PDA

View Full Version : Good $30-40 Bourbon?

warbeak2099
09-11-2007, 06:39 PM
I'm a Scotch drinker and I'd like to foray into some other whiskeys. Can anyone suggest a good starter Bourbon? Anything else whisky based that you'd suggest would be appreciated too.

rawbutter
09-11-2007, 07:16 PM
Dewar's (http://www.grandwinecellar.com/sku12479.html) is my favorite mid-level Scotch. It's a staple at most bars, and you can get it at any liquor store.

My favorite ever is Noah's Mill... but you can only get it online... or in Kentucky.

drg
09-11-2007, 07:57 PM
I like Wild Turkey (101 and up the line from there).
Bonus is it doesn't cost $30+ (well until you hit reserve and rare breed and such)

MoeMag
09-11-2007, 11:00 PM
I think JD Single barrel is some pretty good stuff, maybe I have never had something really nice, but thats about as close as I think I have gotten to what I think a drink should be like. Then my roommate and his dad really like knob creek. IDK I dont like the flavor of it.

warbeak2099
09-11-2007, 11:25 PM
Dewar's (http://www.grandwinecellar.com/sku12479.html) is my favorite mid-level Scotch. It's a staple at most bars, and you can get it at any liquor store.

My favorite ever is Noah's Mill... but you can only get it online... or in Kentucky.

Yea I'm a Dewar's fan too. IMO White label is much smoother than Johnny Walker Black and less money. Dewar's 12yo is also the same price as JW Black and much better imo. Of course, nothing beats a single malt but I'm a college student lol.

Thanks for the suggestions btw. I'll look into the Bourbons you guys suggested.

gimp
09-12-2007, 08:16 AM
My favorite bourbon is 'Bookers Bourbon'. It costs about 36 bucks in New Hampshire, but it's like 55 out here in Washington. It's made by the Jim Beam family. I'm a fan of all the Jim Beam bourbons. And don't forget, Jack Daniels isn't bourbon.

warbeak2099
09-12-2007, 10:38 AM
My favorite bourbon is 'Bookers Bourbon'. It costs about 36 bucks in New Hampshire, but it's like 55 out here in Washington. It's made by the Jim Beam family. I'm a fan of all the Jim Beam bourbons. And don't forget, Jack Daniels isn't bourbon.

Yea I was confused by the JD suggestion. I didn't think they made bourbon.

MoeMag
09-12-2007, 01:42 PM
Yea I was confused by the JD suggestion. I didn't think they made bourbon.

Anything else whisky based that you'd suggest would be appreciated too.

?

rmg
09-12-2007, 02:36 PM
Makers Mark.

93civiccpe
09-12-2007, 02:48 PM
in their defenese, he did say "any other whiskey.."

When I read that, the Irish blood in me screams to suggest some Jameson. If you are drinking Scotch, it's about time you cross over to some good 'ol Irish Whiskey. I'm a fan of Scotch, Bourban, and Irish Whiskeys... if you are primarily a Scotch drinker, Irish whiskey will be an easy addition. I find that they are similar in taste. Good Bourbon has it's place though.. good stuff.

warbeak2099
09-12-2007, 02:55 PM
?

Oops lol, I caught that. I forgot I even posted that.

And yes, I've thought about trying Irish whiskeys. Anything other than Jameson you could suggest? It's a bit pricey where I am.

CKY_Alliance
09-12-2007, 03:15 PM
Makers Mark.

Makers mark isn't bad, I can stomach that over JD anyday...

Always get a little canadian whisky, crown is always good.

MagMan5446
09-16-2007, 05:05 PM
Ancient age. real great stuff.

93civiccpe
09-17-2007, 12:09 PM
Oops lol, I caught that. I forgot I even posted that.

And yes, I've thought about trying Irish whiskeys. Anything other than Jameson you could suggest? It's a bit pricey where I am.

I definitely understand about Jameson.. good stuff but it is a bit pricey. (Just a fun note that most don't know, that company was actually started by a Scottish man named John Jameson who actually made Scotch whiskey for a long time before getting into the Irish Whiskey Distilling business.)

Anyways, anything from the big 3 irish distilleries are usually okay... Bushmills, Cooley, or Midleton. Bushmills single malt is actually a really smooth whiskey for the cost. It is one of the better choices in my opinion when it comes to the lower priced irish whiskeys. Locke's single malt is not bad either.

If you want to try one of the blended irish whiskeys, I like Kilbeggan. Millars is also okay.

You'll find with Irish whiskeys they all have a slightly different taste, very much like scotch. You definitely should try out some of the above.

Now, just a quick note for those (like myself) who happen to like the irish cream whiskeys like Bailey's. Do yourself a big favor and try out the other Irish Cream Whiskeys which tend to be a good bit cheaper and yet are still awesome over ice. They are basically different irish whiskey blends mixed with irish cream. To be honest, Bailey's is overwhelmingly the most popular because of all the advertising. Most people don't know that you can save $10 on the same size bottle by going with Carolans, which tastes almost identical to Bailey's. (I prefer Carolans actually). Due to the popularity of Bailey's, the price has gotten way too high.. check out some of the other blends such as Ryan's Cream, Carolans, Emmets, or Knickers (which is a little pricey but my favorite).

