PDA

View Full Version : Intmidation factor of different markers

Riot[Z-Grip]
01-12-2002, 10:43 AM
I'm not sure if this has been brought up before (most likely it has), but has anyone else noticed how mags aren't necessarily one of the "indimidating markers"? Articles I read always have quotes like "and they pulled out tricked 'cockers and Angels..... and we realized what we had gotten oursleves into", or similar. People who ask me about my gun mostly ask "What kind of gun is that?" and only 1-2 have actually been impressed by it.

It just seems to me, that if people were more intimidated by the 'Mag, more people would be using them. Instead of people seeing a nice looking cocker and being all like "That's deffinitely my next gun, now who can I get to buy my M98?" (Happened with me standing right next to that person 2 weeks ago.)

Post what you think.

-Riot

personman
01-12-2002, 10:49 AM
heck, one of my friends diddnt even know what a mag is, but he knew what a cocker and an angel was.. yeah, I see what you mean, but they are missing out on one of the best guns out there!

DrEvil
01-12-2002, 10:50 AM
start shooting more people. im not intimidated by any gun. I might get intimidated by a person that shoots me alot. Not neccisarily by what gun they have. At my local field there is a guy, an older guy, that probably has eliminated me in 80% of the games that Ive played against him. I have no idea what kind of gun he shoots. But if i saw him on the street I would know exactly who it was. I look forward to plaing against this guy, hes good.

Sledgehammer
01-12-2002, 10:57 AM
DrEvil, I'm intimidated by every gun that is pointed at me (as long as it's not a paintball gun)...

DrEvil
01-12-2002, 11:00 AM
you might have a point there. try hanging out on the other side of town

wicked_mag
01-12-2002, 11:53 AM
when i c guns that are intimidating i go for them on the field. your right though i mostly ppl don't find the mag too intimidating and ppl don't usually no what it is but they find out very soon... lol

Gunga
01-12-2002, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by IWannaRiot979
I'm not sure if this has been brought up before (most likely it has), but has anyone else noticed how mags aren't necessarily one of the "indimidating markers"? Articles I read always have quotes like "and they pulled out tricked 'cockers and Angels..... and we realized what we had gotten oursleves into", or similar. People who ask me about my gun mostly ask "What kind of gun is that?" and only 1-2 have actually been impressed by it.

It just seems to me, that if people were more intimidated by the 'Mag, more people would be using them. Instead of people seeing a nice looking cocker and being all like "That's deffinitely my next gun, now who can I get to buy my M98?" (Happened with me standing right next to that person 2 weeks ago.)

I've had people (typically Spyder/Tippmann/Pirhana/etc users) at my field ask me a whole buncha stuff about my Mag when there were electronic gun users about. Perhaps it has to do with the Mag being midrange in price. Most people can't afford or justify spending a ton of $$ on a 'supermarker'. Might as well look at and ask about guns that you may realistically purchase. Mags give you good bang for the buck.

Also, in my opinion anyway, for your typical recreational player (tourney players are a vast minority of paintball players), an electronic gun is overkill. Sure, it'd be nice to have one, but in the end, is it really worth the extra $$? Unless you really really suck, you're not going to need to shoot 13+ bps to take out your typical recballer, whether they're a first time newbie or have been playing for 15+ years like me. Heck, if you wanna shoot that much paint at me, go right ahead. I'll just patiently wait until you run out of ammo, all the while shaking my head at all the ammo & $$ you're wasting. :D

As for playing against Joe Blow who has the 'latest greatest' Cocker/Impulse/Shocker/Angel/E-Mag/whatever, it personally doesn't matter to me. I focus more on the player. I've seen plenty of people who have these expensive guns whose only game is to shoot a lot. But also, I've seen plenty of people who have electronic guns who are really good. Fine with me. The better you are, the more fun it is. For me anyway. A nice challenge. :)

Sure, I can appreciate a nice looking E-Mag or whatever, but does it intimidate me? Nah. Getting shot is getting shot, no matter what gun is used to shoot you. It's going to hurt the same. Unless you get shot in the Family Jewels. :) But that's what cups are for.

gibby
01-12-2002, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Gunga

...Unless you get shot in the Family Jewels. :) But that's what cups are for.

Man, there's not a single time when I've played that I haven't feared about getting hit in the "Family Jewels." Especially after I hear stories about it and how it turned a 30 year old man into a crying baby. Makes me want to get a cup for myself!

