PDA

View Full Version : O-rings

Raven001
10-02-2007, 07:24 AM
Quick dumb question. What are the o-rings for mags made from/of? I'm trying to find out if they are compatible with an air tool oil we use at work.

Thanx

SR_matt
10-02-2007, 08:21 AM
i think they are all neoprene, if the tool is dangerous/ expensive/ will get you in trouble if it breaks dont try to swap orings, you have at least 3 different things about orings (sizes, hardness, chemical absorption) that if they are even slightly off will either not work or just let them fail in the wrong situations.

just buy the right one for it

-matt

Raven001
10-02-2007, 08:34 AM
I'm not using mag o-rings in the air tools, rather I want to use the air tool oil in my mag but want to make sure it doesn't affect the o-rings in the mag....

SR_matt
10-02-2007, 10:42 AM
it shouldnt do anything to bad but its rather hard to get the right one... given my friend fixed an aka 2 liter reg with a random plumbing oring some how but that was such chance

-matt

athomas
10-02-2007, 10:44 AM
Most good quality synthetic air tool oil is completely safe for your mag. The yellowish-white mag orings are urethane. The white ones are teflon (classic on-off top oring). The black ones are buna-N.

SR_matt
10-02-2007, 10:49 AM
o wow nvm i feel stupid i missed the oil part, i thought u were asking about swaping orings between the 2

-matt

Raven001
10-02-2007, 11:14 AM
That's allright SRMatt, we all do that sometimes. :D

Thanks AThomas. Looks like what we have in stock is good to go ;)

Spider-TW
10-02-2007, 11:20 AM
The yellow to (bad) brown translucent are urethane. The little white opaque are teflon. The black are buna-N (just the level 10 carrier I think). Most are 70 or 90 durometer.

At varying rates, non-synthetic lubes eventually harden and weaken the urethane and just weaken the buna-N. Think storage time, not playing time. Since you have a combination and are more concerned about storage than actual lube performance, the synthetic lube keeps them all happy.

Using synthetic grease on each oring will buy you a few years of good oring life in storage, but they all turn on you eventually. The more pressure, twisting and pulling they are exposed to the faster they go.

Raven001
10-16-2007, 10:12 AM
Most good quality synthetic air tool oil is completely safe for your mag. The yellowish-white mag orings are urethane. The white ones are teflon (classic on-off top oring). The black ones are buna-N.

Well I looked at what we had at work and found two likely suspects. The first was Kleen Flo air tool oil. It doesn't state if it’s synthetic or not but it is flammable. I wasn't able to get any product info on it so I passed up on it.

The next was compressor oil http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/pci.aspx
This seems to be compatible with everything and although it feels a little light, seems to work.

Thoughts?

Spider-TW
10-16-2007, 04:03 PM
I think this is your Kleen Flo (http://www.kleenflo.com/en/msds/4168.pdf), which is petroleum based.

The compressor oil would be harmless to try. The only problem with synthetics, especially gear box and crank case lubes, is that they often don't adhere to the surfaces well. They don't need to when they are constantly circulated. As long as your oil doesn't get blown out before you can re-lube and you have plenty available, that amsoil looks pretty nice.

athomas
10-16-2007, 08:11 PM
The compressor oil would be fine. It even states that it is compatible with nitrile and poly urethane which is what most orings are made of.