Anyways, I hope the above might be helpful to some of you. Have fun trying out new drinks but please do remember to be responsible!

**Edit: forgot to add this and forgot no one had mentioned it. Typically, Scotch Whiskeys are distilled twice, Bourbons are distilled once, and Irish Whiskey's are triple-distilled. The more times you distill it, typically the smoother the whiskey. All three of the above have different tastes due to the starting ingredients, but the first thing I noticed when going to Scotches and Bourbon's was the increased heat & bite.

SummaryJudgement
09-17-2007, 04:27 PM

:headbang: :clap: :hail:

Bookers is one of the best ou can get IMO! It is individually barrel brewed and aged, so the alcohol content changes barrel to barrel and they print individual labels for the different batches. I've had bottles as high as 145 proof. That's over %70 alcohol guys. And it's smooth as can be!

It's made by the same Jim Beam side line as Makers and Knob Creek.

:cheers:

ClassicMagger
09-17-2007, 09:46 PM
Woodford Reserve is a nice mid level bourbon that I like.

-In my opinion it is MUCH smoother than most Jack's and other liquors in its pricerange.

-ClassicMagger

CharlieD
09-17-2007, 10:07 PM
I've had my fair share of jim bean and for the price it's not bad. bookers is great i agree. never been a fan of marker mark. knob creek is good. here's a site that lists some interesting ones many i've never heard of. will have to take note and fish them out

http://bluekitchen.net/bourbonselect.html.

CharlieD
09-17-2007, 10:08 PM
hey- i read the threads closer and i'm surprised that so many are made by jim beam. interesting! :cheers:

WaffleBaron
09-17-2007, 11:59 PM
Wish I could afford the better stuff like Makers, Bookers, Woodford, etc., but not at the rate I finish bottles. In a pinch I just grab Evan Williams for mixing, sometimes straight but not often. Jameson's I prefer over Bushmill's any day, but Powers can be good too.

Yudanja
09-18-2007, 09:20 AM
My pick is woodford reserve. I love that stuff.

gimp
09-18-2007, 12:12 PM
+1 on the Woodford Reserve. That stuff is pretty good too.

Raven001
09-19-2007, 11:37 AM
You want good or cheap? If it's cheap, I bought some Old Grandad while I was down stateside some time back. God that stuff was nasty. :tard: Lasted for over three years....

Thordic
10-02-2007, 09:11 AM
You say you are a scotch drinker, and then you talk about Dewars and JW Black? :tard:

You can't be cheap with scotch. Spend $50-90 a bottle. Its well worth it.

As for bourbon, I like Makers Mark, Knob Creek, and Woodford. Never had Bookers, I'll have to check it out.

Rudz
10-02-2007, 09:18 AM
always been a JD guy, with coke or on the rocks, kicks me in the butt every so often but we get along pretty good

punkncat
10-02-2007, 09:24 AM
For the price I like Knob Creek.

warbeak2099
10-02-2007, 10:57 AM
You say you are a scotch drinker, and then you talk about Dewars and JW Black? :tard:

You can't be cheap with scotch. Spend $50-90 a bottle. Its well worth it.

As for bourbon, I like Makers Mark, Knob Creek, and Woodford. Never had Bookers, I'll have to check it out.

Let me say again, COLLEGE STUDENT lol.

When I go home I'll drink Glenfiddich single malt with my father, but hey, he's buying it not me! If I'm the one paying, i really can't afford anything more than $35-40 a bottle.

And I am really interested now in trying an Irish whiskey now. I had Maker's Mark over the weekend and was very impressed. Very full bodied flavor and not too harsh either, relatively smooth.

Thordic
10-02-2007, 02:28 PM
Irish Whiskey is easy, as even the high-end stuff doesn't get that pricy.

Bushmills 10 Year Single Malt is fairly good.

Redbreast my friend swears by. Its definitely good but my favorite is...

Knappogue Castle. Excellent single malt irish whiskey, nice and smooth with a slight apple finish.

You can't go wrong with Jameson or Tullamore Dew if all you are looking for is to cause a ruckus, though.

warbeak2099
10-02-2007, 05:14 PM
Irish Whiskey is easy, as even the high-end stuff doesn't get that pricy.

Bushmills 10 Year Single Malt is fairly good.

Redbreast my friend swears by. Its definitely good but my favorite is...

Knappogue Castle. Excellent single malt irish whiskey, nice and smooth with a slight apple finish.

You can't go wrong with Jameson or Tullamore Dew if all you are looking for is to cause a ruckus, though.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see if any of the joints around here carry any of those. I know they have Jameson. I'll finish my bottle of JD #7 before I get a bottle of Jameson though. JD is... good for mixing I guess lol.

hipster
10-04-2007, 06:43 PM
woodford reserve

ta2maki
10-05-2007, 02:30 AM
always been a JD guy, with coke or on the rocks, kicks me in the butt every so often but we get along pretty good

You should try Maker's Mark and coke. WOW! I was a jack and coke guy, but tried with maker's mark and switched. So much smoother.