PDA

View Full Version : Who has a kegerator?

rkjunior303
09-12-2007, 03:17 PM
OK - so my parents just gave me a mini-fridge for the new apartment. We originally were going to use it as a beer fridge but I got the idea of making a kegerator. Most of the kits include the fridge -- how hard would it be to convert this? I already own two manual keg taps (can they be converted?). I figure I would need an air source, etc..

Talk to me!

Will Wood
09-12-2007, 03:28 PM
I don't drink anymore, but my theory always was ... If you're getting a keg, chances are it's going to be gone before it's cold. And IMO they don't taste good after a couple days.
I always thought about building one, but figured it would never get proper use :)

I can't recall any of the places I got info ... but you talking about a full keg or pony keg? The pony keg might fit in your fridge if it's big enough?
Other-wise you'd have to just make your own insulated box and slap the refrigerator part on. Just time consuming, and a little bit of diy projects knowledge. I think that's what most places had for a setup.

rkjunior303
09-12-2007, 03:39 PM
pony keg.

god help us if we had a normal keg.. honestly, it would be cheaper than stocking 30pks... it's just an idea - if it's too much hassle, i'll settle for just filling the fridge with beer.

devildog
09-12-2007, 03:42 PM
i built a couple for myself and friends. got a full size fridge from the dump, got it working. Setup a co2 system to keep pressure and put the tap right on the front door. Pull a frozen mug out of the freezer and poor some nice cold beer :D stays good for a LONG time.

Will Wood
09-12-2007, 03:47 PM
Not sure if you can rig it with paintball gear, but I think the conversion kits to Co2 are pricey. Just google conversion kit.
Other than setting up the Co2 all you have to do is cut and hack and seal the fridge. Or again, make your own box and put in the refridgerator. But that would be a PITA. So unless it fits in the minifridge without too much destruction, I'd say go for the 30 packs. (And if you're really hurting on the $$ get steel reserve!)

I don't know if I was always doing something wrong, but whenever we got kegs somehow we always managed to have to deal with too much foam.

Muzikman
09-12-2007, 03:52 PM
I bet even a pony keg will not fit. The problem is the compressor is in the bottom in the back. So you end up with a ledge. Most kegs are too tall (with hose hookup) to fit on top of the ledge and they are too round to fit infront of the ledge. Take a look, you'll see what I mean.

My father unded up with a $500 full sized refigerator and a laydown freezer for his storage and lagaring.

As for CO2 tap setup, they are not all that much (cheaper than their paintball counterparts).

rkjunior303
09-12-2007, 03:56 PM
I didn't even think of the compressor. Now that I think of it, you're right. There is definitely a ledge where the freezer is. Oh well. 30packs it is.

AirAssault
09-12-2007, 04:22 PM
Don't give up so easily lol. I had one in college and it is VERY nice to have, plus the ladies likey!! Pick up an old used fridge, I got one for free. Look on craigs list you can get one for nothing. I picked up the rest from a place there in my home town. Grabbed one of the CO2 conisters from work (back when Pizza Hut still used co2) and away we went. The tap, tubing and co2 hookup was all one "kit" which cost $115. So had a working Kegerator for that price. Now you will have to pick up a tank but that shouldn't be very pricey. So I would say for under $200 you could have a working Keg-o-rator :D and a nice tap beer any time you want. My .02
:cheers:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Standard-Kegerator-Kit-for-Keg-Draft-Beer-5lb-Co2-Tank_W0QQitemZ300149071152QQihZ020QQcategoryZ53189 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There ya go, now pick up a free or very low priced fridge and you're golden.

rkjunior303
09-12-2007, 04:31 PM
I'm going to measure the fridge once I get home. It COULD fit a pony keg - it's a rather large mini fridge..

How long does the CO2 last? Are they the same CO2 fills that I could get through my field (for free)

robnix
09-12-2007, 04:39 PM
I'm going to measure the fridge once I get home. It COULD fit a pony keg - it's a rather large mini fridge..

How long does the CO2 last? Are they the same CO2 fills that I could get through my field (for free)

http://www.rayfes.com/me/kegerator/kegerator.php

Excellent instructions and tips.

devildog
09-12-2007, 07:31 PM
the co2 will last a very long time

WaffleBaron
09-12-2007, 09:27 PM
Bought my stuff from these guys: http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/conversion-kits.shtml

I use a chest freezer and temp controller so I can fit a full 1/2bbl and 2 corny's. I went lazy and just grabbed cobraheads (the little black plastic party ones) to dispense since I also use it for family functions, etc. No cutting needed that way either, but htey may leak if you leave em in the fridge.

NoLifeLeft
09-12-2007, 11:11 PM
And IMO they don't taste good after a couple days.

You were probibly using the manual hand pump tap. They force air into the keg which is oxygen rich. CO2 setups keep the beer oxygen free and fresh. ;)

I homebrew and have setup a two-tap system for myself and a three-tapper for a friend.

Kegging rules. :cheers:

I got most of my stuff from www.morebeer.com they are a pretty complete beer and wine homebrew supply. And they have all of the stuff to make a keg system for commercial kegs too.

MoeMag
09-12-2007, 11:19 PM
I had guys come in the shop to fill kegerator co2's all the time. 5 and 10 pound co2 tanks. same stuff, same hook ups. Then if you have a co2 fill stations... you have beer and a fill station... that is if you still live in the dark ages with co2 tanks.

rkjunior303
09-13-2007, 07:53 AM
well, i can get my fills done at the field that sponsors us. they ALWAYS get more bulk tanks than needed every week so filling up a bottle every few weeks probably would be no big deal.

Muzikman
09-13-2007, 08:57 AM
Even with a 5lb tank, if you have to fill it every few weeks, you are drinking A LOT of beer. :) So it sounds like you got the fill taken care of.

Muzikman
09-13-2007, 08:59 AM
Or, you can do what Bofh did, Coke machine kegerator!

rkjunior303
09-13-2007, 09:00 AM
Even with a 5lb tank, if you have to fill it every few weeks, you are drinking A LOT of beer. :) So it sounds like you got the fill taken care of.

that's what i'm afraid of.. LOL. It IS possible to be drinking TOO much when you're at home. alone.

We'll see. If the fridge is too small, I think it's a blessing in disguise. lol Although, there are 3 free Fridges of various sorts on Craigslist right now.

Rudz
09-13-2007, 06:51 PM
looks at mini fridge just sitting in the corner.... :wow:

ok thanks guys, now i just figured out how im getting the kegerator i wanted!!!! :headbang:

:cheers: