PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again......

[NA]WARLORD
10-12-2007, 07:21 AM
http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=4&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=%22smart+parts%22.AS.&OS=AN/%22smart+parts%22&RS=AN/%22smart+parts%22

Discuss........ :rolleyes:

Gecko
10-12-2007, 07:30 AM
LOL
the prior art to this is HUGE
earliest i remeber is the tippman pro-am....

WARLORD']http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=4&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=%22smart+parts%22.AS.&OS=AN/%22smart+parts%22&RS=AN/%22smart+parts%22

Discuss........ :rolleyes:

Warwitch
10-12-2007, 07:36 AM
Oh noooooooooooooooooooooooes :cuss:

Shane-O-Mac
10-12-2007, 07:39 AM
lets see, Tippmann, Invert Mini, and old brute pump gun, had gas lines thru the grip. What the heck are they really trying to patent? Heck there was even a european grip fraemf or the mag that routed the air thru the grip.........................................

grEnAlEins
10-12-2007, 07:54 AM
:( Oh Boy
Maybe I should patent the use of clothing and various textiles for the sport of paintball :rolleyes:

All your munyz are belong to us!!

Anjin3515
10-12-2007, 08:01 AM
this just makes me dislike them even more.....

why do i think somewhere is some board room a conversation went on.....

Bill :: " Lets try to make some great products, ones that will push things forward, high quality...thats what will make us money"

Ted:: "no...lets try to patent EVERYTHING, make every other company pay us, thats what will make us money"

Bill:: "Excellent!"

MisterBones25
10-12-2007, 08:09 AM
:( Oh Boy
Maybe I should patent the use of clothing and various textiles for the sport of paintball :rolleyes:

i'd like to get down on that action. :dance:

grEnAlEins
10-12-2007, 08:12 AM
this just makes me dislike them even more.....

why do i think somewhere is some board room a conversation went on.....

Bill :: " Lets try to make some great products, ones that will push things forward, high quality...thats what will make us money"

Ted:: "no...lets try to patent EVERYTHING, make every other company pay us, thats what will make us money"

Bill:: "Excellent!"

Both: {Maniacal laughter}
fixed

And MisterBones, That is my, and solely my action. Sorry :(

P.S. I will also patent nekedness in the sport of paintball. You will have to pay me!! Muah-hahahahahaha :p

BangStik
10-12-2007, 08:20 AM
I stopped buying Smart Parts products years ago and will never again.....Way to go Smart Parts you are single handedly ruin paint ball one patent at a time.

Anjin3515
10-12-2007, 08:35 AM
I am going to patent the use of trees in games....

from now on all woodsball players, and any children playing an sort of game in a wooded area will have to pay me......

mostpeople
10-12-2007, 08:49 AM
They probably saw G-Forces pneumatic frames..

just wait for the C&D order.

Rudz
10-12-2007, 09:01 AM
whores....

kevdupuis
10-12-2007, 09:12 AM
The question is, " Is any one going to step up and challenge the application?" or is the industry going to let this go through un-contested.

Gecko
10-12-2007, 09:43 AM
Depends how deeply KEE and SP are in bed with each other

[NA]WARLORD
10-12-2007, 09:57 AM
This goes a lot deeper then a gas line thruogh a grip fella's. This could possibly halt the production of our highly anticipated pnue frames based on these:

Claims

2. A paintball gun according to claim 1, wherein the transfer path is a tube arranged within the rear hand grip.

3. A paintball gun according to claim 2, wherein the tube is flexible.

4. A paintball gun according to claim 1, wherein at least one of the pneumatic components is a solenoid valve.

5. A paintball gun according to claim 4, wherein the solenoid valve is configured to transfer compressed gas to a surface area of a piston to control a loading or firing operation of the paintball gun.

6. A paintball gun according to claim 5, wherein the piston is a bolt piston coupled to a bolt and wherein compressed gas is transferred through the solenoid valve to the bolt piston to operate the bolt.

7. A paintball gun according to claim 6, wherein the bolt further acts as a firing mechanism such that as the bolt moves forward, the bolt releases compressed gas from the paintball gun through the bolt.

11. A rear hand grip for a paintball gun, comprising: a connection mechanism for connecting the rear hand grip to a compressed gas supply; and a supply port configured to receive compressed gas from the compressed gas supply directly into the rear hand grip with no external hoses.

12. A rear hand grip according to claim 11, further comprising a transfer path configured to transfer compressed gas from the supply port to an input port of the paintball gun.

13. A rear hand grip according to claim 12, wherein the transfer path comprises a tube connected to the supply port.

14. A rear hand grip according to claim 13, wherein the tube comprises a flexible hose.

15. A rear hand grip according to claim 11, further comprising a threaded connection mechanism arranged in a rearward portion of the hand grip to permit connection to a paintball gun body and to a removable internal pneumatic assembly of the paintball gun.

16. A pneumatic paintball gun, comprising: an upper body having an internal chamber configured to receive a pneumatic assembly; a pneumatic assembly arranged within the internal chamber, said pneumatic assembly comprising a bolt and a bolt piston; a rear hand grip connected to the upper body through one or more connection mechanisms, said rear hand grip comprising a supply port configured to receive compressed gas directly into the rear hand grip; and a transfer path arranged within the rear hand grip and configured to transfer compressed gas from the supply port to the upper body of the paintball gun.

17. A pneumatic paintball gun according to claim 16, wherein the paintball gun does not have any external tubes or hoses for supplying compressed gas to the paintball gun.

18. A pneumatic paintball gun according to claim 16, wherein the rear hand grip is connected to the upper body using a connection mechanism that also attaches to a removable component of the pneumatic assembly.

19. A pneumatic paintball gun according to claim 16, wherein the rear hand grip further comprises a connection mechanism for connecting to a compressed gas regulator.

20. A pneumatic paintball gun according to claim 16, further comprising a solenoid valve configured to receive compressed gas from the transfer path and to supply compressed gas to the bolt piston to operate the bolt.

MichaelMcKen
10-12-2007, 10:49 AM
Argh!

Anyone want (or know anyone that wants) a slightly used SP-8 Tactical??
:mad:

txrabbit
10-12-2007, 11:08 AM
when has smart parts ever routed the air supply directly through the grip? that's a hugh load of bull! sp is going to ruin the sport... again.

rabidchihauhau
10-12-2007, 11:21 AM
whoever listed the claims - good job, but you left out the first claim, upon which all else are dependant. If that got knocked out for prior art, they'd have nothing left.

and you are right - it most definately could be targeted at pneumatic frames - in which case they will have to cite the PTP, DW & GF patents; PTP & DW definately predate their 2004 initial filing, so there's no way that they could gain control of that tech...

Don Carnage
10-12-2007, 11:42 AM
Better order your G-Force frames quick. Hopefully they'll ship out before the C&D Order arrives.

reflective
10-12-2007, 11:44 AM
This has just given me an idea for the next big thing to revolutionize the paintball industry................

Inventing a way to put smart parts out of business.

Empyreal Rogue
10-12-2007, 12:05 PM
This has just given me an idea for the next big thing to revolutionize the paintball industry................

Inventing a way to put smart parts out of business.

A world-wide boycott would do the trick.

But since they're slowly taking control of the market they can afford to make and sell cheap electros. Thus the convenience becomes more important than performance and efficiency.

[NA]WARLORD
10-12-2007, 12:05 PM
whoever listed the claims - good job, but you left out the first claim, upon which all else are dependant. If that got knocked out for prior art, they'd have nothing left.

Sorry, I just skimmed it to where it was talking more about the components and their relation to the pnueframe, trying to stray away from the whole airline thru the grip conversation. Most people chose one area to gripe about then miss the big picture all together. My fault, i'll try to be more accurate next time. ;)

and you are right - it most definately could be targeted at pneumatic frames - in which case they will have to cite the PTP, DW & GF patents; PTP & DW definately predate their 2004 initial filing, so there's no way that they could gain control of that tech...

I think SP is targeting the upper priced markers on the market, imo, but reading thru the entire thing made me think that our long awaited pnue frames could also be targeted as well. I don't see why SP would target an upgrade to a mech marker, considering they dont even manufacture one, or maybe they are scared that these new innovative products for our outdated technology, could possibly hurt sales of there low end electro line. Maybe they were planning on releasing a mech Mag clone with pnuematic operation. With those guys, who knows whats up their collective sleeves.

Maybe if the more popular paintball websites took a stand on against SP and started imposing word filter violations and no support forums for their products, they may just back off a bit, but we all know that the most popular (not necessarily the best) website won't because SP advertises on it. Funny how much influence money has on integrity. :rolleyes:

mostpeople
10-12-2007, 12:23 PM
Smart Parts ~ Walmart?

Btw smart parts sells ions at walmart

B-Pow
10-12-2007, 12:25 PM
That's it, they are so fired....

if only... :(

Yea, I never would purchase one of their products new (I did get a used ion at work a few months ago), but after this crap I'll never get another porduct of theirs or affiliated with them again (including anything with their silly barrel threading).

Last straw.

FU-SP! :cuss:

Dark Side
10-12-2007, 12:30 PM
whores....

That's putting it tactfully.

I have something much more closer to the truth to say but Beemer will ban me for it.

[NA]WARLORD
10-12-2007, 12:33 PM
Btw smart parts sells ions at walmart

Only online, they don't actually carry them in the stores.

randel
10-12-2007, 01:08 PM
we need to make a plan so that we can stop them

something sneaky that they would never expect like patenting the use of crappy materials in paintball guns :ninja: because then they wouldn't be able to make any of there guns

:shooting: :shooting: :shooting: smart parts

Bartman
10-12-2007, 01:16 PM
Hmm,

It leads me to say this,

"if you can't make a great gun, buy a team to make it look good, and if you can't beat them , then make them pay to use your papare work"

Bartman

Lomarandil
10-12-2007, 01:26 PM
Hmm

AO pitches in, buys out SP, releases patents, then uses the equipment and design ideas to get AGD back to where it once was? (we'd have to entirely revamp the materials.. but.. hey)

:D

Lo

Lenny
10-12-2007, 01:34 PM
Grab your rifles, men! I know of two people asking for new faces! :shooting:

BangStik
10-12-2007, 02:00 PM
Better order your G-Force frames quick. Hopefully they'll ship out before the C&D Order arrives.
Doesn't G-Force have a patent?

Engus
10-12-2007, 02:24 PM
I thought that g-force got a license from PTP's patent about pneumatic triggers

grEnAlEins
10-12-2007, 02:52 PM
WARLORD']I don't see why SP would target an upgrade to a mech marker, considering they dont even manufacture one, or maybe they are scared that these new innovative products for our outdated technology, could possibly hurt sales of there low end electro line. Maybe they were planning on releasing a mech Mag clone with pnuematic operation. With those guys, who knows whats up their collective sleeves.
Royalties are one prospective motive here. The was things are going with their getting patents they could make money off of every marker purchased, electro or not, SP or not.

/Just sayin

warbeak2099
10-12-2007, 03:21 PM
Seriously though, it's not going to hold up. There's way too much prior art. The whole electronic firing system deal had its gray areas. This is pretty black and white.

Anjin3515
10-12-2007, 03:31 PM
You want to stop SP ....here is how.

damage yourself seriously using one of their products and sue them.

rinse, get new person, repeat.....

then do a class action law suit.....

all we need is a few hundred brave people to take some serious damage for the cause.

Engus
10-12-2007, 03:33 PM
You want to stop SP ....here is how.

damage yourself seriously using one of their products and sue them.

rinse, get new person, repeat.....

then do a class action law suit.....

all we need is a few hundred brave people to take some serious damage for the cause.

"my ion exploded and damaged my face" :rofl:

grEnAlEins
10-12-2007, 03:41 PM
Seriously though, it's not going to hold up. There's way too much prior art. The whole electronic firing system deal had its gray areas. This is pretty black and white.
Stranger things have happened though. Is it something to go crazy about, no; but, I feel that some concern is needed. That is just my opinion, but hey, what do I know? I am just some punk arsed 20-something college kid :cool:

temps
10-12-2007, 07:39 PM
when has smart parts ever routed the air supply directly through the grip? that's a hugh load of bull! sp is going to ruin the sport... again.

according ydna over at the guild forum here (http://www.network54.com/Forum/9013/message/1192203551/Without+reading+all+of+the+patent+app...) smart parts played around with routing air though the grip in the ion.

And yeah, I would think this can get thrown out pretty quick if anyone wants to challenge it by showing some prior art... but then this is dealing with patents and the law is very funny when it comes to them.

LK-13
10-13-2007, 09:16 PM
every one get a Yellow T-Shirt printed up like this
and wear it to your local field or shop when ever you go:

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u215/LK-13/spstoleinventcopy.jpg

maybe if we get enough people doing this, word will get back to Smart Parts.
if nothing else people will start talking about it and get a laugh out of the shirt.

MoeMag
10-14-2007, 01:30 AM
Ha. I just posted this thinking it was news... lol. Im already two pages behind.
SP FTL

tribalman
10-14-2007, 04:34 AM
[QUOTE='[NA]WARLORD']http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=4&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=%22smart+parts%22.AS.&OS=AN/%22smart+parts%22&RS=AN/%22smart+parts%22

well from that, part 1 is "an input port configured to receive compressed gas from the rear hand grip." or anything rear hand grip. last part states "wherein said compressed gas is to be supplied to one or more pneumatic components within the paintball gun; and a transfer path configured to route the compressed gas from the supply port to the input port. "

so if i use a remote and instead of putting the input at an ASA on a drop/rail on a grip frame i route it to the valve or some other grip, say an expansion chamber and then it goes into a valve or other pneu parts, it's ok? thats what i got from number 1. and if you don't use an ASA you are fine, right?

warbeak2099
10-14-2007, 01:10 PM
[QUOTE='[NA]WARLORD']http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=4&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=%22smart+parts%22.AS.&OS=AN/%22smart+parts%22&RS=AN/%22smart+parts%22

well from that, part 1 is "an input port configured to receive compressed gas from the rear hand grip." or anything rear hand grip. last part states "wherein said compressed gas is to be supplied to one or more pneumatic components within the paintball gun; and a transfer path configured to route the compressed gas from the supply port to the input port. "

so if i use a remote and instead of putting the input at an ASA on a drop/rail on a grip frame i route it to the valve or some other grip, say an expansion chamber and then it goes into a valve or other pneu parts, it's ok? thats what i got from number 1. and if you don't use an ASA you are fine, right?

You can do whatever you want since this patent would never hold up in court. I'm surprised the Gardner bros even tried this. They were around during the time of the Pro-am and Pro-lite, they should know how much prior art there is. their patent is simply a piece of paper and some bandwidth on the internet. Other than that it has no validity.

rabidchihauhau
10-14-2007, 01:46 PM
Forgetting for the moment the validity of the patent, here's what can happen:

someone builds a device that infringes. They market it.

The company owning the patent sends them a C&D. They ignore it.

Next:

lawsuit which they MUST answer in order to avoid summary judgement

finding of facts - the are forced to open their books; the patent holder now has a good idea of how much money they have

ooops, the lawsuit gets dragged out; meanwhile, an injunction is applied for and they have top stop selling the product. not only that, but the dealers they sold product to want to return it and get their money back.

forcing someone off the market is almost as good as getting them to sign a licensing agreement.

G-Force Tech
10-14-2007, 02:59 PM
G-Force has our own patents and is not associated with PTP in any way.

Garf

I thought that g-force got a license from PTP's patent about pneumatic triggers

rabidchihauhau
10-14-2007, 03:12 PM
I think we're talking about the SP patent, not the PTP patent. at least that's what I was talking about

Ninjeff
10-14-2007, 03:13 PM
G-Force has our own patents and is not associated with PTP in any way.

Garf

good to know.

ThePixelGuru
10-14-2007, 05:18 PM
I think many of you are forgetting that it's not the validity of the case that matters, it's how much money you can throw at it. The legal headaches are enough to force most paintball manufacturers under, even if SP doesn't have a valid case. Often it becomes cheaper just to give in and pay the damn royalties. You think SP really has a right to every paintball marker with a battery in it? No, but paying up or shutting down is easier and cheaper than fighting it.

warbeak2099
10-14-2007, 06:46 PM
Well here's the deal. This is only an application for a patent. KEE better contest it now rather than have to take it to court.