PDA

View Full Version : so tired of hearing this barrel length

Sumthinwicked
08-24-2007, 05:54 PM
I have played for almost a decade whats the real truth ?????? I have a 19.5 in freak barrel on my longbow and I can reach out and touch people that cant possibly hit me persay.... (This happened) I was in at Stalingrad I aimed at 11 people I killed 11 people.... The balls would roll up to my foot then I shoot the gunner in the mask with a break so why do people think after 14 inches the barrel limits the accuracy or distance ? Mind you I am 30 and not new to any of this but alas I'm tired of the naysayers

y0da900
08-24-2007, 06:56 PM
I have played for almost a decade whats the real truth ?????? I have a 19.5 in freak barrel on my longbow and I can reach out and touch people that cant possibly hit me persay.... (This happened) I was in at Stalingrad I aimed at 11 people I killed 11 people.... The balls would roll up to my foot then I shoot the gunner in the mask with a break so why do people think after 14 inches the barrel limits the accuracy or distance ? Mind you I am 30 and not new to any of this but alas I'm tired of the naysayers

Nobody said that over that length it hinders the distance. 300FPS from one barrel is 300FPS from another barrel, all things being equal (same kind of ball, no induced spin). If a longer barrel is more accurate for you, it is because you are more comfortable shooting a gun with a longer barrel, therefore aiming it more consistently.

If you can hit them, then they can hit you (on a calm day with no help or hinderance from wind). Provided you are shooting the same velocity, and you aren't using a flatline, Apex, or similar.

BigEvil
08-24-2007, 06:59 PM
Well there could be a couple of reason.. #1 maybe you are a better shot, or #2 maybe your superior marker can hold its velocity better.. or maybe they were shooting at a lower velocity..

Sumthinwicked
08-24-2007, 07:08 PM
well im sure they all chronoed in were all checked with zipties LOL either way i was 275 and hit everyone out of regular marker range i do have some skills but the ball literally rolled up to me

AutoMagClassic1
08-24-2007, 09:08 PM
maybe your god.

Sumthinwicked
08-24-2007, 09:29 PM
;) maybe just a hella sniper :P wel;l i can dream

txaggie08
08-25-2007, 01:45 AM
You must be god if you can defy the laws of physics.

Maybe thats why the 19" on the A-5 a guy brought into the shop couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.....

Foxworthy
08-25-2007, 09:24 AM
Seeing as velocity is measured from the edge of the barrel, if they were shooting from 14" barrels you have five inches of range over them, based on matching velocities and no outside influences.

Most likely though it's probably a wind factor. Last time I played I shot out a few people who couldn't get range on me and when they asked for me to get chrono I chronoed in at 15 below field limit. It's because I had a nice light wind at my back and was arching fire.

athomas
08-25-2007, 09:44 AM
Yes, a tail wind makes a big difference on long shots.

Other than that, at equal velocity there is no difference in distance between barrels unless there in an induced spin of some sort.

thejayare
08-25-2007, 09:56 AM
... or #2 maybe your superior marker can hold its velocity better...
:rolleyes: Oh dear... I'm not even going to say anything to that...

Go watch Tyger's video on range. You've learned to aim up a bit to arc the shots... they haven't. Or, you are just a ninja. :ninja:

athomas
08-25-2007, 10:34 AM
:rolleyes: Oh dear... I'm not even going to say anything to that...
I think he was just refering to things like comparing a higher end marker, to a lower end marker. A higher end marker would have better shot to shot comsistency. Couple that with experience to know the arc of a long shot, and you are going to outshoot your opponent every time.

georgeyew
08-25-2007, 11:07 AM
You've learned to aim up a bit to arc the shots... they haven't.

When I arc my shots for distance my barrel is ususally at a 45 degree angle, that makes it hard to aim at my target 200 feet away...even harder to make one shot kills. When I do make a one shot kill, it is all luck.

warbeak2099
08-25-2007, 11:16 AM
How are you shooting farther? You're not. Unfortunately the "naysayers" mostly have degrees in engineering or physics and have tested this situation empirically. The only thing I can think of is that you are a better shot or your gun is more consistant.

bleachit
08-25-2007, 11:21 AM
Unfortunately the "naysayers" mostly have degrees in engineering or physics and have tested this situation empirically.

pff a piece of paper means nothing. I have been playing for 6 months and I know for a fact based on my eyes and experiences that my 1337 spyder with a 32" barrel shoots 400'. no, I didnt walk it off but I watch football on tv and the fields are 300' long and I know that my spyder can shoot at least a hundred feet further, at 300 fps, with the barrel level.

'nuff said.

