PDA

View Full Version : Paintball Dave's

paintballer187
01-10-2002, 01:25 PM
I just read over Paintball Dave's website in Milwaukee(sp?) and they have tournaments. I live about 4 hours away and have seriously considered making it to a few of there events. has anyone played there indoor and/or outdoor? if you have can you tell me if you would recommend it why/why not, thanks.

the JoKeR
01-10-2002, 01:40 PM
Actually played there the last three weekends and am heading down there again tomorrow night. From what I can gather, I wouldn't waste your time driving over for the tournament. It's limited to 8 teams and actually runs over the next 6 months going between their indoor and outdoor fields. The only real way I can see anybody walking away with a good placing in the tournament is to pay for and play in all 6 tournaments. It's even possible for each month's tournament to have completely different teams than previous ones. I'm planning on playing the tournament, but I'm only 20 minutes from Dave's. Then again, if you're itching for a 3 man game... Their indoor fields are pretty small (I'm used to outdoor play), but can still be challenging. There's not much advantage from one side to the next, even though the fields aren't mirrored.
Have you made it to any of the Paintball Sam's events? It'd be about a half hour shorter drive!:) They've had two big games per year for quite a while, and just started this last summer branching into scenario games (OK, they had one scenario game, but Tom was there).

skipdogg
01-10-2002, 01:47 PM
my $.02 is wait for the big game's at Sam's if your coming to Wisconsin

the JoKeR
01-10-2002, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by skipdogg
my $.02 is wait for the big game's at Sam's if your coming to Wisconsin

Yeah, 200+ per side for capture the flag! About 1/2 mile of woods, swamp, brush, and open field between the two story forts! If you've never been in a 50+ on 50+ firefight, it's interesting :eek:

paintballer187
01-11-2002, 07:17 AM
what city is Paintball Sam's located in? the only WI field i have played at was T&M Paintball Sports, i don't even know if they are open still, last i heard the were still trying to sell it. I went there for 3 of there WWII scenerio games before.

About Paintball Dave's, i am just looking for a good place to get started in tournaments. 4 hours isn't to bad of a drive. I wasn't planning on making it to all 6 events just a few.

the JoKeR
01-11-2002, 09:12 AM
Sam's is in Racine WI. Since you'd be heading around the bottom of Lake Michigan through Chicago, you'd hit Racine about 1/2 hour north across the boarder into WI on I-94. Take the Hwy K exit, then 2 miles west. Easy to find. LOTS of fields and plenty of action.
Obviously, it's up to you to determine if the drive to Dave's is worth it. I'd like to see more teams signed up, considering the limit is 8.

snowman
01-11-2002, 09:21 AM
Sam's is definately better, except for the paint prices. Dave's indoor blows in my opinion. They have three floors of playing, not at the same time. The basement is cool because you can play in the dark, but the other "fields" are covered with sawdust and kitty litter. I manage to scrape my knees all the time. Sam's is way better to play on.

animal
01-11-2002, 11:15 AM
Well if you wear a decent set of knee pads, daves is not brutal on the knees. They're no long er using sawdust, but they do use kitty litter/oil dry (might be the same thing). It takes a bit to get used to, but if you can manage to stay off of leaning on the walls, you can actually stay somewhat clean. In my opinion, you might be a bit disappointed for driving 4 hours to go there. There are far better fields to go to if you're willing to drive that far. Granted it is a tournament, but Joker is right. You'd need to attend almost all of them to make sure you gain the points tally to get anything out of it. Might just be me, but I'm sure you could do better within 4 hours as far as a beginner tournament goes. Not trying to talk you out of it, just a fair warning that it might not be all you're thinking it will be. There are pictures of the place... http://www.paintballdaves.com.

the JoKeR
01-11-2002, 12:33 PM
Sam's paint prices could use some improvement, but considering I only pay for paint and air, I can live with them. As a member, there are no field fees and I can skip orientation. Well worth it, IMHO. And yeah, my knee/shin pads earn their keep at Dave's.

Hexis
01-11-2002, 01:07 PM
Look at it this way. I drive from Minneapolis for each and every Big Game at Sam's. I bring a crew of 15-20 with me. Even Tom Kaye makes it to the Big Games at Sam's.

www.paintballsams.com

(bad web page, good paintball)

the JoKeR
01-11-2002, 01:27 PM
Wonder if you were with the group from MN parked behind me for the Saturday game. Bunch of guys grilling burgers and such, second or third row in all the way over to the left of the parking lot? I had the older full size Blazer and was shooting a PPS Blazer. Almost ran over a grill trying to get out of the lot. Sound familiar?

paintballer187
01-11-2002, 04:23 PM
the JoKeR--its about a 5 1/2 hour drive from here to Paintball Sam's, i don't really wanna drive that far. but it does sound like a good place. Just curious where do u think i live? you were talking about going through Chicago, i live in the UP of Michigan. so i have to drive all the way down the state, through Green Bay and down that way.

thanks for all your input everyone, its good to hear what you guys think of these places

Hexis
01-11-2002, 07:45 PM
We didn't have a grill going. We were pretty much in the same spot both days in Oct. Pretty much in the corner of the old camping grounds (speed ball field now) near the far flag station.

RobAGD
01-12-2002, 12:18 AM
I have played at Paintball Sames. Went up witha friend after a tech class in 95 and has a blast.

We did Paintball Daves, Then Fox River and then Bad Landz and had to reschedule our fights because we were having too much fun :)

Fox River was teh first Time I had ever played a 90 vs 90 in a walk on game. That was a blast. It's funny how when there are THAT many players no one runs :)

Well that is until the 3rd game when I found a brush patch around the 50 :) I ran in to that turned around and waited for people to pass me :) Shot 20-25 people before the figured out what I was doing... that was a riot...

-Robert

the JoKeR
01-12-2002, 11:44 PM
PB187- Sorry, buy I'm geographically challenged! Only lived in WI all my life and I still forget about the UP. Thinking of Detroit area for some reason.

-Jôker-
01-13-2002, 12:20 AM
im glad im the original joker =P

paintballer187
01-13-2002, 07:12 PM
the JoKeR--thats alright, lol, thats what i thought you were thinking of is the Detroit area.

the JoKeR
01-14-2002, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by -Jôker-
im glad im the original joker =P

How could that be? I'm older!... Dang, that isn't a good thing.... I'll go cry quietly in the corner, now.:(

-Jôker-
01-14-2002, 08:03 PM
buut i gothere first :p :D

paintballer187
01-14-2002, 08:08 PM
come on both you jokers, there is room for both of you in this forum

Hysperion
01-19-2002, 09:20 AM
dont listen to animal and "the joker" they're just telling you not to come to Dave's tourney because they want to win it :)....don't listen to the evil 2.....If you don't mind driving 4 hours, I think Dave's is alot of fun I've been there about 15 times in the last year.

animal
01-19-2002, 10:23 AM
Well I certainly ain't gonna win it if I play like I did last night! What a terrible day for me :(

the JoKeR
01-19-2002, 11:35 PM
I'll just be happy if we field a team!
My day was acceptable... Got this guy with an Emag once or twice! ;)

ArthurDent
01-21-2002, 01:55 PM
speaking of paintball sams the sams in cali is having a big game next sunday the 27th it looks like alot of people are going to show up too heheh they just had 3000lb of lego and hyperball stuff delivered yehaaa hope to see you guys there

RobAGD
01-22-2002, 10:29 AM
Yea I dont know what the hell I was thinking when I typed that. I was thinking Paintball Daves and type Sams....

I have never really managed to play out west.

-Robert