PDA

View Full Version : Statistic from NPPL.tv

spwz99
09-28-2007, 01:49 PM
I was poking around the NPPL website looking for info on the results of the KC event and came across this statistic that disturbs me:

61.2% of the Paintball participant household has annual income greater than $50,000 per year.
*Source: National Sporting Goods Association "Sports Participation in 2006 Series II" report.

Now, although $50,000 isnt a ridiculously high income for a household, I would still consider it "upper middle class". Maybe thats a lower figure than what is officially an upper middle class family, but I digress.

Why do you think that is? Is it directly correlated to income? (Paintball can be a very expensive sport) or is it some other connection? (Or none at all for that matter.)
This worries me because one of the greatest things about sports is the fact that, with some exceptions, a kid can go out and play them regardless of how much their parents make. I don't see paintball growing much more if we are limited to a rich kids sport.

Zone Drifter
09-28-2007, 02:28 PM
Well the thing is, even poor kids can play paintball as long as they try to find the markers being sold not new. And trust me, when you live in connecticut like me, stuff is so expensive that even with a good income you still wouldnt be convinced that buying somethign new is worth it. For the longest time all i played with was either a talon, tigershark or stingray, because in the woods thats all we really needed anyhow.

it doesnt have to be an expensive sport, just dont be picky on things and you can get by no problem. Everyone wants their gun to be new when they get it, but even us mag owners still play with 5+ year old markers that most likely we didnt buy brand new. Heck, even baseball bats cost as much as a new low end marker. Guess it all depends on how deep into paintball you wanna get, same goes with any other sport. The more you get into it, the more you'll buy and the better stuff costs more, so it's relative to any other sport for the most part.

Only difference is that parents and kids tend to think that paintball is much more dangerous, when in fact if you wear your mask you're safer than you are being golie in a hockey game.

B-Pow
09-28-2007, 03:27 PM
Another thing to consider is that 50K for an entire household is not that much is some areas. In chicagoland a household of say 4 people living on 50K is definately not what I would call rich.

p8ntball72
09-28-2007, 04:34 PM
What other "sport" requires you to consume a product in order to play?

THAT is paintballs biggest Downfall IMO to becoming "mainstream" and sustained.

Kids can play any other game for FREE once they spend the initial cost of equipment.

Paintball has always had and will always HAVE a constant "turn over" of players because of this.. and that's just the way the INDUSTRY likes it.

Zone Drifter
09-28-2007, 04:37 PM

THAT is paintballs biggest Downfall IMO to becoming "mainstream" and sustained.

Kids can play any other game for FREE once they spend the initial cost of equipment.

Paintball has always had and will always HAVE a constant "turn over" of players because of this.. and that's just the way the INDUSTRY likes it.
Unless you hit baseballs into an angry neighbors yard who never gives them back... :ninja:

MANN
09-28-2007, 05:23 PM

Ice Hockey....Gotta pay each time you hit the ice. apparently an indoor frozen pond is expensive.

kenndogg
09-28-2007, 05:48 PM
Ice Hockey....Gotta pay each time you hit the ice. apparently an indoor frozen pond is expensive.

yeah but that is similar to paying a field fee in paintball. But in paintball you still need paint.
Doesn't matter if you play renegade ball or at an established field, most of the cost will be paint and air.
So after your intial cost of equipment you have: field fees+paint+air every time out.

MANN
09-28-2007, 06:42 PM
The way I look at it is there are sports that do and dont cost money. If you have to pay to play then it cost. If you only have equipment/low annual fees then it does not cost.

Sports that cost: Golf, paintball, hockey, etc

Sports that dont: basketball, football, baseball.

Ninjeff
09-28-2007, 07:11 PM
PKPP.

Poor kids play pump.

kruger
09-28-2007, 09:48 PM
There is also Skeet, Trap, Dove Hunting and any sport that uses a real gun. You have to buy your bullets.

And, unless you DO have disposable income, then, paintball is a relatively expensive sport. Consider the fact that if you do go to a paintball field, and not just outlaw ball, then you are talking a minimum of 20 bucks. Thats not counting the paint that you want to shoot. I can remember when after I paid all the bills, there was only 20 bucks left to get me to the next pay day. And that 20 is per person. Got three kids? 60 bucks, not counting paint. That can be difficult for some people to do.

custar
09-28-2007, 11:25 PM
The way I look at it is there are sports that do and dont cost money. If you have to pay to play then it cost. If you only have equipment/low annual fees then it does not cost.

Sports that cost: Golf, paintball, hockey, etc

Sports that dont: basketball, football, baseball.

That also depends. AAU basketball, competitive soccer. American Legion baseball, summer camps for most sports, etc. all cost quite a bit. A lot of it depends on the level of competition. Also, sports that have a high school analog can be inexpensive while in high school. Those that don't tend to be more expensive. Last, you can play pick up basketball for next to nothing, but once you are out of high school, organized adult leagues have costs each season and perhaps ref fees each game.

BTW, reffing is a good way for younger players to finance most sports activities, including paintball.

custar