PDA

View Full Version : Twist-Lock Barrel Woes

RehKal
09-15-2007, 09:55 PM
I just got to play with my minimag today since getting the freak twist lock barrel. The nubin didn't seem able to work properly. I had what amounts to a paintball shotgun, the Q-Loader would feed 3 to 4 balls into the barrel between each shot. Until they got stuck in the barrel insert basically.

Is this a known problem with the wire nubins? (it ended up shearing off anyway somehow)
I now have a plastic nubin in the barrel but have not tested it.

Does anyone know of someone that can/will mill a twist lock barrel for dual nubins?

wetwrks
09-15-2007, 11:12 PM
Not uncommon with the wire nubbins. The plastic one should take care of it.

pablo4429
09-16-2007, 12:49 AM
not to jack the thread but how do you like the q loader, i am strongly considering one but i want to know the pros and cons
thanks

RehKal
09-16-2007, 03:26 PM
not to jack the thread but how do you like the q loader, i am strongly considering one but i want to know the pros and cons
thanks

I love it. You have to be careful with how you set it up. For instance, you have to preload the feed tube otherwise it -will- break a ball or two when you put a qpod on the marker. Don't try to refill a half used pod either. Not having to worry about batteries however is wonderful. As is removing the top profile of the marker. Some would say the warp feed does that.. but it only really moves it to the bottom of the marker. That and batteries for the warp -and- hopper? I'm doing my best to avoid batteries. :>

If you do get one. I highly recommend the custom mounting system. It allows you to put the qpods anywhere you want.

Simple Breakdown.

Pros: Mount anywhere. No batteries. Effectively one piece mounted to your gun. (Qpod + bracket)

Cons: Sensitive, meaning that you have to preload the feed tube. Only 100 rounds per qpod.

Overall: It's a great system and easy to use once you learn how. Plus it is lighter and smaller (much smaller) than a warp feed + plus hopper of choice.

Thanna
09-16-2007, 03:33 PM
Another con is that It take time and a lot of adjustments to get it to work right at first. It took me a while to get it the way I like it. But it's a good system for what it does. :)

RehKal
09-16-2007, 09:42 PM
Another con is that It take time and a lot of adjustments to get it to work right at first. It took me a while to get it the way I like it. But it's a good system for what it does. :)

Just the time it takes to decide where you want to place it really. The qpods come prewound so you don't have to worry about that. Unless one comes unsprung (which can happen when you take them apart to clean)

Oh yea. that's another con. If paint breaks inside. They aren't the most fun to clean.

pablo4429
09-17-2007, 01:43 AM
sweet man thanks for the info what kind of paint do you use, i mena pretty hard shell only or does it handle soft ok
i think im gonna try it out when i make my mag

Tao
09-17-2007, 06:14 AM
I had the same problem with a double detent RT barrel (wire detents) with the Pulse loader. A couple times it would feed a stream of balls clean out the end of the barrel!! :eek:

It went most of the day with no problem though.

athomas
09-17-2007, 09:43 AM
The biggest problem with aftermarket twistlock barrels is the lack of tolerance during manufacturing. Most issues cause the nubbins to not protrude far enough into the barrel to adequately stop the balls from being pushed forward by a force fed loader. You can fix the problem by wrapping tape around the barrel so that it pushes on the little knob on the back of the nubbin. This will push the nubbin farther into the barrel and will provide more of a detent to prevent the balls from moving forward unless pushed by the bolt.

cerrik
09-19-2007, 02:56 PM
I have used electrical tape on one of my twist lock barrels too. In fact, I don't even use the O-rings, just the tape. It holds my nubbin and pushes it into the barrel, and also keeps my barrel from wobbling or slipping. Its a tight push or pull. So it works for me; it is actually easier to push in than a barrel with o-rings.

RehKal
09-19-2007, 06:08 PM
I have used electrical tape on one of my twist lock barrels too. In fact, I don't even use the O-rings, just the tape. It holds my nubbin and pushes it into the barrel, and also keeps my barrel from wobbling or slipping. Its a tight push or pull. So it works for me; it is actually easier to push in than a barrel with o-rings.

a little oil or light grease on yhe orings/tape makes twist lock barrels really easy to put in/take off. same thing with freak barrel orings too I might add.