Gee, does AGD make cups? If so, I'll bet they're the best around! ;)

Bonx0007
01-12-2002, 12:56 PM
yeah they look like lions.;)

Drewboy_34
01-12-2002, 02:07 PM
yeah believe me, it doesnt feel good...Ive been shot in my jewels twice in the same time....very painful......

personman
01-12-2002, 02:19 PM
GOD! And you can still wizz? <big><B><u><i>UNBELIVEABLE!</i></u></b><big>

FooTemps
01-12-2002, 02:26 PM
I'm usually intruiged when i see someone with a nice gun. I want to play them. I want to see how good the player really is and not base it on the gun...

Drewboy_34
01-12-2002, 02:27 PM
yeah thankfully it was like from 30-40 yards away....it took me a while to get up and walk though

FaSSt
01-12-2002, 05:34 PM
Any shiny gun with a long barrel wows newbies.

Newbies can't tell a Cocker from a shiny RT or an Angel. I even had a friend of mine playing for the first time with me ask whether a shiny Spider clone some guy was carrying around was more than $1,000.

People who play at least a few games see what players can do, not just guns.

PRO_Ski101
01-12-2002, 06:24 PM
I dont if i was cuz they were newbie's but when i unleashed my rt over the chronograph,even the guy wit the angel had an expresion on his face like"thats gunna hurt".i heard one guy say"i'm DIFFENATLEY on your team".but i dont think it was cuz the looks ov the gun,only the speed it could shoot at.

alf
01-12-2002, 10:57 PM
this is funny...kids think just because you got a cool lookin gun, youre good...

my z-grip mag gets more looks from them, but my e-mag is LOTS better...

intimidation:
1. jersey (if 2-3 of your friends have the same jersey, LOOK OUT)
2. color coordinated scheme (barrel, gloves, mask, etc)
3. talking to the owners like you go there all the time
4. having the ref say "which side do YOU want?"
5. GOGGLESKINS
6. scuba tank
7. lol..having about 3-4 other guns with you
8. z-grip
9. warp feed

but, we were talking about the intimidation factor of mags...yeah, i dont get much "OH WOW" from mags, unless there is the Z-grip, or warp feed is attached...THOSE make newbies say "what is THAT??"

J
01-12-2002, 11:09 PM
I usually am intimidated, but it always wares off, unless the guy is REALLY good, but there have only been like 2 of those.

But Mags, they are very common where I play, so most people arn't too intimidated. Tho just recently my gun seriously intimidated some of my Mom's friend's children who just got into PaintBall. It felt pretty cool:rolleyes:

intimidation:
5. GOGGLESKINS
6. scuba tank
8. z-grip
9. warp feed

I second this :)

PigusRT
01-12-2002, 11:18 PM
I'd have to agree with the intimidation factor. Although I've gotten a few looks at my Classic RT, my brother tends to get more with his shinny BLUE Autococker STO, even though I tend to tag him 90% of the time

FooTemps
01-12-2002, 11:27 PM
Get custom jersies made! Must have black/grey honeycomb urban cammo type jersies to freak out newbs!

deded
01-12-2002, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by alf

intimidation:
5. GOGGLESKINS
6. scuba tank
8. z-grip
9. warp feed

might want to add "team name stickers" somewhere to this list.

Intimidation works well in the staging area, but I can never tell what gun someone is shooting at me with anyway. I get more intimidated, or at least cautious, when I see 10+ balls in the air at the same time as soon as I poke my head out.

Thats why warps are the most intimidating thing on the field, you can tell when someone has one because you can't see it (or the hopper.) And it allows for a higher ROF.

MajorDamage
01-12-2002, 11:36 PM
Ive found that a Model98 RT will scare the crap outta n00bs lol. Its funny. Also anyone with a jersey must be a pro!

ENDO!

FooTemps
01-12-2002, 11:41 PM
Once we get a team started we're gettin jersies and all flex 7 masks... Black Grey urban cammo honeycomb style like the very top of this page and black flex 7's.... Then we wear black/grey gloves too. We'd make newbs piss their pants and go home before playing at all! lol... I'm j/k'ing of cource cause i can't afford that...

clockworkmiller
01-13-2002, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by IWannaRiot979
"That's deffinitely my next gun, now who can I get to buy my M98?"

