PDA

View Full Version : What would it take....

txaggie08
09-26-2007, 12:00 AM
...to actually get an xvalve to run on Co2? dual stabalizers on a larger A/S tank? or is the valve that overtly sensitive.

I swear I've seen it done before on a mech, I'm just curious......

wetwrks
09-26-2007, 12:16 AM
I saw somewhere on here where someone had done it. He didn't do any mods, just ran it on co2. It will run but the concern is that it can damage the internals.

Whee McGee
09-26-2007, 12:36 AM
as long as you keep the rate of fire low, you should (theoretically) be fine. The problem occurs that the valve cycles ridiculously fast, causing the c02 to convert back into liquid form in the valve, which in turn ruins the valve. I think that's why stabilizers wouldn't do anything, since it doesn't involve liquid entering the valve, but the valve converting it back.
My guess anyways. :tard:

I wouldn't try it though.

maniacmechanic
09-26-2007, 04:49 AM
the ? is why

Madmarx
09-26-2007, 06:35 AM
I've run mine on co2 with a remote and it worked fine.
Tank was verticle on my belt.
No stabilizer just a gas thru.

Spider-TW
09-26-2007, 08:29 AM
the ? is why
I know what you mean. Liquid ends up in the classic valves all the time.

Besides stability in either valve, I expect that the two little urethane orings on the x-valve reg pin would give you trouble after prolonged exposure to CO2. The classic valve seat has lots of directions to expand. Those little orings would bind up the reg pin pretty easily after absorbing some CO2.

txaggie08
10-06-2007, 10:58 AM
the ? is why

Availiability.

I play/work at a field with no compressor. I loan my gun out alot, and will usually only play late on sundays, and I would like a solution to not having more than 1k in air in the tanks ;)

Skiddz
10-06-2007, 11:20 AM
i would at least consider an anti siphlon tank if you were to run co2. Those tanks prevent from liquid co2 from going into your gun.

Whee McGee
10-06-2007, 12:30 PM
i would at least consider an anti siphlon tank if you were to run co2. Those tanks prevent from liquid co2 from going into your gun.
The problem wouldn't be liquid getting into the valve. ;) Otherwise a few Palmers would all it would need for an X valve to function. The Valve cycles so fast, that the c02 converts back into liquid, damaging the valve.

Are X valves built differently than Classics? extra o-rings, more chambers, anything that would cause c02 to damage it anymore than a Classic Valve?

custar
10-06-2007, 12:39 PM
I recall reading the RT-derived valves achieve their reactivity because the gas goes through the on/off and dump chamber so fast it creates friction, the friction causes heat, the heat causes expansion of the gas resulting in increased pressure which forces the RT pin back down, resulting in the RT effect. Apologies for the run-on sentence. Anyway, as I understood it from that explanation, the CO2 is cooler and defeats the friction-generated heat expansion of the gas. Also, enough flow of CO2 will eventually result freezing of the rings because of the ROF possible, even if the CO2 doesn't reach the valve in liquid form. With the way the RT-derived valves function, I can't see them actually converting gaseous CO2 back into liquid form (there isn't enough pressure generated to do so), but the CO2 doesn't have to be in liquid form to freeze o-rings.

I don't think running CO2 in and of itself will damage any Automag valve, but running the CO2 at high ROF's might freeze and damage the o-rings.

custar

LK-13
10-06-2007, 09:50 PM
I recall reading the RT-derived valves achieve their reactivity because the gas goes through the on/off and dump chamber so fast it creates friction, the friction causes heat, the heat causes expansion of the gas resulting in increased pressure which forces the RT pin back down, resulting in the RT effect. Apologies for the run-on sentence. Anyway, as I understood it from that explanation, the CO2 is cooler and defeats the friction-generated heat expansion of the gas. Also, enough flow of CO2 will eventually result freezing of the rings because of the ROF possible, even if the CO2 doesn't reach the valve in liquid form. With the way the RT-derived valves function, I can't see them actually converting gaseous CO2 back into liquid form (there isn't enough pressure generated to do so), but the CO2 doesn't have to be in liquid form to freeze o-rings.

I don't think running CO2 in and of itself will damage any Automag valve, but running the CO2 at high ROF's might freeze and damage the o-rings.

custar

so keeping that in mind,
do we think that a restricted ROF like 9 or 10 BPS
would allow either gas to be used as the propellant?

Spider-TW
10-06-2007, 10:51 PM
A lot of the pump maggers use co2 (with x-valves). As long as you use a single trigger, it can't be too bad. What happens when you try to dump a couple of pods straight (at 8-10 bps) is another question.

Freezing up a classic is common, but I will the other valves tolerate that repeatedly? When AGD says "no CO2", they may not have bothered to say "except for 12 gams", or "not above 7bps", or "not for more than 4 hours at time". It started with the RT valve. Who's gonna put a 12 gram on an RT? :spit_take