PDA

View Full Version : Low velocity on my mag Need help

peteralexander78
10-01-2007, 02:12 PM
Ok, this is my second thread on this and I need help on it. I looked at what I had on it and switched out a couple O rings and it didnt change anything. I have a minimag valve and the velocity is screwed all the way down and it is 260fps. I want to have it about 280-285 fps and only have it screwed in part of the way. I have the lvl 10 in and the short spring. It has the stock am/mm on/off. I am using and have only used HPA. Nothing looks worn or damaged as a whole in parts in the valve. Any clue on how to fix this problem?

dyeforever
10-01-2007, 02:32 PM
try putting in the middle spring and retesting

Piranti
10-01-2007, 02:44 PM
Output pressure on your HPA tank?

peteralexander78
10-01-2007, 02:47 PM
Output pressure on your HPA tank?
standard 850psi

peteralexander78
10-01-2007, 02:49 PM
try putting in the middle spring and retesting
which is the middle spring, I have brass short, grey long and red long

Spider-TW
10-01-2007, 03:03 PM
Has it always been like that on HPA? Maybe you have a mag that requires a new spring pack for HPA.

peteralexander78
10-01-2007, 03:08 PM
Has it always been like that on HPA? Maybe you have a mag that requires a new spring pack for HPA.
I thought that there is only one type of spring pack

dyeforever
10-01-2007, 03:18 PM
does the red one have one end cut off? i think the red one is the middle one.

Tym
10-01-2007, 03:51 PM
It won't be your mainspring, if it was it would ether be bolt stickage or lack of the bold moving all together.. If the Marker fires fine, but is low even when cranked or is fluxuating then it is most likely your valves spring pack.

Unscrew your velocity screw all the way out, what falls out is your valves spring pack, it's supposed to be greeased and left alone unless something goes wrong.. On youtube search for "Automag tom kay" and you will see automag video's 1 - 9 with tom kay.. I would watch the entire thing, no matter what AGD marker you have, since they are all the same more or less.. If you are in a hurry watch parts 8 and 9, these cover troubleshooting.

Let me know how it goes :)

Spider-TW
10-01-2007, 04:30 PM
I thought that there is only one type of spring pack
There can be only one...(yes)

It is not uncommon when going from CO2 to HPA that the old-style valves need new spring packs. I don't know if it was ever decided if the spring packs were weaker to start with or if they wore down. You are talking about older mags in the first place. Many older markers don't need new packs. For a given regulator pressure, you get more volume expansion to atmosphere from CO2 than HPA, so the regulator doesn't have to be set as high to get the same fps.

If your operation is consistent and topped out at 260 fps, and the valve body doesn't say FIELD (as in FIELD / RENTAL) on it, I would at least try a different spring pack.

peteralexander78
10-01-2007, 04:51 PM
There can be only one...(yes)

It is not uncommon when going from CO2 to HPA that the old-style valves need new spring packs. I don't know if it was ever decided if the spring packs were weaker to start with or if they wore down. You are talking about older mags in the first place. Many older markers don't need new packs. For a given regulator pressure, you get more volume expansion to atmosphere from CO2 than HPA, so the regulator doesn't have to be set as high to get the same fps.

If your operation is consistent and topped out at 260 fps, and the valve body doesn't say FIELD (as in FIELD / RENTAL) on it, I would at least try a different spring pack.

Mag doesnt say field or rental, it is a minimag and I will try a new spring pack. I will put in the middle spring just to see if that also helps

athomas
10-01-2007, 05:22 PM
Mag doesnt say field or rental, it is a minimag and I will try a new spring pack. I will put in the middle spring just to see if that also helpsThe middle spring will mean that you need to operate at a higher pressure and velocity, not that your gun will shoot at a higher velocity. If you are having issues setting a higher velocity, the middle spring will make it worse. Use the shortest bolt spring. You will be able to get a higher velocity out of your mag.

Try shimming your spring pack. That will increase the tension and thus increase the pressure in the mag which results in a higher velocity. You shim it by placing a washer inside the adjuster cap so that it puts more pressure on the spring pack when the adjuster is screwed in.

peteralexander78
10-01-2007, 08:56 PM
The middle spring will mean that you need to operate at a higher pressure and velocity, not that your gun will shoot at a higher velocity. If you are having issues setting a higher velocity, the middle spring will make it worse. Use the shortest bolt spring. You will be able to get a higher velocity out of your mag.

Try shimming your spring pack. That will increase the tension and thus increase the pressure in the mag which results in a higher velocity. You shim it by placing a washer inside the adjuster cap so that it puts more pressure on the spring pack when the adjuster is screwed in.

I was already using the short spring and getting the lower velocity, I will try shimming the spring pack

peteralexander78
10-02-2007, 08:49 AM
As a whole I am getting that it is the spring pack, and the bolt spring has nothing to do with it or I need to use the smallest one. Any other ideas

athomas
10-02-2007, 07:29 PM
Your problem is not the bolt spring, but using a shorter one can be used to temporarily help evade the effects.