PDA

View Full Version : My new Freak Tip...

druid
09-11-2007, 10:16 PM
Well, I contracted a guy to create a new tip for my Mag. The Mag is standard s/s and has a chrome Freak Back for now...perhaps I can remove the chrome with a wire wheel from my dremel. The tip he made for me is brushed/raw aluminum, is 2.5" long (extends 2.5" out the front of the Back), has spiral porting and a 'muzzle break.'

He made a few others in black (one incher's) that have the porting but not the muzzle break. I bought one of those too but that one's for my Ion.

They were shipped today Priority and should (hopefully) be here by Thursday...Friday at the latest.

Here are the pics he sent me...I'm excited ...:dance:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/druidsdecendant/Paintball/9f7cec36.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/druidsdecendant/Paintball/084622eb.jpg

shorty24
09-11-2007, 10:19 PM
Lookin good! ...VERY good!

MANN
09-11-2007, 10:22 PM
soooooo where can we get one?

mr doo doo
09-11-2007, 10:25 PM
pretty cool.

druid
09-11-2007, 10:41 PM
thanks.

I was waiting to get the tip and take better pics and post a review. At that time, I was going to put the guy's email address up so other's could partake in his machine shop goodness...lol.

If you want to wait a few days, I'll make that 'proper' review.

The background on him is this...

I'm a member of several forums...including the Smart Corps Forum. He made a post where he said he works in a machine shop but got hours cut back and is doing odd jobs to supplement his income. His screen name on the forum is jcurt454.

After a few PM conversations with him, I decided to give him a shot and submitted my plans for this tip. According to the supplied pics, he's accomplished what I wanted. Now I'm waiting for the tips to arrive.

If you reaaaaaaaaaaally want the his info, his EBAY name is jcurt455. Under that name, he has listed the 1" Freak tips he has previously made.

I will still post a proper review of the tips and will amend my first post here...but if they are 1/2 as sexxy as the pics detail, I'm already happy for the REASONABLE price it cost me...

Anjin3515
09-11-2007, 11:20 PM
Very cool looking.

Ruler_Mark
09-11-2007, 11:31 PM
i got one of the 1in'ers off of ebay, load as anything and the inside is not smoothed out.

druid
09-11-2007, 11:51 PM
R.M. I understand what you are saying...but I also tend to think that polishing is a simple process normally handled by the annodizer...not typically the 'prodcer' - but I guess I could be wrong...idk, we'll see.

I'll keep an eye on that and make a note of what I find when they arrive...thanks for the head's up.

As far as the shorter tip being "loud"....awesome!...that's exactly what I'm looking for...lol. This isn't going to be my woodsball/scenario tip...this is going to be the "scaring the crap out of you in CQB" tip........lol.....

Warwitch
09-12-2007, 06:20 AM
Looks awesome! Got a link?

edit: from what I have found, less than half of ano places do polishing :confused:

druid
09-12-2007, 11:38 AM
Here's the link to the Smart Corps Furum, His email is posted in there so I guess it's ok to post publicly here...it's [email protected]

http://smartcorps.smartparts.com/forum/showthread.htm?t=1023

Warwitch
09-12-2007, 12:31 PM
Here's the link to the Smart Corps Furum, His email is posted in there so I guess it's ok to post publicly here...it's [email protected]

http://smartcorps.smartparts.com/forum/showthread.htm?t=1023

Hmm, I was hoping he would have a web or some pics of his work. That tip looks great though.

Ruler_Mark
09-12-2007, 02:52 PM
well mine was one of the dust anno'd ones from him, im sending it in edventually to get a gloss annoa nd ill ask them to polish the inside aswell. HOWEVER i did not see a different in accuracy. BUT it did curve near the end of the trajectory And toook alot higher pressure and was very inefficent.

druid
09-12-2007, 09:57 PM
Hmm, I was hoping he would have a web or some pics of his work. That tip looks great though.

No, I don't think he has a website. As I said earlier, he's just a machinist...that happens to play paintball...that got his hours cut and is looking for extra cash as a supplement.

well mine was one of the dust anno'd ones from him, im sending it in edventually to get a gloss annoa nd ill ask them to polish the inside aswell. HOWEVER i did not see a different in accuracy. BUT it did curve near the end of the trajectory And toook alot higher pressure and was very inefficent.

Hrm....does it look maybe like the dust anno got inside at all? If that's the case, the dust finish should polish out with a little work...idk...I'll have to wait and see what mine look like.

As far as ball curving and accuracy go...an unnaturally shorter barrel is going to do that (at least, that's what I've noticed in the past). I have the plain, silver AGD shorty barrel for mine and it does the same thing with trajectory and 'wingers'. I can't agree about the higher pressure though because I've not experienced that particular issue. From all my experiences with all my mid-to-low end markers, I tend to believe that the optimum barrel length for any of them is right around 10-12" and so long as the paint-to-bore match is correct. The only exception that I can attest to is my Stage 5 Ion...I have a 14" Freak back/AA tip that is actually the most accurate barrel/combination I've ever shot on it (of the 5 different barrels I've tried). These particular tips aren't for "normal" distance balling though...these are for CQB on our renegade field and shoot-house (old warehouse) where engagement areas are less than 30 yards away.

