PDA

View Full Version : Before I buy my first mag...

Argelmcgee
09-04-2007, 07:21 PM
Hello everyone,

This is my first post, but I've lurked over these forums for a while now, as I've been looking to buy a mag. My current gun is a tricked out Tippmann A-5, but after using a teammate's mag for a day at the EMR Apocalypse Now scenario, I've finally made up my mind and decided that I want one of these beauties. The legendary reliability, the proven performance, the good looks... These guns just seem amazing!

So I've examined my options and read everything I could find, but I still have a few questions. Right now I'm trying to decide between a Tac-1 with ULT and the hoses + ASA package OR an RT Pro with a Black Centerfeed ULE body, ULT, and Black Blade Trigger.

Pros for Tac-1: Simpler to buy package, foregrip looks WAY cooler, able to put my red dot sight on (not important).

Cons for Tac-1: ULT costs more, air hoses cost more.

Pros for ULE: Air hose comes with gun, lighter than Tac-1, no worries about ULT or hoses.

Cons for ULE: Weird looking foregrip, needless sight rail and bottom rail that I would take off, can't mount sight.

Just so you guys know, along with whatever choice I get, I'll be getting a Hammerhead Kit (jumping on the bandwagon, I know), a Ricochet 2KX or Apache (actionvillage has a sale, they're both going for around $50) and a neoprene camouflage hopper cover with either hopper.

So there it is, the full kit... Can you guys give your suggestions, and is it possible to switch the RT Pro Foregrip with the Gas-Thru Foregrip if I get the RT-ULE?

Thanks,

Argelmcgee
E-Jam Red Raiders

questionful
09-04-2007, 07:53 PM
The foregrips have ASA threads. I recommend the ULE body instead of the tac body, just because I'm not really into milsim and you said the rails weren't that important to you.

And I think RT Pro's come with bike grips, it's just the picture they have up has the old RT grips.

Thanna
09-04-2007, 08:15 PM
Either will work just as well, the only difference is that whether you want to pay a little more for a tac-body or have a lighter marker to carry around. I personally like the Tac-one for scenario/woodsball. And the nice thing about mags is...If you decide that you want to go with the other body, you can just buy/trade for one and change it out.

If you get a hold of Tunaman, he might be able to set you up with what you want. His site [tunamart] is a bit out of date, so you'll have to email him for pricing on what you're looking for. I got my marker through him and I'm happy about what I got. He is pretty busy, so it might take you a while to receive it though.

Good Luck and Welcome to AO.

mostpeople
09-04-2007, 08:20 PM
I reccomend you buy the parts and build it yourself, so you get exactly what you want.

and hell, go look for the parts you want, and then call AGD im sure they can put it together for ya.

jade_monkey07
09-04-2007, 08:47 PM
I also recommend building it yourself, the b/s/t forums here are great. im currently building 4 guns all for my buddies, all of them thier first mag. 2 rt pro, and 2 tac ones, all with ult. and 2 want me to get adjustable regs for them too.. each want something a little diffirent color wise, diffirent rails, grips. ill have to get a good pic of the lot with mine too.

Spider-TW
09-05-2007, 10:00 AM
Take a look at www.themagsmith.com , there are some options for foregrips/rails.

Don't let the ease of a package decide which marker you put in your hand. As long as your ordering a package, you might as well pick what you want.

I admit I like a sight for scenario play, but I haven't been willing to go to the Tac body to get it built in. I still like the round bodies (ULE and classic).

Compared with a plain ULE body - Ugly sight rail or Ugly body? I dunno.

finnmanpa
09-05-2007, 01:00 PM
Argelmcgee,

I'm glad you enjoyed using my Automag at EMR. (yes, it's me, Finnie)

I too would built it custom, from Tunaman or The Mag Smith. You can be very selective with exactly what you want. Tunaman is not far from us, in NJ I believe.

One thing, I would avoid getting the ULT right away. Build your gun, then play with it. You may find you won't need it. My gun didn't have one when you used it. DaveA has one on his, he'll let you try it for comparison.

If you have any questions you know you can always ask me. I can always help you with building it or maintaining it also. I'll be up at E-Jam 3 for the scenario, see you then.

Jason

LT. on E-Jam Red Raiders

BigEvil
09-05-2007, 02:49 PM
Argelmcgee,

I'm glad you enjoyed using my Automag at EMR. (yes, it's me, Finnie)

I too would built it custom, from Tunaman or The Mag Smith. You can be very selective with exactly what you want. Tunaman is not far from us, in NJ I believe.

One thing, I would avoid getting the ULT right away. Build your gun, then play with it. You may find you won't need it. My gun didn't have one when you used it. DaveA has one on his, he'll let you try it for comparison.

