PDA

View Full Version : Design Software

MechMags
09-28-2007, 01:09 PM
I was wondering what peoples thoughts are on design software.

I have some concepts i want to further investigate, possibly milled. Is there a package out there that i should consider over others...

emachineshop isnt very me friendly, and i am sure there is better programs available with a few being relatively affordable.

End result of software would be producing a usuable file for a machinist...

so what do you have running?

the way i look at it, it seems like it would be cheaper in the long run to invest at my end to work up some things, although depending on other factors... i wouldnt be totally against having it done for me... in which case any cad type program should suffice.

angrysasquatch
09-28-2007, 03:34 PM
Are you looking for 3d or 2d modeling? Are you going to send these off to a machine shop to build? If you're doing the entire process, then printing it and handing it too the machinist, you can use just about any program. If you're designing it, then handing it to a CNC shop to make your part, you're going to need something more mainstream. For 2-d, autocad, and 3d, autodesk inventor, solidworks, there are a few more that I forget. The problem is, those programs are $1000+. If you're just doing your small potatoes stuff, I would just download it off the internet. If you're doing something huge, where someone might not like you (disgruntled employee), you're gonna have to buy the real thing. You're probably gooing to also want to buy some books or something on the programs, since none of them are really intuitive to someone who's a newbie to cad.

MechMags
09-29-2007, 08:40 AM
Cad isnt a problem...

for the most part i would be looking at outsourcing a file. If its 2D i can pretty much cover that the package i have doesnt really handle 3D very well or maybe i just dont think its enough.

I can do the cadwork, I was trying to help out at the other end to help keep some costs down. I dont like the idea of have to pay someone to redraw from scratch... so i figure if i can get them at least part of the way down the road it would be better for all.

For instance... would it be helpful to make the parts in a cad-cam program that could generate the g-code or just stick to standard detail drawings for mechanical milling.

I understand its going to depend on the machinist availabilty of tools and gear, really just trying to get a direction.