Ruler_Mark
09-13-2007, 06:42 PM
Sounds cool, mabey youshould talk him into making backs like the WWA stump's and tips that make a 8 or9 in barrel.That i would like to buy :)

druid
09-14-2007, 01:12 AM
Sounds cool, mabey youshould talk him into making backs like the WWA stump's and tips that make a 8 or9 in barrel.That i would like to buy :)

His email's up there...see if he will make one for you. I don't know if he has the specs for the twistlock barrel...but I'm sure if you send him one, he can duplicate it for you...

druid
09-15-2007, 08:07 PM
I wrote this 'general' review in this format because I did it in Word and other forums have separated sections for such articles.

Custom Made Freak Barrel Tips – My Review

Rating is scored 0-5. A “0” represents the lowest opinion or quality; A “5” represents the highest possible quality or standard.

There is this member of the Smart Corps Forum who goes by the name of jcurt454, who is a machinist by trade. He’s offering his vocational services to supplement his income. He has an EBay name of jcurt455 and sold several 1” Freak-styled tips he made. He also appears to have good feedback there so we talked about him creating a tip to my particular specifications. His email address is [email protected] and communication was excellent - and my barrel tips were here within a week.

Shipping/packaging: Rating 5

Like I said, he had to create one from scratch but I also got one that already existed. I had both parts within 6 days from initial conversation.
Barrels were well wrapped and separated from each other in the package.

Tip #1 was the one’s he’d previously made. The length is 1” and was anodized dust black.
Tip #2 was the one I had created. It is raw and unpolished.

Craftsmanship, Tip #1:

My first impression is that the piece is very well made. Other than the ones that appear below the threads (to the right of them in the pic) here are no visible tool marks or even the slightest hint of mistakes or errors. These are purely cosmetic and will not affect performance. Rating 4

Porting was done in a tasteful manner and the holes appear to be proportionately spaced. The porting on the barrel bore is perfect…there are no burrs inside the bore. Rating 5

There is a groove for a barrel O Ring. None was supplied but I knew this in advance. The lines are even, clean and square. Rating 4 for lack of the O Ring.

Threading for the Freak back appears to be well cut, since there is no presence of burrs or any other obstruction in the threads. Rating 5

Finish:

The piece arrived anodized dust black but upon inspection, it appears that the anodizer failed to polish out the bore. Other than this fact, the finish is consistent and even all the way around the exterior. Rating 5

Performance: Performance will be tested on Sunday 16 Sept 07
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

Tip #2 was the one I had created. It came with a raw finish, the tip is 2 ½” long and the milling is exactly as I requested. The edges of the muzzle break are well cut and there were no burrs, sharp edges or any other visible errors. Rating 5

The porting behind the muzzle break is identical to the 1” models he previously made but spaced farther apart because of the extended length. There are no burrs inside the bore. Rating 5

The threading was again perfect…however this tip does not come with a barrel O Ring, nor is a channel cut for it. I did not include the channel for an O Ring in my schematics and no O Ring would be supplied. Again, I already knew this. Rating 5

Since this is a ‘raw’ tip, it also came with an unpolished bore because I will have it finished and anodized by a different person. Rating 5

Performance: Performance will be tested on Sunday 16 Sept 07

Pictures: I have s ****ty camera and had to 'enhance' some pics in my photoshop. Forgive the quality.

Tip #1 - 1" Freak tip threaded section. Note the tool marks right of the threads:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/druidsdecendant/Paintball/1adb5d2b.jpg

Pocket for the Freak insert:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/druidsdecendant/Paintball/0339ab11.jpg

Muzzle area:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/druidsdecendant/Paintball/624bd1c5.jpg

Profile:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/druidsdecendant/Paintball/0863eb1c.jpg

Tip #2 - 2.5" Tip attatched to the Freak Back. I asked him to make it a little thicker that the blackened model so it better matched the Freak back. He did that and even though it's a bit thicker than the back, I think it looks alot better than the thinner walled (Black) version:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/druidsdecendant/Paintball/775f544c.jpg

druid
09-15-2007, 08:08 PM
BARREL UNDER REVIEW: _____Custom Cut Freak Tips_______
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++

Environmental Conditions

Temperature: ___67*____*F Humidity: __49___%

Wind Speed: ___>3____Mph Wind Gusts: ___0___Mph

Weather Conditions: _____Clear and sunny_______ Clear/Rain/Snow

Paint Information

Date of Purchase: __9___/__1___/__07___

Brand: _____________PMI Premium_________________

Paintball Size: ________.689 as determined by Freak Insert____________

Marker Setup Information

Velocity: ____279_____FPS is the Average of 5 shots

Make: _________AGD___________ Model: _________68 Classic Automag____________

Air Source: _____88/45 HPA__________

Regulated: ___Bottle reg only_____
(If yes please specify manufacturer: ________GuerrillaAir FUKU reg. Median output ~750 psi_______________)

Modifications List: (List any and all upgrades or modifications installed at time of use below)

CO2 5-hole Bolt mod
ACI 8 stage Subzero Expansion chamber
Freak Kit
Warp Feed
APP 350 round gravity hopper
S/S Freak back, Tip 1 = 1" Black anno'd tip; Tip 2 = 2.5" Raw Tip

User Evaluation
Please write a brief description of how the barrel worked for you on this date:
(Overall performance, accurately hit target, paint breaks, ECT.)