RRfireblade
08-25-2007, 11:25 AM
1) People chrono 'under' the max allowed not precisely at , many considerably below especailly with lower end markers and/or newer players , you could have easily been higher than those shooting at you.

2) Any wind at all , possibly and likey nothing you could even feel at your end.

3) Paint quality . . . better is very typically smaller , rounder w/ less seam and w/ more fill. Definately makes a difference at the max end of range.

4) Understanding long range shooting. Most newer players don't , not to mention most have no idea where their balls are going regardless. :)

Just a few options that DO include basis in fact. :cheers:

LK-13
08-25-2007, 12:43 PM
pff a piece of paper means nothing. I have been playing for 6 months and I know for a fact based on my eyes and experiences that my 1337 spyder with a 32" barrel shoots 400'. no, I didnt walk it off but I watch football on tv and the fields are 300' long and I know that my spyder can shoot at least a hundred feet further, at 300 fps, with the barrel level.

'nuff said.

1) i'll believe a 400' shot when i see it
2) who makes a 32" barrel?

Joelus Morolus
08-25-2007, 01:15 PM
1) i'll believe a 400' shot when i see it
2) who makes a 32" barrel?

LK can't detect sarcasm it seems...

:rolleyes:

LK-13
08-25-2007, 01:30 PM
sorry, I've dealt with far too many nit wits that actually believe stuff like that.

Chaos_Theory!
08-25-2007, 01:49 PM
I find it funny this was brought up. I had a similar situation last night during rec play. I could hit the other team cross field with ease yet they couldnt get balls close to me w/o aiming upwards. This of course led to acusations of cheating and what not (which were quickly put to rest when i chronoed TWICE at the same speed they were shooting at). Paint, barrel, matching, etc. all plays a role. They were shooting tippmanns with what im sure was a horrid paint match and crappy paint while i was shootimg my mQ valved excal with a pipe and a good paint match and beter paint.

warbeak2099
08-25-2007, 01:52 PM
my mQ valved excal

So I'm guessing you want to get mugged is that it?

OneUp
08-25-2007, 02:16 PM

because longer barrel gives more friction for the ball to grind against, requiring more air to push it, that's the hypothesis. If you chrono with a 12 inch barrel without touching anything else you might find the gun shooting above 300 fps, so you can lower the reg pressure and save some gas.

Chaos_Theory!
08-25-2007, 02:33 PM

:p

LK-13
08-25-2007, 03:16 PM
something i have often wondered about:

if you hear a report when you shoot your Paintball gun,
that report is the gas in the barrel venting into the surrounding air.
the sound is created by that gas being of higher pressure than the surrounding air.
so if the gas in the barrel is still of higher pressure than the surrounding air
wouldn't it still be providing energy to the ball?
if it is still providing energy to the ball then would that not cancel out any friction that the barrel maybe creating?

just a line of thought that i haven't been able to get around.

i hope Tom Kaye visits from time to time,
he is one of the few that might be able to explain this scientifically.

maniacmechanic
08-25-2007, 03:59 PM
this is informative & a good read http://www.actionpursuitgames.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=150&Itemid=87

going_home
08-25-2007, 04:34 PM
i was shootimg my mQ valved excal

Now that was funny !

:rofl:

warbeak2099
08-25-2007, 04:41 PM
Hey it's not my fault he decided to have the ueber gun lol.

athomas
08-28-2007, 09:51 AM
the sound is created by that gas being of higher pressure than the surrounding air.
so if the gas in the barrel is still of higher pressure than the surrounding air
wouldn't it still be providing energy to the ball? if it is still providing energy to the ball then would that not cancel out any friction that the barrel maybe creating??As soon as the ball exits the barrel, the excess air dispells in towards the path of least resistance. The least resistance is into free air, not providing push against the back of the ball. Escentially, there is no additional acceleration provided to the ball once it has left the end of the barrel, no matter how much excess air is in the barrel.

Depending on the efficiency of the air delivery by the valve, there is an optimum barrel length. They usually range around the 10" length, give or take a few inches. A shorter barrel, requires more air to accelerate the ball in a shorter distance. A longer barrel requires more air to maintain velocity against the barrel friction for the additional length.

SR_matt
08-28-2007, 12:14 PM
length will allow it to go straight farther but not give more distance. lp vs hp will change the distance slightly as well (most people will argue this one but it is what it is, you cant prove it on paper but i have has multiple people with high levels of education is science fields say to me, you cant prove it on paper but it happens this way so there). lp guns will let you shoot ever so slightly farther (the difference between a bounce and a break) so that might be what is happening here for you.

now im going to go get under my shelter before people start trying to bomb me telling me i dont know what im talking about, but i swear it works that way but logically it wouldnt then again logically on paper paintballs should fly much farther before dropping off but they dont.
-matt

Lohman446
08-28-2007, 12:28 PM
length will allow it to go straight farther but not give more distance. lp vs hp will change the distance slightly as well (most people will argue this one but it is what it is, you cant prove it on paper but i have has multiple people with high levels of education is science fields say to me, you cant prove it on paper but it happens this way so there).

