PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Bike Resources

SCpoloRicker
08-20-2007, 04:31 PM
Hey all,

I'm looking into picking up a bicycle for getting around the city. Lots of hills, so I was thinking of a pure street bike, but I also want to be able to not worry about curbs, go out to the trails, and drop the occasional stair set.

So, I'm thinking of a mountain bike, possibly with front suspension but prob not a full suspension. Open to opinions on everything, looking for good links, brand recommendations, etc.

Thanks,

Ricker

RobOpel
08-20-2007, 08:27 PM
http://www.mtbr.com/

Pbreview, but for bikes.

I ride a trek 3900 (front suspension, al.frame, more entry level type components) and have had no complaints with it. I'm not sure how well it'd be suited to city riding though. Not that it wouldn't get the job done, it might just not be the best tool for the job.

As far as brand recommendations go, specialized has good entry level bikes for around the same prices as treks from what I've seen. I think also the component set (fork, shifters, deraileurs, brakes) all tend to be of higher quality on specialized vs. a comparably priced trek. But, the thing to remember is that all of the components are just components, and can be replaced pretty easily, so you should look first for a frame that fits you right and that you feel comfortable on.

hth

Rob

rkjunior303
08-20-2007, 08:41 PM
my gary fisher (basically a trek) tassajara has been perfect for boston and the trails.. front suspension only and decent components.

RA1N1ER
08-20-2007, 08:50 PM
I've been using a Specialized StumpJumper (front susp only) for a few years and I've been quite happy with it.

SCpoloRicker
08-20-2007, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the comments.

Because SF is so hilly, it seems like weight is a pretty big factor, which is why I was thinking of a road bike. My ride to work is actually only a 20 min walk right now, and it's not up and down anything close to major, so I guess it may not be too big of a factor.

Muzikman
08-21-2007, 08:53 AM
If you are keeping it on pavement get a street bike or a hybrid. You will be shocked at how much less effort you have to work.

If you do decide to go the mtb route, if you have a lot of uphill climbs, get a hard tail. Rear suspension (unless you have a lock out) wastes a lot of energy when trying to pump up a hill.

chairman_mao
08-21-2007, 10:17 AM
Like Muzikman said if you are staying to the street a road type bike will be a HUGE benefit. The skinny tyres make riding on the hard surface much nicer than the hybrids or mountain bikes.

If you will mostly be kicking around town you may also want to look into a fixed gear or single speed. There is very few things to maintain and they really are a lot of fun to ride. I would check out www.bikeforums.net for all sorts of great information and other tidbits you may not have thought about. Good luck and keep pedaling

Andrewliu6294
08-21-2007, 12:39 PM
look into getting a street bike with hybrid type tires such as Kenda K-rads. That way, you'll be able to ride dirt without a problem, but also have the low rolling resistance that will help with street. If you don't want to spend much, look for either a cheap strong aluminum frame, or an Azonics Steelhead. Otherwise, a Transition ToP is a great choice.

I personally ride ona Specialized Hardrock, but the only thing stock is the frame, which hasn't failed yet. :)

lather
08-22-2007, 10:13 PM
Get a good quality bike helmet--use the foam inserts to fit it right.

If you are set on a mountain bike, I like Hardtails--generally faster than full suspensions and a bit easier on paved roads because of more effecient use of your pedaling energy to ground. They are a lot cheaper too--I wouldnt get a full suspension until you are very serious into mountain biking.

As far as brands I like Kona and Jamis, but like paintball guns find the one that gives the most confidence and best fit for you.

Coralis
08-24-2007, 06:09 PM
Ive been riding to work for about 3 years now and I have a Trek 6800 mountain bike with a hybrid style tire. (its not a knobbie tire) For a while i had street slicks on and though it was easier on my legs I eventually migrated to the wider more rugged hybrid tire because I was tired of getting flats tires every time I turned around. Since your going to be riding in SF, I assume you are going to be climbing a lot of hills so you will want to look at a bike with gearing that will allow you time climb said hills ie. a mountain bike

Indignant
08-25-2007, 12:29 PM
Rick, we gonna have to have to have AO MTB meets now or what?

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1157/1059028526_2956a09640_o.jpg

the one on the left is a Redline Monocog 29er. bought it for $320 like new while I was in SD, it's my bike I ride around town and everything since it pedals much better than my KHS. But it is also a totally awesome ride on the trail, i've ridden it a bunch on trails down here and on some it's even more fun than my FS bike. It's a great compromise, the 29 inch wheels roll for days on street, too. It comes with Exiwolf tires on it which will be fine for SF trail conditions but throw some Schwalbe Big Apple (http://www.schwalbetires.com/node/61/ok)s on it and it will really shine as a commuter, too