PDA

View Full Version : Shockers... what do you guys think?

phizz
10-04-2007, 10:10 AM
Hey guys I have been looking into buying a new marker, not because I really need one, but because I want to try out something new. What do you think about Shockers? and if you have used them is there anything or one you would recommend.

Thanks for the help!

punkncat
10-04-2007, 10:16 AM
I was not particualrly impressed w/ my SFT. It seemed to be "needy" of a lot of attention in between use. Had a lot of consistancy problems if I didn't clean it every time I used it.

angrysasquatch
10-04-2007, 10:21 AM
personally don't like anything made by Smart Parts. They aren't designed very well (look at all the "upgrades" that are offered), the anodizing doesn't stay on because they use an alloy of aluminum which is easily machinable, but doesn't anodize well. Just look at all the used shockers around with bare aluminum showing through from rubbing. If you're looking for a spool valve, I have owned a DM4 and loved it to death, so DM4-6 are good, as well as PM5-6. Careful, with the DM line, odd number ones are essentially lightened versions of their older counterpart. Even numbers have some new technology built into them. Also, another spooler, I've seen new Quests go for 400 (actionvilliage and somewhere else). I have only heard good things about them.

bryceeden
10-04-2007, 10:25 AM
I have fixed ALOT of broken shockers, and really I haven't been impressed with thier performance. Depending on your budget I highly reccomend the Marq. Plus the Marq6 and Marq7 are going for a good price right now.

Stayhuge
10-04-2007, 10:27 AM
I have owned two in my lifetime. First a Shoebox S/F which I doubt you will be buying, so I guess my second would apply to you, which was an 03 SFT. I thought it was a great gun. Pretty quick for the stock board. The upgrades I would recommend for any 03-06 Shockers would be the HE Bolt($100) and a CP roller bearing trigger ($30). Maybe a Freak Back and a Locking Feedneck. Now, if you are looking at the new NXT shockers, they have the HE Bolt already and I think they might have the neck too. The trigger, I think, still needs to be changed to a Roller Bearing (SO MUCH SMOOTHER!!!) Personally, I theought they were great guns, and very easy to maintain, but I recently sold mine, and bought a ULE Custom. I love the Mag, and with the 90* Logic frame and the ULT, the thing cranks. The shocker was faster, but then again, the Mag is more reliable. The solenoid on my Shocker blew out, and I had to send it to Smart Parts for repair. They charged me $15 for shipping and nothing to fix it, even though it wasn't under warrantee anymore(Nice Guys!!), but it was never the same. I adjusted the Dwell, but I could never get the gun to be the same as before it had the problems. I hope they worked all of the issues out with the NXT, but for $725 stock, there are a lot more guns out there.Good Luck!!!

neppo1345
10-04-2007, 10:31 AM
My NXT is the only gun (other than my viking) that I can honestly say I liked better than my E-mag.

They're a little more maint. intensive, but overall an excellent gun.

WillyB
10-04-2007, 10:43 AM
I absolutely love mine. Shoots phenomenal, very quiet, decent efficiency, and looks amazing. They are a bit finicky. You have to change o-rings out a lot to keep it in tip-top shape, which isn't all bad, but you can't just throw it in the gear bag and go. They have decent efficiency if you get a HE style bolt (i get about 1500 off a 68/4k fill). If I were you I'd try to get a PL model that is closed body (Nasty, Strange, a few others I can't remember). You can then run the ULP firing can from NDZ. For reference, I operate my Shocker at 170 Psi, 12 dwell, 290 fps with this firing can. The anno does wear a bit, but I kinda like it. If you have a chance, find out if you can shoot both the SFT and NXT models before you choose which one to buy. I personally like the SFT more than the NXT.

Edit: Check out www.zdspb.com for everything you could ever want to know about Shockers.

Warwitch
10-04-2007, 11:01 AM
Dont do it dude :tard:

warbeak2099
10-04-2007, 11:09 AM
I wasn't impressed with my friends. He hadn't even had his SFT for that long and it already seemed like it was crapping out. I'd rather shoot a DM/PM if I were going for a spooler.

rkjunior303
10-04-2007, 11:34 AM
they shoot great. small, light, and fast. any 04+ SFT's come stock with the HE bolt.

DaFin
10-04-2007, 11:44 AM
It's a product produced by and bears the mark of the evil empire (non-capitalization intended). The purchase of which would further the help further the goals of the evil empire. Don't support the evil empire.

RavishingEddie
10-04-2007, 11:48 AM
They have the same air efficiency of the mag, but less reliable. DM's However shoot pretty nice.

MoeMag
10-04-2007, 12:07 PM
Did anyone say find the Swollen o-ring... out of like 30.

