PDA

View Full Version : Getting back in the Game

jiffy
10-04-2007, 06:42 PM
I used to play paintball back 14 years ago. I have a nice Classic Automag, but would like to move into modern times. I really loved my Automag because it was easy to work on and never had any real problems with all the abuse I put it through.

1) What is the latest and greatest from Air Gun Designs?

2) When I played they didn't have Electronic markers...what is the main advantage?

3) I want to get a new gun but don't want to spend a fortune. What is the best gun for the money? Does the Automag still hold up on the field. I'm no Pro but I like to feel adequate on the field with my tool.

4) Is there a cheaper place to get an Automag than the factory but new?

5) What does the best Automag go for these days? I see the RT Pro on the website and I put in upgrades....it came out to $700 or so.

6) Air? We had Co2 and Nitrogen back in the day. What is common on the field today and readily available at most fields, but works best?

Any help and introduction for a newb is great.

Thanks in advance.

craltal
10-04-2007, 07:19 PM
I used to play paintball back 14 years ago. I have a nice Classic Automag, but would like to move into modern times. I really loved my Automag because it was easy to work on and never had any real problems with all the abuse I put it through.

1) What is the latest and greatest from Air Gun Designs?

ULE bodies, X-valves (both of which are all aluminum)

2) When I played they didn't have Electronic markers...what is the main advantage?

programmable firing modes and a very light trigger pull (think a mouse click)

3) I want to get a new gun but don't want to spend a fortune. What is the best gun for the money? Does the Automag still hold up on the field. I'm no Pro but I like to feel adequate on the field with my tool.

that depends if you want to go mechanical or electronic. mags are very good mech guns as you know, but there are some really good electronic ones, but what to get will depend on a lot of factors, including playing style and the types of games you play

4) Is there a cheaper place to get an Automag than the factory but new?

themagsmith.com

5) What does the best Automag go for these days? I see the RT Pro on the website and I put in upgrades....it came out to $700 or so.

6) Air? We had Co2 and Nitrogen back in the day. What is common on the field today and readily available at most fields, but works best?

most organized fields will offer HPA (same as nitro) and offer "all day air" an RT or X valve should only be run on HPA.

Any help and introduction for a newb is great.

Thanks in advance.

see bold above

jiffy
10-04-2007, 08:51 PM
It looks like the Emag is the best mag going. Is that true? I see them for around $900. Is that the best going rate? Does the Emag have the X-valve? Does it have ULE and ULT? What does the Emag not have that a mag should have today? What is a pneumatic gun like pneumaagger has made? What makes that better?

Sorry for the questions but I have been reading on this site and on pbnation and these are the topics that don't have good explanations for new guys like myself.

Geronimo7
10-04-2007, 09:30 PM
honestly..... just upgrade what you already have to a x-valve with a ult, you can get a good used one around here for just a couple hundys rather than buying a whole new gun.

e-mag vs. pnuemag, i cannot comment on that. never shot a pnuemag ;)

anyway....welcome to AO :cheers:

craltal
10-04-2007, 09:32 PM
It looks like the Emag is the best mag going. Is that true? I see them for around $900. Is that the best going rate? Does the Emag have the X-valve? Does it have ULE and ULT? What does the Emag not have that a mag should have today? What is a pneumatic gun like pneumaagger has made? What makes that better?

Sorry for the questions but I have been reading on this site and on pbnation and these are the topics that don't have good explanations for new guys like myself.

Emags are old technology. The ones that are on the AGD site were left over stock and aren't even available anymore. They are the only electronic gun that has a mechanical back up. In comparison to other electronic guns they can be heavier and they use a rechargeable 18V battery pack because of the large solenoid needed.

A pneumag basically has some pneumatic switches and some other parts that actuate the operations. it makes for a wickedly fast and light trigger pull, but aren't available as a commercial product. You are either going to have to buy one used or have a mechanical one converted.

phizz
10-05-2007, 01:04 AM
you should be able to get emags from about $400 up depending on the body type of valve and if it has the lvl 10 bolt installed. I still use my emag and it runs just fine. As far as I am concerned it keeps up with everything, and the only reason I have been looking for something else is just to try something new. I would never sell my mags. Well never say never..

craltal
10-05-2007, 07:00 AM
Don't get me wrong, I love my emag. Xmod makes it fantastic (just gotta bite the bullet and drop the $80 for a new battery)

I was just working under the assumption stated early on that he was looking to buy new.

gotboostedvr6
10-09-2007, 05:58 PM
Using a cost/speed approach you would be best off just buying one of the cheap new electro guns on the market.

Being that you dont need electro to shoot fast you can mod your gun to be very fast.

if it were mine i would go powerfeed/ xvalve / hpa tank