Thats EXACTLY what I said. Only I was talking about getting a mag.

Also, with intimiadation, my friends and I rule the day. Besides all of us owning our own jereseys, gloves, JT pants, harnesses, and <B>*POOF*</B>, theres a certain attitude that helps a lot. Using the paintball slang seriously unerves first and second time players who arent used to people saying "Dude, did you see me gog that <B>*POOF*</B> when he tried to bunker your punk <B>*POOF*</B>*?" (When I said that, this girl who was with us just looked up at me and said "what the hell did you just say?")

Also, talking to newbies like they arent intimidates them. If you treet them like they expect to be treated, then nothing is gained nor lost. Treat them like they know what they are doing, and you get them trying to prove themselves, which in the beginning, means a lot of mistakes like failed rushes etc.

And the less your gun looks like other paintball guns, how shiny it is, and the paint you're using helps. My m98 with flatline wasnt terribly intimidating when compared to the stock m98 with revy cause it looked more like something newbies wish they had (although after the first game, distance won the day). Shiny is better for intimidation. Rentals arent shiny, they look like trash; well kept guns with chrome and nickel finishing plus polished black is very scary (also milling/anodizing helps, although this is more part of looking less like other guns). The final thing was really funny. A newbie first learns about guns, then he learns about equipement, then he learns about paint. I was shooting marbelizers out of my m98, and a lot of people were intimidated by that cause my friend made a comment that they would hurt, since they have a thick shell. I was avoided very carefully on the field during the next game because of it.

Anyways...intimidation is about two things: look and attitude. And if you want to intimidate someone, act like you have all the answers, even when you dont. And dont empathise with them, then they think of you as a friend, not someone to look up to and aspire to be (trust me on this one)

How much more machievellian can I get?

<B>*Watch the language*</B> -Miscue

pntbawlrmz
01-13-2002, 01:36 AM
This is why I love this forum, sadly to say I am not a mag owner anymore but will always come to this site. For me, I'm not really sure if its intimidation or nervousness when I go out and play, I told my friend I was nervous and he laughed, I don't see a problem with it because it just heightens your senses. When my new baby arrives I'll post it here, even though I'm sure it'll get plenty of sarcastic comments. Then you can see what I'll be intimidating newbs with.

clockworkmiller
01-13-2002, 01:40 AM
sorry Miscue. normally Im really good at catching myself, but Ive been up for 23 hours, so I must have just slipped up. Sorry. Keep up the good work.

Bonx0007
01-13-2002, 03:28 AM
clock that's not the strategy you use at practice is it?j/k

clockworkmiller
01-13-2002, 03:59 AM
Of course not. This is a recball thing. If your playing speedball, it takes a pro team to intimidate most of the players.

Speaking of which, how's AO SO CAL going?

athomas
01-13-2002, 10:03 PM
If you want major intimidation, put a red dot sight or a scope on your paintball gun.

My mag has a nice three piece equations barrel, 88ci Pure Energy air bottle, Kapp drop forward, Kapp fore grip on a rail extender, etc. It looks cool.

I have hauled my mag out at our local field on several occasions, and really didn't get any special attention until I shot everyone on the field. At the same field, I have gotten out my old Rebel 90 pump gun and put a red dot sight on it. All of a sudden people are going around saying "Hey, did you see that guy's gun. I want to be on his team.", and everyone wants to see my cool gun. The red dot sight has been my biggest intimidating piece of equipment since I started playing paintball in 1989.

rhetor22
01-13-2002, 10:11 PM
when you look at a normal mag, its only a funky looking barrel and a trigger really. When you look at a cocker its this giant mass of tubes, metal objects, cylinders, elves, etc. The funny thing is that the mag being a tube works just as well as the cocker!

Some one should paint their mag like a tiger, and get a leash that is all torn up and tie it around the hopper, with a spiked collar. That would be intimidating.

kenshinkandon
01-14-2002, 06:17 AM
I find nothing intimidating about a cocker that has the back block moving back and fourth(first time I saw one I thought the thing was broken) and angels I'm really not scared of a gun that can take the temp and vibrate. Now when I show up at my local field and walked into a team practice with Team Lockout and Fury and another team called GRC (this happened yesterday) then I got a little scared needless to say after playing a couple of games I realized that they were no super paintball players they get taken out just like any other player and they were really nice guys I had alot of fun and learned alot about how paintball teams operate.