PDA

View Full Version : Is this the right path?

rios_creos
01-11-2002, 09:38 PM
Hi, I'm 15 years old and currently in the 10th grade.

I would like to become either a ballastics expert (work on paintballs and paintball barrels, perhaps even the guns)

The thing is, I love to read and argue about all the varying factors in paintballs and barrels.

I just registered here today and this is my first thread/post so I may have posted in the wrong forum but I wanted Tom and other paintball experts to help me out.

I would like to know what high school science/math/elective classes i should take to become better prepared for a career in the paintball field. I already have a back up plan which is to become a computer programmer/network administrator, and I've already received certificates to practice those fields right outta high school.

I have completed or am enrolled in physics hon., chem hon., alg I hon, alg II hon, cisco networking, BST 1, geom hon. Next year i'm planning on taking AP bio, AP lang, AP american gov./eco., and pre calculus.

i didn't bother mentioning my electives because they are the stuff required for graduation or just past mistakes i made. cough ART 3d ART 2d cough.

and what other classes do you think i should take to become more familarized with the paintball industries finer sciences.

thanks a lot.

rios_creos

Vegeta
01-12-2002, 12:15 PM
Well man, I'm not an expert, but I have been here long enough to talk to some. I am also interested in the feild, and I have found out some things about courses to take. Just to say, you list there is quite good. Basiclaly, Physics, Engineering, and Design are three vague areas. CAD development will almost be a must. Same as some advanced mechanical physics. If you design a gun, yet know nothing on how much every part should weigh, or how fast they should move, duration of valve opening, spring tension, etc etc.. you won't have a good gun, if a working one at all. Most of this stuff you will have to follow into colledge.

I would also, personally, like to know more about this, for I need to make a few plans. Paintball is one of the biggest thigns in my life, so I asked myself "Why not explore a career dealing with paitnball?"

Tom I'd love to hear from you about this.

Miscue
01-12-2002, 02:57 PM
If you're going to go into ballistics... you mostly likely won't be doing research. If you want to be able to put food on your table, more than likely you will have to concentrate on firearms... and have a technician's job.

If you want a better understanding of the physics of the paintball you will need at least two semesters of introductory calculus, some background in partial differential equations (intermediate calculus), a semester of calc based physics... and if you want to get into air resistance type stuff you will need another semester of physics or an engineering class that deals with it. But you are better off learning it outside of class, independently.

Based on what you have said, I would personally look into an engineering degree: Mechanical/Civil/Electrical/Computer/Computer Science. I'm leaning more towards Mechanical/Computer Science going off what you wrote. In almost all of these fields you will have to cover almost enough math to get you a degree in it... and you'll most definitely have to take calc based classical physics. You'll make progress towards a marketable degree, and you'll learn enough math/physics on the side to have a basic understanding of what's going on with paintball.

College can hold you back... and take time away from learning the things that is really important - and interesting to you. Don't count on college teaching you anything, learn what you want to learn on your own if you are truly passionate about a particular field.

rios_creos
01-12-2002, 07:16 PM
thanks to all who replied. but to the one above me, how would i go about completing these courses outside of class. (could this be independent study?) and would it be possible to do those things while still in high school, because i still have 2 and 1/2 years left. :(

and computer science was THE degree i was planning on taking before i thought of a career in paintball anyway. so it would be to my benefit to pursue it anyway.

and you also said that i'd have to take enough maths to basically get a degree in math, would it be possible to get a degree in math and computer science at the same time, or would i have to retake all classes over for each degree.

thanks a lot everyone.

and please more people respond.

Minimag4me
01-13-2002, 12:54 AM
in my school there is a community college right near it, we have the ability to take classes there if we are advanced enough. Talk to your guidance councelor about it or go to a career planning place.

Vegeta
01-13-2002, 11:50 AM
Paintball is a tough bussiness to find a job in. If I were you, make sure you get a degree in somethign that not only applies to paintball, but also applies to soemthign else that you like/want to do. Im my case, I do graphics/3D modelling, but also want to go itno paitnball R&D/manufacturing, so a good in between calss I could take that would apply to both would be CAD design/engineering or 3D presentation. That way, not only could I use it for paitnball, but for soemthing else I would like to follow.

rios_creos
01-14-2002, 04:08 PM
anyone else? i know there are more people here who have some great advice, so please post, we would like to hear from ya.

Miscue
01-14-2002, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by rios_creos
and you also said that i'd have to take enough maths to basically get a degree in math, would it be possible to get a degree in math and computer science at the same time, or would i have to retake all classes over for each degree.

thanks a lot everyone.

and please more people respond.

