PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone suggestions

bornl33t
08-28-2007, 05:17 AM
I know this topic pop up quite a bit. But I'm really frustrated with my current situation. I'm on Verizon and I'm not finding a phone that I'm happy with. I recently purchased a Motorola k1m and was initially fine with it. But it's Verizon interface is REALLY slow and often buggy. Plus it doesn't feature a a2dp BT profile. I used it for a while then was struck by dumb luck and the phone fell 2 feet to the ground while open cracking the main screen. Motorola just sent it back stating it cannot be fixed. I like the looks of Motorola phones but they are irresponsibly fragile.

Verizon also refuses to activate and phone on it's network that was not originally sold as a verizon phone. So what are my options guys? Anyone have any experience with samsungs? I know they are no Nokia but they gotta be better then Motorola's right?

zipity_Bop
08-28-2007, 05:56 AM
yeah i understand your dilemma.......

verizon phone are prone to breaking....... my bro's chocolate breaks daily the "innovative" buttons are crap....

I wouldn't buy another new phone from them i got an old phone from my dad and am using that till i can change plans

Muzikman
08-28-2007, 09:14 AM
A lot of people I know have been having good luck with the MotoQ.

I have had a lot of Samsung and Sonyo phones and was never inpressed with the durability of the Samsung (though I loved my i500). Sanyo phones had lasted the longest for me, but they tend not to be flashy with all the cool doo-dads.

rkjunior303
08-28-2007, 09:17 AM
The MotoQ is a great phone but the battery life is HORRIBLE on it. I work for Sprint, so we have a lot of the same units that Verizon does.

verizon phone are prone to breaking.......

"verizon" has nothing to do with it. they don't manufacture the phones, they just resell units they get from LG, Samsung, Motorola, etc..

Samsung makes a great unit. So does HTC. Any of the Smartphones that use Activesync or Goodlink for e-mail will be battery challenged due to how the unit syncs. If I didn't carry a Smartphone for work, I'd carry a Samsung or Sanyo as well.

Muzikman
08-28-2007, 12:45 PM
Yeah, I got the MotoQ through Sprint and the phone is great, but I was forced to buy a car charger. I charge it at home, in the car and at work via the USB.

BTW, Sprint has been screwing me over. After having service with them for 10 years I think i am going to switch providers when the contract is up and if they screw me again, I'll do it before the contract is up.

Glickman
08-28-2007, 12:54 PM
i have the LG enV

http://www.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2006/11/lgenv1.jpg

its thinner that you would think, but the thing is a brick. i've dropped it on the cement at least a dozen times with no problems, just scratching the case ;)

both the enV and the vx9800 are beastly. when i was sending my vx9800 back due to scratching the screen, i threw it against the wall, TRYING to break it, but alas, no luck :D

rkjunior303
08-28-2007, 12:56 PM
Yeah, I got the MotoQ through Sprint and the phone is great, but I was forced to buy a car charger. I charge it at home, in the car and at work via the USB.

BTW, Sprint has been screwing me over. After having service with them for 10 years I think i am going to switch providers when the contract is up and if they screw me again, I'll do it before the contract is up.

Jason, what's wrong? Shoot me a PM, I can probably help.

BobTheCow
08-28-2007, 01:11 PM
I've had great luck with my run of LG phones. I'm currently very happy with my LG VX8600, and I know several people who like their LG VX8300s as well. Check out either of those; they're not too expensive, don't look like crap, and have any feature I could ever want out of a Verizon phone.

robnix
08-28-2007, 01:32 PM
I know this topic pop up quite a bit. But I'm really frustrated with my current situation. I'm on Verizon and I'm not finding a phone that I'm happy with. I recently purchased a Motorola k1m and was initially fine with it. But it's Verizon interface is REALLY slow and often buggy. Plus it doesn't feature a a2dp BT profile. I used it for a while then was struck by dumb luck and the phone fell 2 feet to the ground while open cracking the main screen. Motorola just sent it back stating it cannot be fixed. I like the looks of Motorola phones but they are irresponsibly fragile.

Verizon also refuses to activate and phone on it's network that was not originally sold as a verizon phone. So what are my options guys? Anyone have any experience with samsungs? I know they are no Nokia but they gotta be better then Motorola's right?

I have a Samsung Blackjack. I won't have it much longer, Windows Mobile is trash. It's slow and an absolute mess of an interface. Grab an unlocked nokia e61 if you can, it's an awesome phone that does blackberry connect and goodlink, plus is wifi enabled.

bornl33t
08-28-2007, 02:16 PM
Well I'm not really looking for a PDA style phone. I just want a phone if possible with some sort of mp3 capability. I perfer bar style phones.

CKY_Alliance
08-28-2007, 05:49 PM
Nokia and Samsung make well built phones from my expierence. I had a Nokia, decided to take it swimming..made me sad..got stuck with a motorola since suncom sucks and wouldnt replace it with a nicer phone...well the motorola sucked very much,felt cheap, bad reception...now i have a samsung, and it is well made,has all the things I need plus more (except aim which suncom took the liberty of taking it off the phone) also i get service in places I never did before...

so I'd go with a Samsung or Nokia

maxama10
08-28-2007, 08:06 PM
I had this phone for a while before it started replicating my text msg's 20 times a day. http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/product/details.jsp?globalObjectId=82

My friend also had it. We both abused them a lot and they held up for quite some time. My friend ran over his with a fourwheeler several times. He fences for a company out of nevada and was constantly on the go and beating up his phone. The most he managed to do was to break off the antana but it still worked. Until he got a krazr which he broke in the first week. I dropped mine tons of times and it never even phased it. Unfortunately the phone tech support told me to go to the store and have it flashed. The store said they could no longer flash it and I had to get a new phone. They sent me a Razr free. It doesnt compare to the E815. The screen size is about the same though, which is a huge plus.

Im not sure if its what youre looking for but its deffinently durable. And I think they changed it to a new 816 but I don't know if it is as reliable as the 815.

Goodluck.

Will Wood
08-28-2007, 08:22 PM
Blackberry! Now I always thought they were stupid but my dad just got one and those things are cool!

Since I guess they won't activate non verizon phones I'd just say go in the store and play around with the phones until you like one. (I swear my phone was non verizon.. I got a new one I broke it so the one I got now says verizon but I swear I bought the first one non verizon.. guess not)

I like Samsung and LG. I've only like these two brands. I took a risk with the Samsung I was always LG but I like it too. For me durability is a big thing, and I've gone through a couple due to water damage but none due to physical damage.

I won't buy a phone without having used it first, I suggest you do the same. See someone on the street with a cool one, or in the store, check em out first.

tribalman
08-29-2007, 04:50 AM
Well I'm not really looking for a PDA style phone. I just want a phone if possible with some sort of mp3 capability. I perfer bar style phones.

i have a motorola L7c Slvr. its the candybar one. i hate slide phones (except for the ones in matrix 1) and can't stand flips, so i got the slvr. so far it's been 7 months and it's not broken. i've dropped it quite a few times. instead of putting it into a cupholder or something when i'm done talking on it while i'm driving i put it in my lap and forget its there and drop it when i get out. only thing wrong with mine is that the center glue on button cover fell off, /scarcasm oh noe! it can connect with computers via usb. the phone has also can have extra memory added to it with a micro SD card. i put 1GB into mine. lots and lots of space for mp3s, pics, vids. also, if you have a way to edit a song down to <40 seconds you can make mp3s into your ring tone. i really like this phone. but it was 300+ when i got it back in december. who knows now.

bornl33t
08-29-2007, 05:29 AM
heh, I had the e815 before the k1m I litterally destroyed it in 12 months. The screen was broke on the outsdie, the antena was gone, and case was falling appart and what killed it? The charge port cam unsoldered. Before that i had some motorolla on US cellular I got so fed up with this phone that i litterally threw it out the window, called verizon and paid us cellular to leave. This phone and the lack of Customer service costed us cellular a 6 year customer.

Anyway, I've had 3 moto's now and I'm done. I wish the american market would handle Nokia better. World wide they are the most sold phone, but not in the US anymore...

AirAssault
08-29-2007, 08:22 AM

I had Nextel, sweet customer service ok reception, bought a new house and couldn't get service in parts of it. Then sprint took over, the entire thing went to poo. Sprint can kiss my hairy bean bag. Was paying 120+ for sprint crap, even after "switching" over to a sprint phone I still couldn't get service in parts of my house. Bye bye sprint, hello cingular. Way better service and at a lower price. As a matter of fact Im still paying less even with the $20 extra I have to pay for my iPhone.

t0nnn
08-29-2007, 09:37 AM
I used to get terrible service with my nextel ...switched to sprint and I get better service if that makes sense? Nextel went to crap, 5-6yrs ago when I first got nextel I used to get amazing service

Muzikman
08-29-2007, 10:13 AM
Back before Nextel and Sprint merged, my father had Nextel. He might have had good reception but their network was always flooded. I would always get the "Please wait while the Nextel subscriber you are trying to reach is found" or some crap like that. My uncle used all Nextels for his business, but because you could never get through to anyone he dropped them. He now uses cricket and just buys their cheapest phones (his business is heating and air, so none of the guys are ever out of the area).

jenarelJAM
09-01-2007, 03:11 AM
If you switch to a GSM provider...

I bought the Samsung D900 a couple months ago. So far it's been great. Very customizable (reflashed the firmware, etc.) loud, plays mp3's, GREAT camera (3mp), slider, thin and light, big screen. Battery life isn't great, but I recharge my phone every night anyway. There have been some reports of it breaking easily, but mine's been durable enough. I take care of it, but I've dropped it a few times and it gets bumped in my pocket all the time, and it looks practically new. No screen protectors or anything.

When I was looking into a new phone, someone on AO recommended I go to www.howardforums.com for info. I would recommend you check it out. Lots of good info there.

trevorjk
09-01-2007, 03:22 PM
verizon sucks for phones. (period)

although i have noticed that they really do have the best signal and reliability (in my area)

withh that said, im still going to ATT in a month

Sony Erricson k850I here i come! :) otherwise nokia makes some great phones to

robnix
09-01-2007, 04:56 PM
verizon sucks for phones. (period)

although i have noticed that they really do have the best signal and reliability (in my area)

withh that said, im still going to ATT in a month

Sony Erricson k850I here i come! :) otherwise nokia makes some great phones to

As an FYI, ATT disables certain useful features in their PDA phones like Wi-Fi. The Nokia N62, Blackjack, an upcoming Blackberry, the k850, and some other upcoming phones are all like this.

trevorjk
09-01-2007, 05:17 PM
As an FYI, ATT disables certain useful features in their PDA phones like Wi-Fi. The Nokia N62, Blackjack, an upcoming Blackberry, the k850, and some other upcoming phones are all like this.

i know i know, im buying unlocked though :p