You have quantitative data from a controlled environment? Those that do, all physics aside, would disagree with you. And no, logically paintballs should fly just the distance they do if your logic happens to be based on the laws of physics.

y0da900
08-28-2007, 12:49 PM
then again logically on paper paintballs should fly much farther before dropping off but they dont.
-matt

Only if you completely disregard air resistance and only account for gravity acting on the ball.

athomas
08-28-2007, 02:09 PM
.... but i have has multiple people with high levels of education is science fields say to me, you cant prove it on paper but it happens this way so there...There is a reason they can't prove it on paper. If they could even prove it showing data they could become famous, but they can't because there is no way to back up that statement. Having a high level of education is also not necessarily meaning a high level of knowledge. Some of the smartest people I know have virtually no education, whilst others that I know that have several degrees couldn't think their way out of an open box.

You can't refute science without some sort of data or some sort of precedent that has been previously set.

Andrewliu6294
08-28-2007, 02:16 PM
i dunno, but a combination of good paint/barrel match, consistant velocity, and heavy paint, plus the fact that you're using a 19" barrel vs. most likely 12-14" for the other people. could do it, if they have bad matches.

a 19" barrel will shoot 7" farther than a 12" barrel, if at same velocity.

Chaos_Theory!
08-28-2007, 04:47 PM
length will allow it to go straight farther but not give more distance. lp vs hp will change the distance slightly as well (most people will argue this one but it is what it is, you cant prove it on paper but i have has multiple people with high levels of education is science fields say to me, you cant prove it on paper but it happens this way so there). lp guns will let you shoot ever so slightly farther (the difference between a bounce and a break) so that might be what is happening here for you.

now im going to go get under my shelter before people start trying to bomb me telling me i dont know what im talking about, but i swear it works that way but logically it wouldnt then again logically on paper paintballs should fly much farther before dropping off but they dont.
-matt

lol, no.

Sumthinwicked
08-28-2007, 08:46 PM
look at my lil rant :P

AGD
08-28-2007, 11:26 PM
wouldn't it still be providing energy to the ball?
if it is still providing energy to the ball then would that not cancel out any friction that the barrel maybe creating?

This is actually a pretty smart observation and a good interpretation of the facts, BRAVO!

If you hear the air blast after the ball leaves the barrel you are correct in assuming it has some energy left. The problem is that the ball traveling at high speed down the barrel has friction where it contacts the bore and this is attempting to slow it down.

So in fact you want the ball to leave the barrel at the point it has reached max velocity. This means there will still be air pressure behind the ball. Now if you want to achieve the tightest possible FPS from shot to shot you want to go with a shorter barrel so it chops off the acceleration before it starts reaching max velocity.

Since all guns shoot the paintball within 20 psi or so of each other, we determined the best overall barrel length is around 10" of control bore. Go ahead and tell me all about the long barrel crap and the low pressure crap. Best of all tell me that ALL the people you know have seen X barrel shoot better than some other. My comment back, one million lemings can't be wrong!! (been waiting to use that line)

Still here,

AGD

behemoth
08-28-2007, 11:31 PM
This is actually a pretty smart observation and a good interpretation of the facts, BRAVO!

If you hear the air blast after the ball leaves the barrel you are correct in assuming it has some energy left. The problem is that the ball traveling at high speed down the barrel has friction where it contacts the bore and this is attempting to slow it down.

So in fact you want the ball to leave the barrel at the point it has reached max velocity. This means there will still be air pressure behind the ball. Now if you want to achieve the tightest possible FPS from shot to shot you want to go with a shorter barrel so it chops off the acceleration before it starts reaching max velocity.

Since all guns shoot the paintball within 20 psi or so of each other, we determined the best overall barrel length is around 10" of control bore. Go ahead and tell me all about the long barrel crap and the low pressure crap. Best of all tell me that ALL the people you know have seen X barrel shoot better than some other. My comment back, one million lemings can't be wrong!! (been waiting to use that line)

Still here,

AGD

NO WAY.

MY 21INCH SNIPER BARREL SHOOTS FARTHER, FLATTER, AND DEAD QUIET. I SNIPE DOODS FROM ACROSS THE FEILD.

Good to see you back, how was the move?

Sumthinwicked
08-31-2007, 07:39 PM
and my post was moved arrrrr :argh: