phantom,or sum other pump gun.i can tell u that pumps are usually better becuase when its semi,when u shoot and it recocks the recoil of the bolt will jar the barrel enough to take it off aim b4 the pb comes out.U rarely run across some one thats ACTUALLY trained and tried hard to be a pb sniper cuz its hard to get into the habbit of not shooting until u have a shot.and most the time "snipering" comes into to scenario games and not speedball.BUT i an say,my team as soon as we have all our guns and every thing we're gettin for our speed ball team are making a "snipering" team.But i figure it wont be used much beacuse speed ball is SO MUCH more fun the scenario.but there's sumtimes those times in tourneys that u wished some one on ur teamdid haave a "sniper"pb gun.I dont know if this really had anything to do with this topic but heck,i am bored and decided to right this.

HoppysMag
01-12-2002, 09:12 PM
FooTemps
I visited all the links in your sig any im laughin my sides off

athomas
01-16-2002, 01:26 PM
"Sniper" is an attitude as much as anything. To be a sniper you have to have patience, knowledge and familiarity with your equipment, and know how to move without drawing attention to yourself.

To be a sniper doesn't mean your gun has to shoot straight for 300 ft. Most people that I know that are "snipers" just happen to know the exact trajectory that their gun shoots. They also have guns that are very consistent. Consistency means repeatable shots. It means that through familiarity with your equipment and knowing exactly the path that your paintball will take, you will get that one shot one kill, from a range that is considered to be extra long in paintball standards.

Since you need repeatability you need consistency. You have to hand pick the paintballs you use so that they are all as perfect as they can be. The gun has to be in perfect condition and is usually modified so there are no variables affecting performance.

As for the scope, most snipers that I know only use a scope for finding players in the brush and for seeing openings in bunkers and buildings. They usually shoot with an open sight or red dot so they can easily compensate for the drop.

I have done the siper thing in the past. There is a great feeling being able to play for most of the day and only use 150 paintballs, especially when you walk away with about 40 eliminations. If a guy gave me an elbow or a toe at 200+ feet of range, there was a god chance he was leaving the game without knowing where it came from.

You also don't need the ghilly suit. The best camoflage in paintball is the lack of movement. You should be dressed in drab colors as close to the surroundings as possible. Definately no bright colors, even your socks.

Todays games do not really provide the environment for the siper. They are geared more towards the faster semi guns, especially speedball. You can't snipe on a field where everyone can shoot you from anywhere at any instant no matter what anyone tells you. To line up a snipershot takes time and patience. You don't get that on the speedball field.

That's my take on it.

Autocockher
01-22-2002, 10:33 PM
A sniper as i understand is more of a tactical weapon in real combat. There can be no real snipers in paintball for at least 4 reasons that I can think of.

First, the idea of someone being able to kill you or your commrades with one shot out of the blue is a real demoralizing effect. Low moral can lead to poor performance and in extreme cases, a complete failure to function as a unit. In paintball, I can just walk back on in about 20 mins with a cold Gatorade. Nothing too demoralizing about that.

Second, snipers are deployed usually for uhhh... "more prized targets" like officers, not your everyday weekend warrior. To me, most rec game kills weigh the same unless the guy you just elimanated was actually a good player or a memeber of a good team.

Third, snipers usually spend days planning for a mission and the enemy has little or no idea what is going to happen. In rec paintball, you get whatever the ref decides is 10 or 20 mins. With 20 min games, there is almost no element of suprise.

Finaly, as cool as we like to think our paintball markers are, they are set to <300 fps. You realy have to be going through some deep brush to get shot and not know it. I like to call those ppl that spend half the game nesting in one spot with 25 lbs of cammo and another 5 lbs or so on their guns, Bushwackers. My flavor of paintball is to grab a buddy and force a hole in the ememy's line or flank them and come in from the rear.