PDA

View Full Version : Inflatable or built up plywood obstacles?

jbg00d
09-20-2007, 08:06 PM
hey folks.

I'm helping to put a new 20,000 :wow: square foot indoor paintball field together and I'm interested in your input.

Now, I've never played on a filed that uses the inflatable bunkers and was wondering what your preference is.

Also, This field will have two decks, an upper and a lower. The upper will be more the video game hall ways with bunkers inset into the walls. There will be no stairs just ramps for access so it should be very cool. :headbang:

Any suggestions, comments and or wishes(paintball fields would have), by all means, post them here. We need all the help we can get.:rofl:

TwilightG
09-20-2007, 08:24 PM
:wow:

Please tell me that you're located in New England!
*edit: nevermind.. just saw your other post. It's just a little too far away for me :p

Personally, I've always preferred hard bunkers. Some indoor places use "plastic tubes" for bunkers. I don't know how else to describe them... they're big and black and usually cut in half.

I think the inflatables require a bit more upkeep and just don't really care for them.

Just my 2cents :argh:

OneUp
09-20-2007, 08:56 PM
i like solid bunkers.

but i'm probably too far and busy to be your customer enough to make my input matter.

Lomarandil
09-20-2007, 10:11 PM
One thing to think about with ramps, is that with paint on them, they can get very slippery.. could be an issue.

I'm partial to hard bunkers, for the ease of maintence mostly.. the Hyperball tubes are great in general.. But whatever you use, make sure it won't get too loud in there with guys hammering out paint.. if you were to use certain materials (tin sheeting, etc), I could imagine that getting VERY loud.

Lo

CKY_Alliance
09-20-2007, 10:16 PM
Xball field, if your going to be a speedball field that is what people will want to see.

Oh and for netting check out the white nets, I've heard they make a huge difference in lighting and they make for a better background to see paint.

kruger
09-20-2007, 10:39 PM
for safety on the ramps, nail down thin strips, then put that non-skid between them. That way, if they do get wet, then you still have traction. Also, I am partial to hard bunkers. Build them good the first time, and you wont have to build them again. Also, you wont have to patch them when they leak.

Anjin3515
09-20-2007, 10:39 PM
If its a speedball/x-ball field go inflatable...
If its an indoor close quarter/ milsim type of field go with solid bunkers.

Papa_Smurf
09-20-2007, 10:41 PM
I have some scars from bunkers...55 gallon drum with tetanus written all over it jumped out into my way...

thats another sermon...

remember you can customize bunkers if you build them, if you whip them out and blow them up, you cant. And the wooden ones take care of themselves.

jbg00d
09-20-2007, 11:46 PM
Oh, you guys are great. I really appreciate all the idea's. please keep them coming!

Thanks guys.

Anjin3515
09-20-2007, 11:52 PM
Oh, you guys are great. I really appreciate all the idea's. please keep them coming!

Thanks guys.

I think it would help us help you if you told us the "market" you are after...speedball, milsim/woodsball......that way we would better know what to think about.

Thanna
09-21-2007, 12:47 AM
If you do a mix, you can have interchangeable :) layouts? I don't know if that's feasible, but it is a thought.

trevorjk
09-21-2007, 03:13 AM
just PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE remember field maintenance IE: Cleaning. if the field is dirty as all hell ill find a new place to play. so with that said i say bunkers, since they are easily taken down and or moved.

Madmarx
09-21-2007, 05:49 AM
The black tubes are usually drainage pipes.
Inflatable are nice, they're safer, easier to move but need more care and aren't as rugged.

Spider-TW
09-21-2007, 09:27 AM
If you do a mix, you can have interchangeable :) layouts? I don't know if that's feasible, but it is a thought.
I've been to a few fields that mix them up. They use them for variety and also to patch areas that become unplayable because of the lack of cover.

Grating on the ramps would be good traction, but I know guys that would be happy to cover you with spray from shooting through the grating. There should be some sort of tread that will work with paint.

mostpeople
09-21-2007, 10:36 AM
The answer to ramps is to enclose the area beneath it, that way you cant shoot up from below because thatwould be very dangerous do the gonads.

jbg00d
09-22-2007, 12:16 AM
I think it would help us help you if you told us the "market" you are after...speedball, milsim/woodsball......that way we would better know what to think about.

We're after a woodsball/urban setting.

buzzboy
09-22-2007, 06:57 AM
As many have said, hard bunkers.
I am a big fan of hyperpipe myself. Nobody i know likes it but....

I would go for a mix of bunkers. The best "urban" field I have yet played had a mix of plywood, tires and hyperpipe. It was a great field and all the different mediums made for an incredible playing time.

athomas
09-22-2007, 01:50 PM
Maintenance on a large indoor field made for urban play would be a nightmare with inflatable bunkers. Plus it wouldn't look as urban. Plywood gets weak after continued use as a bunker if you don't keep it clean from paintball goo, but as long as you keep it washed down, it will last quite a while. Paint the floors with nonskid paint. Yes, you can't slide, but it will prevent accidental head impacts on the floor as well.

Coralis
09-22-2007, 04:13 PM
whats your budget like ?

jbg00d
09-23-2007, 12:21 AM
whats your budget like ?

$250.000, but that inludes rent for a year. so $150.000.

jbg00d
09-23-2007, 12:26 AM
Maintenance on a large indoor field made for urban play would be a nightmare with inflatable bunkers. Plus it wouldn't look as urban. Plywood gets weak after continued use as a bunker if you don't keep it clean from paintball goo, but as long as you keep it washed down, it will last quite a while. Paint the floors with nonskid paint. Yes, you can't slide, but it will prevent accidental head impacts on the floor as well.

I was thinking of using this stuff for the floor:
http://www.paintballnetting.com/onlinestore/detail.cfm?ID=59&storeid=1&sessionid=3934898242

jbg00d
09-23-2007, 12:28 AM

Yes. we were going to make it an interchangeable course. We thought that would really be the winning ticket.

jbg00d
09-23-2007, 12:33 AM
i like solid bunkers.

but i'm probably too far and busy to be your customer enough to make my input matter.

Not so fast. We are going to have raffles that the winner will have an all expenses paid weekend of free play including a friend plus room and board. We hope to promote this every month. It all depends on membership.

We already have a great start on members joining our local group, but to do the "weekend warriors" raffle, we'll need members from everywhere.