If you have any questions you know you can always ask me. I can always help you with building it or maintaining it also. I'll be up at E-Jam 3 for the scenario, see you then.

Jason

LT. on E-Jam Red Raiders

Oh Jason... much to learn you have. GET THE ULT. !!!!! :dance:

varq
09-05-2007, 05:37 PM
What I found great about my tac one is that after not liking the ULT I bought emag lowers and love it! You can constantly make changes... tons of parts available! I play at ejam3 every now and then... Iv only seen one other mag out there

Argelmcgee
09-05-2007, 06:30 PM
I gotta say though, I absolutely LOVED DaveA's gun though. I shot a good 200 through his gun at NJ Nam, and I gotta say, it was shooting better than yours, and I did have a problem with shortstroking on your gun (though I didn't know what shortstroking was, so I didn't know to pull the trigger all the way back). If the ULT makes it plain easier to shoot (which also makes it faster), I think I'm going to get it. Also, even though I knocked the Tac-1 body a bit before, I realized that I might just want to stick my sight on the gun, because with centerfeed, I won't have any iron sights or anything.

I did look through The Mag Smith and Tunaman's stuff, and I really don't know what I would get different from the options that AGD offers on their website. I think it would just be needless extra effort. I think the Tac-1 is what I'm wanting right now. It may not be as light as the ULE body, but I like the looks and the little ability to stick stuff on.

Honestly though, the differences in either one seem VERY minimal, aside from price and ease of setting it all up. And of course, if I make a real mistake, I can always get the ULE body or whatever it is I want to add after. Right now, I think I want the Tac-1.

Jason, thanks for showing me these great guns. I probably wouldn't have actually been set on buying this if it wasn't for all your help.

djellum
09-05-2007, 10:45 PM
Maybe an RT. Nice snappy reactive trigger is great for woods/scenario. Also with the RT rail you get mounting screw holes and can ULE it. I have a ULE body with RT rail, instead of running the front grip I'm just going to mount a small weaver rail to all 3 sides of the front bracket for accessories. you also get the holes on the side to mount other stuff.

Might be a bit cheaper than the tac and it would be sweet to have an RT

finnmanpa
09-06-2007, 09:36 AM
Oh Jason... much to learn you have. GET THE ULT. !!!!! :dance:

OK Yoda! Actually, I will most likely get the ULT, someday... I think I will shim my tank to up my input pressure and see how that feels first.

Spider-TW
09-06-2007, 12:22 PM
I realized that I might just want to stick my sight on the gun, because with centerfeed, I won't have any iron sights or anything.
That's true, but what's neat is the center feed forces you to sight with both eyes (with a red dot or similar). At night you can hit any shadow you see. Of course you can do that with a look through too, but I mainly use the sight at night.

And of course, if I make a real mistake, I can always get the ULE body or whatever it is I want to add after. Right now, I think I want the Tac-1.
NOW you're getting there! You'll have a box of extra parts in no time :D

Argelmcgee
09-06-2007, 02:57 PM
And this is a "go". It's happening. This'll actually probably get to me before the West Point Big Game, if everything goes well.

babyface
09-06-2007, 03:11 PM
:hail: did some one say west point game! when please pm me, i havent gone in a long time would love to play.

mostpeople
09-06-2007, 03:22 PM
Ahhh a new convert!

Also I agree, ULT is the ONLY way to go. You cant flutter the standard like you can the ULT - you will be happy you went with it.

Remember you dont have to get the tac one mainbody, you can shave some $ off by getting an ULE body. And dont forget about all the custom parts out there, the aftermarket ones. You could get a chimera frame with dallara rail + pariah mainbody and 15* foreward ASA thats one of my favorite configs... and its lighter than my 06 timmy!

either way good luck with your new mag!

Argelmcgee
09-06-2007, 06:06 PM
To be honest though, too light is not a good thing for me. I gotta be able to feel the marker. I've come close to really disliking electric guns that are too light, just because the whole balance is off, the hopper weighs too much, the back tilts because of the air tank... it needs SOME heft.

slasherdan
09-06-2007, 06:07 PM
NOW you're getting there! You'll have a box of extra parts in no time :D

NO KIDDING!!!

Saw a body and rail for cheap on E-bay. Thought they would be a good upgrade/switch with my ULE Classic ...

Got the parts ... looked in my box and saw my spare Intelliframe and X-Valve.

Now have Tac-1 .... for a total cost of $293.

Now I have to figure out what the hell I'm going to do with three Mags, two Tippmanns, a Phantom, and an Illusion ....

And here I was working on selling off my collection.