PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on DW Carbon Fibur Barrel

Stayhuge
10-04-2007, 08:50 AM
Hey everyone, I just received my DW Barrel, and I feel like it is pretty cheap. At least my first impression is that I could break it in half with my hands. How has everyone's held up so far??? I just want to know if it can take a beating. I mean the sport is pretty rough, and I don't want to take a dive and come up to find that my barrel is in five pieces laying on the ground in front of me. I'm just looking for everyone's Honest opinion. I'm not knocking the barrel. For all I know they could last a thousand years, I just want some input from people that have been using is for some time now. Thanks everyone.

chettacheez
10-04-2007, 08:52 AM
Ive put about 10 cases through mine and practiced every week this summer and never had a problem.

robnix
10-04-2007, 10:55 AM
Hey everyone, I just received my DW Barrel, and I feel like it is pretty cheap. At least my first impression is that I could break it in half with my hands. How has everyone's held up so far??? I just want to know if it can take a beating. I mean the sport is pretty rough, and I don't want to take a dive and come up to find that my barrel is in five pieces laying on the ground in front of me. I'm just looking for everyone's Honest opinion. I'm not knocking the barrel. For all I know they could last a thousand years, I just want some input from people that have been using is for some time now. Thanks everyone.

I tripped forward and planted mine in some soft ground. It's still in perfect shape.

Piranti
10-04-2007, 10:59 AM
There is a reason Carbon Fiber is used extensively for military automotive and other applications.

1. Its freaking light.
2. Its really really frickin strong.
4. Profit.

oops wait a sec, wrong plan.....

Anyways Carbon Fiber is amazingly strong compared to most other materials even moreso when you take into account the weight factor. If you applied the same stresses to a regular barrel, I am sure the CF barrel will hold up just as well if not better.

MoeMag
10-04-2007, 11:41 AM
I love mine.
It holds up to desert balling great.

Its WAY better than any other CF barrel on the market.

Stayhuge
10-04-2007, 12:10 PM
Cool guys, thanks. I'll keep it then. It is really light, and I think that's why I got the impression that it would break. Thanks again!!!

Empyreal Rogue
10-04-2007, 02:23 PM
Hey everyone, I just received my DW Barrel, and I feel like it is pretty cheap. At least my first impression is that I could break it in half with my hands.

That's the initial feeling anyone feels when they handle carbon fiber for the first time. Especially when you're holding a c/f version of something else that's typically metal, like a paintball barrel. I can assure you it's more durable than most anything else you'll hold.

Loguzzzzzz
10-04-2007, 02:42 PM
I am sure this is stated above but the only reason it feels "cheap" to you is because of the incredibly light weight.

I have The original DW barrel when is was known as the Wisper and I have 4 different Stiffi barrels. No real difference in the feel or perfomance of either if them. I have slipped going into a bunker on a wet grassy field head first and stuffed the barrel into the grass with all of my weight (I weighed 240 lbs. at the time) and the only thing I did was clog the barrel with a dirt plug. Pulled out the dirt clump and there was absolutely no markes on the tip of the barrel. I was totally sold on carbon fiber at that point and use it almost exclusively now.

Carbon fiber does not flex or expand in heat as much as aluminum. It is a superior product.

DO NOT BE AFRAID..................... ;)

ps.
Remeber to only use a squeege that is the rubber disk type. The small fibers of a swab type of barrel cleaning device can snag the small fibers in the CF barrel.

Also, be careful when changing the Freak inserts. I have lost the o-ring in the barrel by pulling the insert out too quickly.

Stayhuge
10-04-2007, 03:00 PM
THank you everyone for all of the tips. I appreciate it. I can't wait to get this thing out on the field.

DBC
10-04-2007, 03:05 PM
Yes, be careful putting in and taking out the freak inserts. I think I put a dent in mine when putting it in (or out).

When I play long woods ball games and I am tired, while I am kneeling, I lean on my barrel all the time. No noticable wear in the tip of the barrel at all. I fell once and banged my whole gun on it's side into the ground. The marker got a couple small scratches, but nothing on the barrel.

You will love it.

Piranti
10-04-2007, 03:18 PM
The Fibur Barrels can be swabbed with any barrel swab, pull through, or whatever made for cleaning a Paintball barrel. Not sure on the Stiffi's or CCM's or other branded Carbon Fiber barrels. DW Fibur barrels are designed to not have that particular drawback of other CF barrels.

robnix
10-04-2007, 03:33 PM
THank you everyone for all of the tips. I appreciate it. I can't wait to get this thing out on the field.

If you haven't shot anything through it yet, you'll get a kick out of the 'thump!' that comes out when you fire.

flyingpootang
10-04-2007, 04:00 PM
Make sure you only use rubber squeegees if you have to clean it.

