PDA

View Full Version : possible smart parts idea

magmonkey
10-18-2007, 09:04 AM
I know this must have come up before, but I will ask again
what about sitting down as a collective, looking through smart parts patents and making improvment to them? file for a improvement patent as a group of inventors, liscence said patent to whoever wants to get into manufacturing for $1.00 (I belive you have to protect your patent or it can lapse)
just a thought.

Chaos_Theory!
10-18-2007, 09:06 AM
You havnt been keeping tabs on the current smart parts patent situation have you?

magmonkey
10-18-2007, 09:14 AM
yes I have, very much so. my thought is, if the patent is improved upon by another party, and re issued to this not as evil other party, liscencing of its content could become more afordable and not such a deal with the devil.

Hilltop Customs
10-18-2007, 09:25 AM
yes I have, very much so. my thought is, if the patent is improved upon by another party, and re issued to this not as evil other party, liscencing of its content could become more afordable and not such a deal with the devil.

If you improve something you still have to pay royalties. If someone makes a chair(smart parts) and patents it, then you(you) add a back to the chair and want to patent it, you have to get a license from the original inventor. Then if someone else(other paintball companies) wants to add a back and arms to the chair, they have to pay BOTH you and the original chair inventor to legallly sell the chair with arms and back.

Hope that makes sense.

Mechanic79
10-18-2007, 10:05 AM
Who invented the standard and metric system. Don't all of these guns use screws? Shouldn't the inventor(s) get royalties?

Hilltop Customs
10-18-2007, 10:11 AM
patents have lifespan...after so many years they run out and basically become common knowledge, anyone can use them. Patents also have to be on a specific desing, not a idea or process. I'm not sure if it would be possible to patent a system like metric though(if you came up with a new one)

Mechanic79
10-18-2007, 10:44 AM
...and intellectual property?

it seems the cracks are larger and more numerous than the supports on which they stand.
(--"Fill in the cracks with judicial granite")

Patents seem good on the surface but a flawed, wild system over-all.

Hilltop Customs
10-18-2007, 12:26 PM
...and intellectual property?

it seems the cracks are larger and more numerous than the supports on which they stand.
(--"Fill in the cracks with judicial granite")

Patents seem good on the surface but a flawed, wild system over-all.

Intellectual property is just a generalized term for:
Patents
trademarks
copyrights
and something else that I cant think of at the moment

I said earlier that a process is not patentable, it was my mistake, they actually can be. I agree the patent system is flawed but it was created to protect the inventor(and give all knowledge to the government) Without this protection, the only way to make any money off a new product would be a massive release sale, because the product would quickly be copied.

Smart Parts thought of a quick and dirty way to make a lot of money. They can afford to sell their products at little to no profit(which they are no where close to doing) because it puches prices lower accross the market.....lower prices increase sales. Since they are getting a % of the price of each marker sold from other companies, they are still raking in the cash. They can say whatever they want, they have forced the competition to lower their profit margins while still paying what I imagine is a high royalty, thus putting them out of business.