B-Pow
10-04-2007, 12:17 PM
I don't know about the new models, but the 03-06 models had issues that could not really be fixed. I always found it humorious to look at youtube and see paintball videos of pro players who had second shot dropoff on their shockers, all of their shockers. If a company can't get their guns not to have problems like that...even when used by pros who will complain and whine to techs all day...eh...no thanks.

I know some people like them, but I don't.

But then again I own one spooler and spoolers are not my favorite, they have low kick but have generally lower efficency and feel like more work to maintain.

rkjunior303
10-04-2007, 12:19 PM
wait until macdev releases the droid...it's going to be a single tube spooler

GraveDiggersUnion
10-04-2007, 01:17 PM
I don't know about the new models, but the 03-06 models had issues that could not really be fixed. I always found it humorious to look at youtube and see paintball videos of pro players who had second shot dropoff on their shockers, all of their shockers. If a company can't get their guns not to have problems like that...even when used by pros who will complain and whine to techs all day...eh...no thanks.

what issues is that?..i have owned many of shockers and still have my 05 dark shocker(no problems what so ever, and recently bought a russian legion nxt (i love it)

the FSDO issues that SOME shockers have is a simple fix by adjusting your dwell...

Toll
10-04-2007, 02:36 PM
I've owned 3.

At the price of 350 they are generally worth it. I love the trigger frame for some reason. So much so I put one on my mag...

Either way as long as you are looking at the lower end of the spectrum price wise, they're great. I wouldn't pay over 400$ for any given one unless it came with a huge assortment of upgrades.

hipster
10-04-2007, 06:37 PM
I own two and have never had any problem with them one is a sft one is a nxt
I also own dm's mag's ego's and I use the shocker more than any

CKY_Alliance
10-04-2007, 07:22 PM
Shocker's are a good gun to get if your going to beat the crap out of a gun, use for a tournament season then dump it and get another one. That goes for SFT's, the NXT's are a step above. SP made some needed improvements, better metal/anno, breakbeam eyes, overall better feeling marker.

I havn't owned an NXT,but my friend had a dynasty nxt and a ND. I must say the dynasty shot butter, it was pretty beast.

Though if you want spool valve I reccomend a Matrix. The DM7 feels and shoots amazing, ye there arent that many improvements over the 06 other then weight reduction and the self cleaning eyes actualy work, but they are very nice, feel great and shoot like butter.The price is a bit much though, that's why Im still shooting my PM6 w/UL frame which I would also reccomend. Only reason I want a dm7 over my PM6 is the added length of the dm7 feel better. Pm6's can be had for mad cheap now, even new with UL frame they are like 700 w/ "le anno".

I picked up an 05 ego and I must say I shoot this over my PM6(well pm6 has no eyes right now) but the ego is beast. If I am ramping Ill use it all day long, if I have to shoot semi Ill shoot the pm6. The ego has a little more kick and is a little louder, but requires a lot less maintence and is just as reliable as a matrix (if not more)

Quest, I had a quest for awhile and it is like a better version of a shocker.Take a matrix and a shocker and you kinda of get a quest. I'd shoot one especially if they are 400 brand new ( I think someone said that above) they are reliable and fairly simple to maintence, just keep em lubed. The bolt is very simplified for a spool valve.

I would wait till after cup, prices will drop on this years guns and you will also have more selection.

OMRomero
10-04-2007, 09:32 PM
A spool valve has two advantages over say a poppet valve. The first being the operating pressure and the second being the recoil. It all goes downhill after that. They require high maintenance as mentioned eariler in the thread, have troubles in cold weather due to the heavy reliance on lube/orings, and if any foreign particles make there way into the marker, well your SOL.

phizz
10-04-2007, 10:26 PM
hmm I think you guys have talked me out of it, and I would think about a DM but they are just so damn ugly.

OMRomero
10-05-2007, 05:02 AM
Good choice. With that being said, I would recommend a Cyborg or Ego. Good luck man.

NoLifeLeft
10-05-2007, 10:11 PM
I liked the way spoolers shoot... But I really hate the beer-can aluminum that SP uses. I've heard that the NXT's are better but I'll stick with DM/PM's, thank you. I'd probibly give a Quest a try though. Or you can pick up a PMR w/UL frame for $425 in a lot of places. I loves mine. :shooting:

The Fiat
10-05-2007, 10:19 PM
I have been playing with my RL Shocker for almost a year. It has been a great gun. The biggest thing I find is set it and dont touch it. Just keep it clean and it will work day & night. The eyes work well, but you need to remove the grip to chanhe modes, etc. The gun will shoot fast and I like how it feels. if you are looking to get it to try it outm you will not de let down. Its a great marker.