ThePixelGuru
10-04-2007, 04:10 PM
The Fibur Barrels can be swabbed with any barrel swab, pull through, or whatever made for cleaning a Paintball barrel. Not sure on the Stiffi's or CCM's or other branded Carbon Fiber barrels. DW Fibur barrels are designed to not have that particular drawback of other CF barrels.
How about the Wisper? Any difference? Confirmation would be nice, too. I'd like to use my swab on my Wisper, but there's no way I would without hearing it straight from DW.

mr doo doo
10-04-2007, 04:32 PM
hum... this makes me want to get one as well.

Piranti
10-04-2007, 04:42 PM
Fibur and Whisper are same barrels with a different name, probably due to copyright issues, same construction methods on both.

Stayhuge
10-04-2007, 04:51 PM
I must say, I didn't expect to get this much feedback, and all of it to be positive. All of you don't work for DW now do you???? LOL Thanks everyone, I really appreciate everything. I think I am going to take a personal day tomorrow and go play paintball!!! I'm so psyched.

maniacmechanic
10-04-2007, 06:14 PM
I think they are great barrels , about 4 of my friends have them also , 1 guys barrel came loose from the aluminum adapter & they sent him another no ? asked & he returned the old one

Warwitch
10-04-2007, 06:54 PM
If you haven't shot anything through it yet, you'll get a kick out of the 'thump!' that comes out when you fire.

QFT!

Make sure you only use rubber squeegees if you have to clean it.

again, you can use any type of barrel swab on DW barrels. They dont suffer the interior fiber lifting that Stiffis do because of the way they are made.

Taken from the DW website:

Unlike other carbon fiber barrels, the Wisper barrel is built with a unique 3 layer construction. 2x2 satin Twill external, uni-direction fibers laid up in a strong multi-vector pattern, and then a super slick "Silkfiber" inside that can be safely swabbed.

:cheers:

FOG
10-04-2007, 08:18 PM
I never need a swab a few shots thru it and its shootin strait agin ( Stiffi )

Ruler_Mark
10-04-2007, 09:14 PM
BEST BARREL EVER!

No joke. :clap:

OMRomero
10-04-2007, 09:22 PM
Just ordered mine. I'll post back with some results when I get it. Only thing I did not like about the barrel is that a 12 inch version is not offered.

Ruler_Mark
10-04-2007, 09:55 PM
OMG Call DW tommorrow,, Tell them you want a 12 in,, they are willing to make it shorter they just don't offer it on the site.

OMRomero
10-05-2007, 05:00 AM
Ok, will do.

Bolter
10-05-2007, 04:53 PM
These things are SO durable they dont recommend using fluffy sticks on them :p

nicad
10-05-2007, 06:35 PM
The "older" Wispers had a thin metric O-ring inside them, which had a tendency to pop out when you removed the Freak insert. The later versions, now called the Fibur, use a normal thicker O-ring in them that will not pop out.

The very first barrel I made I gave to my friend and told him to "break it". It took 3x 200lb "body slams" (like breaking over your knee, but jumping up and coming down on the edge of a table) before it broke. You can try but you will not be able to break the barrel with only your body. :)

Ruler_Mark
10-05-2007, 06:45 PM
The "older" Wispers had a thin metric O-ring inside them, which had a tendency to pop out when you removed the Freak insert. The later versions, now called the Fibur, use a normal thicker O-ring in them that will not pop out.

The very first barrel I made I gave to my friend and told him to "break it". It took 3x 200lb "body slams" (like breaking over your knee, but jumping up and coming down on the edge of a table) before it broke. You can try but you will not be able to break the barrel with only your body. :)
/ tear

maniacmechanic
10-05-2007, 07:24 PM

your barrels are great , but why don't you market shorter barrels , a 12" ,10" or even an 8"

Warwitch
10-05-2007, 07:39 PM
your barrels are great , but why don't you market shorter barrels , a 12" ,10" or even an 8"

What he said :)

Stayhuge
10-06-2007, 12:43 AM
I don't think those were questions were directed at me, being that I don't run DW. LOL. any way, I have been upgrading my mag, and this is waht I am at right now. The only thing that I was considering was a Puematic set up. Not sure yet. :

http://img2.putfile.com/thumb/10/27801442671.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6799273)
http://img2.putfile.com/thumb/10/27801442645.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6799272)
http://img2.putfile.com/thumb/10/27801442634.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6799274)
http://img2.putfile.com/thumb/10/27801442629.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6799275)

Ruler_Mark
10-06-2007, 01:51 AM
I don't think those were questions were directed at me, being that I don't run DW. LOL. any way, I have been upgrading my mag, and this is waht I am at right now. The only thing that I was considering was a Puematic set up. Not sure yet. :

Pnuemag it and get some stinger grips that look like carbon fiber :ninja:

craltal
10-06-2007, 09:12 AM

Those comments were directed at nicad...

nice looking mag, btw

Stayhuge
10-07-2007, 03:35 PM
That's what I figured. Thanks