Games played - Renegade woodsball. Players present = 12.

Tip #1 - Excellent Tip. Chronographing required a ~14 fps decrease in velocity after test with 14" AA tip. (meaning, the 1" tip registered 14 fps faster than the 14" Freak, requiring me to velocity-down the marker).

After chrono, target practice on a tree 4" in diameter and 30 feet distant. Of 20 balls fired, 16 impacted the tree within 4" (vertical impacts) of all other inpacts. 2 were 'wingers' and 2 were my fault/improper aim.

During play - At least as accurate as the AA front (14" total). The shortness of the barrel makes it definately more maneuverable in thick brush. The down side is, I could not poke the barrel through brush very well and had to be "more exposed" than I like to be.

Total balls fired...approx 500 for this tip over the course of the day.

Tip #2 - (Raw tip, 2/5" long)
Excellent tip. Chronographing remained a constant between this and Tip #1.

After chrono, target practice on the same tree at the same distance. 20 balls at 30 feet, 15 impacts within a 6" vertical area of all other impacts. This tip seemed to create more "lift" in the paint, causing impacts at a slightly higher elevation using the same aim point - as if it were reacting like a Tippmann "Flatline" barrel. This could be from the extra 1.5 inches over Tip #1, or the presence of the "muzzle break...or possibly both. The 5 "missed" shots were "wingers" that curved withing 5' of the tree but then, it only missed the tree by a few inches at best. This could be the paint, it could have been the very slight breeze in the treeline. I'm unsure of the exact "reason" but I highly doubt it was the barrel's fault. If 15 can make a 6" spot, there's no reason to believe the other 5 couldn't have also.

During play - Again, slight "lofting" of the paint cause me to have to constantly readjust my aim to a lower aim point. However, out to 75/100 feet, this barrel tip performed as accurate as my 14" as compared. Again, the shortness of this tip made it impossible to "poke through" brush and caused me to be more out in the "open" than I like to be.

Total balls fired...approx 500 for this tip over the course of the day.

Starting air in 88/45 was a "needle shy of" 4,000 psi. Ending pressure was 2000 psi for the day. About 500 balls were put through each barrel tip. I ended up switching to my 14" Freak tip...solely for the reason of poling through brush...but that's the only reason. Had the engagement area been closer, or less dense with thick brush, I would have kept the shorter tips on longer throughout the day.

Overall, I'm very inpressed with both tips. Definately recommended for the Close-Quarters Battle type of game...or at least, with thinner-to-no brush fields. I'm definately glad I got the 2 of them.

Overall rating for the day:
Tip 1 - 9/10 - losing one "point" for the inability to push through brush/pallet bunkers.
Tip 2 - 9/10 - losing one "point" for the inability to push through brush/pallet bunkers.
I did not deduct any points for the "lofting" affect. To some, this may actually be a "+" benefit and I recognize that fact.

House of Daggers
09-16-2007, 06:11 PM
I have a short black one and I have to say. It is every bit as accurate as the stock Freak jr. front. I could put ball on ball almost every time (might have been all the time if the paint wasn't so crappy but it was FPO). I measured the whole back and front and its just over 7".

Heres a pic of mine.
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/9715/freaktipeu4.jpg

druid
09-16-2007, 07:58 PM
Evaluation updated in post #17.

maniacmechanic
09-17-2007, 04:34 AM
Druid good review , I just got a WWA tip for my freak ,I didn't go all scientific but I thought it shot great , at about 40 feet it hit the 6"(?) pine tree every time , what I really liked was the field we were playing was really loaded up with vines (south fla) & i never got my barrell stuck in them

druid
09-17-2007, 03:42 PM
Druid good review , I just got a WWA tip for my freak ,I didn't go all scientific but I thought it shot great , at about 40 feet it hit the 6"(?) pine tree every time , what I really liked was the field we were playing was really loaded up with vines (south fla) & i never got my barrell stuck in them

Thank you and congrats on your WWA tip.

When testing/reviewing a product, I always try to be as unbiased and thorough as possible and the particular "template" I used is from the SpecOps review section. From all the reviews I've ever seen, this template seems to represent the best format for making a review like this. I am by NO means a scientist but having many years experience with paint-slingers, I've learned how things tend to behave under certain conditions and a review in this manner tends to "leave no stone unturned." Sometimes people like to argue "it's because of this..." or "do you think it was because of that?..." or 50 questions that are already answered in the review up there...lol. Stuff like "what paint did you use?..." and "humidity/weather conditions?..." always seem to crop up when someone makes a quick and general review.

The more info we give on a product, the better others understand it's place in the product line world.