About an extra semester worth of math classes will get you a math minor if you're majoring in some kind of engineering... typically.

rios_creos
01-16-2002, 02:17 PM
thanks alot miscue and mini and all others.

but what exact field should i go into to get the broadest most basic degree that will work in paintball....like, i don't wanna get a degree that specializes in only chemistry like the chemistry of the balls and whatnot, because i want more options...i hope this makes sense, if not just ask me to clarify.

bjjb99
01-17-2002, 12:25 PM
rios_creos wrote:
>
> but what exact field should i go into
> to get the broadest most basic degree
> that will work in paintball....like, i
> don't wanna get a degree that
> specializes in only chemistry like the
> chemistry of the balls and whatnot,
> because i want more options...i hope
> this makes sense, if not just ask me to
> clarify.

I would suggest getting a bachelor's degree in physics, then getting an advanced degree in one of the engineering fields (mechanical would probably fit quite nicely). The physics provides a fairly broad background of knowledge with regards to how things should work, and the engineering shows how physical principles apply in a real-world setting. Naturally, the physics and engineering require significant mathematical skills, so math courses are necessary... you might even be able to pick up a minor (or a second major) in mathematics or computer science along the way.

With a physics/engineering background and good math and computer skills, you can perform an incredible range of interesting work.

BJJB, physicist.

CHK6
01-17-2002, 04:16 PM
All you really need is a thirst to learn and the intelligence to use it.

If your college bound anyways I'd go with civil and mechanical engineering with a minor in IEEE.

Else just start with the basics of throwing a baseball and start asking yourself a lot of questions and then figuring them out as you go.

Redkey
01-17-2002, 05:27 PM
Get an engineering degree and work for a company that pays well. Then, in your spare time, tinker away til your hearts content.

Personally, I don't think which classes you take are that important, well you don't want to spend all your time taking pottery classes. The whole purpose of the education is to teach you how to think, reason, learn and then look stuff up.

Above all, don't forget to take technical writing classes.

Jack

rios_creos
01-22-2002, 11:05 AM
thanks a lot all you guys.

anymore suggestions from those in the business or those who, like i, want to get into the business.

i know its very competitive and the jobs and few and far between, but if i get lucky, it'll be the funnest job i could possibly have.

Donnyluv
01-26-2002, 08:34 PM
Miscue: You stated differential equations as an intermediate calculus. I was required to have 3 calc classes as prerequisites for diff. eq.
rios_creos: I have a BS in Electrical Engineering. That won't help you near as much as a BS in mechanical engineering. Civil engineering is great for all around knowledge of a lot of different fields. But if you pursue civil you will soon find that the other disciplines refer to civil engineers as people who know a little about a lot of different things, but don't know a lot about anything. (No offense intended to anyone.) That's the way the degree is intended, to apply to a broad spectrum. Either way, you will need several Physics & Calculus classes, so be prepared. Hope this helps. :D

rios_creos
01-26-2002, 10:48 PM
don

the calc is no prob, i got math down real good for a 15 year old.

but physics, i mean jesus that was probably the most boring class i ever took. and i took it as a FRESHMAN which probably didn't help much either.

oh well, my physics teacher was really stupid, he knew a lot about physics but nothing about how to teach it. the son of a gun would try to teach us something for about two weeks, then talk for the rest of the semester about how the russian sub sank (this was last year) and what not.

thanks

bjjb99
01-27-2002, 03:32 PM
I'm sorry to hear that your physics class wasn't more interesting than it was. Physics is one of those subjects that really needs to be taught right. Simply presenting the material and expecting students to absorb it is perhaps the worst way to teach a physics course... it just puts folks to sleep. The teacher really needs to get the class asking "why do things work this way?" and then provide a means for the students to figure out the answer. I suppose I was fortunate in that my high school physics teacher really got people thinking about how and why the world behaved as it does.

In my work, I am asked all sorts of questions spanning several different fields of study. I am happiest when I have to answer "I don't know, but let's go figure out why." I know that I'll be doing some physics in such situations. :)

BJJB

Donnyluv
01-27-2002, 08:30 PM
Anybody remember "assume a solution"? You gotta love it! Too many variables to solve, yet you still get an answer. :D

deded
02-03-2002, 04:10 AM
It's too bad that you don't like your physics class, I really love mine right now. (but I'm on an independent study program, so there's less possibility of teacher error)But anyway, just keep at it. When I was a freshmen, sophmore, and junior, all of my math classes were interesting in their own little ways, but no really exciting at all. Once you are a senior (or once you are taking "college" level courses) You get to do the fun stuff. On the first day of my physics class, we got to calculate exactly where a ball would land when rolled off of a table. It was crazy to finally utilize all of the math I had learned to do something so concrete.

Now I'm starting to really notice that kind of thing... numbers really mean something. Like... the derivative of acceleration is speed, and the derivative of speed is position. Calculus is thought of as so complex but it actually makes things so simple.

I personally am going to be an astrophysicist, go to the moon and play paintball there. Imagine the accuracy with lower gravity and no air resistance! Who needs elves anyway?!

And for studying outside of school: check out MIT's website. They recently released almost all of their coursework to the public for free! This sometimes includes as little as a reading list, but sometimes as much as an entire course, including textbooks in pdf format.:D