PDA

View Full Version : tuning the velocity of an RT-type valve

TwilightG
08-21-2007, 11:47 AM
So I recently purchased a ReTro valve for my mag and I'm a little confused about the velocity adjustment.

I read how you're supposed to rapid fire a few shots, chrono w/ one shot pulling the trigger all the way back. This is to simulate the peak velocity at rapid fire, right? Please clarify the chronying technique if I have it wrong.

Well, what if I'm out on the field for a while (I primarily play woodsball) and I'm trying to take an opponent out with just 1-2 shots (not usually the case, still practicing my aim :))

Will my first shot be at a lower velocity because the valve hasn't "charged up" yet?
Am I forced to rapid fire to ensure consistent velocity?

Please let me know if I have this all wrong... I read an article on AGD's site and maybe I just misunderstood how it all works.

Thanks.

athomas
08-21-2007, 02:05 PM
When you are going to chrono the gun, hold the trigger in. Then, fully release the trigger and quickly pull it again. This allows the valve to charge, but reduces the amount of wait time before it is fired. The air maintains temperature and pressure so this will be your highest velocity reading. All other velocity readings will be lower than this value so if it is a safe value, your gun will generally be safe to use.

TwilightG
08-22-2007, 09:16 AM
When you are going to chrono the gun, hold the trigger in. Then, fully release the trigger and quickly pull it again. This allows the valve to charge, but reduces the amount of wait time before it is fired. The air maintains temperature and pressure so this will be your highest velocity reading. All other velocity readings will be lower than this value so if it is a safe value, your gun will generally be safe to use.

Thanks for the clarification on the chrono technique.

So my assumption is correct then?
My first shot will always be a lower velocity?

I hate to use this term... but this would effectively rule out any "sniper" shots?

athomas
08-22-2007, 04:24 PM
I hate to use this term... but this would effectively rule out any "sniper" shots?No. All single shots will be consistent with each other. That still makes good shot to shot consistency for single shots which is very sniper friendly.

A string of rapid shots may cause a slight increase in velocity.